Texas Road Warriors --- Allentown Assault

old-tank

I made it from Evansville Indiana through Kentucky and West Virgina to Wheeling West Virgina tonight.. 

Beautiful country, I am glad I did not go through Columbus or Cincinatti. It was much prettier driving through the trees and valleys.

Stopped and had dinner with Scottie and Wanda, 2 BCA members who have moved into a big house in a small town on the Ohio river.

Car went through 44444 mileage today. Pretty good for a 56 year old.

On to Allentown tomorrow.

• Like 7

Plus you will be able to bring all my parts I am buying home.

Made it to Allentown today, for any of you saying at the Renaissance, be prepared. It is RIGHT downtown and parking is tricky. 

Great hotel though.  Also, the main freeways coming from the west is full of construction zones. Glad it was Sunday.

Meeting and set up starts today. Cars start coming in tomorrow. 

Drive safely my friends.  Stay away from Philly, Roads are closed and police checkpoints due to the DNC.

• Like 5

Another 340 miles:  hot,hot, hot...95-100, but the ac is still blowing cold.  Visited Lamar along with Doug Cook.  Engine temp running 195-220 on the road, with some pinging over 200.  Rare trip through Atlanta without any slow down, but still white knuckles and wet arm pits.  Hope it is cooler heading north through western Virginia.  Big push tomorrow with lite day to arrive on Wednesday.
Willie

• Like 6

On July 24, 2016 at 10:24 PM, old-tank said:

We will stop and harass Lamar tomorrow.

Willie

and harass he did!  Only thing he had to say about my half completed new garage was " where are the Buick's, why don't you have Buick's in it already, I see room for at least six!"   And the old cod walked right by all my 54s straight to all the derelict 55 parts cars. :D:lol: But at least I enjoyed visiting with Mary Ann, what a sweet pleasant lady. :Dand I got to see that beautiful 55 Century 4 dr ht, always enjoy seeing it. 

Father Buick left this morning after a fun hot day of pulling parts. Always enjoy the blessings of his visits. He will be pulling in on Wednesday I think.

Happy Buick trails everybody!!!

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, buick5563 said:

Why would driving modern iron be without drama?

Made it to Nashville in one day. Was supposed to be in DC tonight. Heat and speed shred old tires.

image.jpeg

I'm guessing you Texas boy's are wondering what those big green lumpy things in the back ground are. ;)..............Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, buick5563 said:

Remember, I'm from DC Bob.

BTW, what wine was I supposed to pick up in payment for my bet?

Anything with a cork. I can't remember the bet but I'll pretend I know why I won.

DC is an awfully good place to be FROM.......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

390 miles today...260 miles tomorrow, then party time!  Still overall 16mpg.  Today drove 200 miles in hot blazing sun then cloudy and rainy the rest of the way.  Still need ac the whole time.  Major stress test on the old iron.

Willie

• Like 4

Got into DC just now. 12:30 am after driving all day. I had an interesting thought earlier. The argument for driving hot rods is that you can go to any Pep Boys and pick up parts easier than original parts. There is truth to that, but when my 55 Special had a rotor go bad, it only took me two hours to locate and install one. An F-250 with 10 ply truck tires that you want highway treads on is really hard to find and ended up taking four hours extra of changing, driving buying etc. So while this is neither a Buick nor really that dramatic, it is yet another long road trip with my (now 13 year old) son, making memories and having laughs amidst the chaos.

Bob, our bet had something to do with something or other. Willie should remember what the bet was, cuz I believe he lost, as well. Somebody needs to locate that thread. Buick Jim was in on it too.

WAIT... It was a "my horn doesn't work" issue in post-war.

• Like 2

Texas Road Warriors --- Allentown Assault ....Arrival, but it feels like I have been assaulted.  No more high speed congested driving for a few days.  1900 miles, google maps said 1750 (maybe it was the detour to the boondocks to find Lamar.  Hope the city streets are kinder.  We are at the Hampton Inn, Bethlehem in case anyone has extra beer:D.

No more updates until the return trip.

Willie

Edited by old-tank (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Arrived at the show  this morning about 1000. Already blazing hot. Got to the entrance to the field itself and was getting my space assignment when the 55 died. The dreaded vapor lock! After an hour or so of sitting with the hood up I got it fired up with help of the ground crew and drove straight home, onto the lift, and I installed a back up electric fuel pump. Will try again tomorrow.

I probably would have left soon anyway. Just a handful of cars, vendors still setting up, and blazing hot. You Texans will feel right at home.

My impressions of the show, so far, are that this show will go down as the gold standard of car show organizational achievement.

Take 2 coming up tomorrow but I'm guessing the heat will drive me out by around 1400. Got to get the grass mowed anyway..............Bob

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Arrived at the show  this morning about 1000. Already blazing hot. Got to the entrance to the field itself and was getting my space assignment when the 55 died. The dreaded vapor lock! After an hour or so of sitting with the hood up I got it fired up with help of the ground crew and drove straight home, onto the lift, and I installed a back up electric fuel pump. Will try again tomorrow.

I probably would have left soon anyway. Just a handful of cars, vendors still setting up, and blazing hot. You Texans will feel right at home.

My impressions of the show, so far, are that this show will go down as the gold standard of car show organizational achievement.

Take 2 coming up tomorrow but I'm guessing the heat will drive me out by around 1400. Got to get the grass mowed anyway..............Bob

Hot?  This is pleasant!

• Like 3

Now that things are completed for another year, I hope and wish everybody a safe and enjoyable trip to the origination of this excursion.  Or an after-tour.  Rejoice in the fun you've had and safely return home to prepare for another trip on another day.

Best wishes,

NTX5467

• Like 4

I have had a fun couple of days headed home.  Left Sunday and headed to Gettysburg. We drove around until it got too hot and then headed toward Roanoke VA. Drove through torrential rain in Maryland. Those folks sure drive differently, they put their flashers on and pull off the road. I just kept going, rained so much the rain x wore out.

Spent the night in Troutville VA and had a goo dinner with a couple of beers.

Morning, I got gas and immediately the car started running poorly.  Made it as far as Bristol VA where I saw a Buick Dealer. Pulled in and was surrounded by everyone.Told them my issues and they replaced the fuel filter. The owner gave me a hat and offered me a car to go to lunch but we were not hungry. Crabtree Buick is the dealer and the owner is 2nd Generation Buick Dealer.  Very nice folks.

Unfortunatly, that was not the issue so after another 100 or miles we pulled into an Exxon Station in Bug Gap TN. Asked a local if there was anyone who could look at old cars and they suggested a wrecking service down the road. Carl, the technician got after it and with my help (or Hindrance) we cleaned the points and reset the timing. Car ran better but afer hitting a big bump, we started having the same issues again. By this time it was 3 30 pm and we were driving west. A/C was not keeping up with the sun, so we ducked into a Holiday Inn 2 hours east of Nashville. There is a Mexican restaurant that will get my business tonight.

Tomorrow, when the car is cool, I will see about adjusting the points again.

• Like 6

This sounds hokey, but throw a can of heet in the gas tank.  I had a very similar issue with the 58 two years ago.  Filled up at the gas station and instantly the car ran like poo.  I went through hell in the parking lot of the hotel trying to figure it out, and someone finally went to the store and bought me a can of Heet.  5 minutes later, I was running normal again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smartin said:

This sounds hokey, but throw a can of heet in the gas tank.  I had a very similar issue with the 58 two years ago.  Filled up at the gas station and instantly the car ran like poo.  I went through hell in the parking lot of the hotel trying to figure it out, and someone finally went to the store and bought me a can of Heet.  5 minutes later, I was running normal again.

What Adam is saying is that perhaps you picked up some water. Heet is methanol and adsorbs water . It will even melt ice in the fuel lines. We used it in the air brake system in our trucks before the advent of air dryers.

Good luck

Ben

• Like 1

Found my issue this morning as We took off the Air cleaner and the car died. Loose wires on the coil was part of the culprits. I dont know who put those wires on, but he lives at my house. He needs to be fired.  Anyway reattaching that wire fixed a majority of my issues.

Still a minor issue was occurring, stopped at an auto parts store for Heat, but ended up using Seafoam and octane booster.  Ran great the rest of the day.

We stopped in Nashville to see friends and found 93 octane non ethyonal gas and filled it up with that. Could not tell the difference.

70 mph all the way to Memphis and a downtown hotel. 3300 miles so far, going to try for Austin tomorrow. Going to have to leave early though as the A/C is not keeping up with the sun in our faces all afternoon.

• Like 5

460 miles to Port Allen LA...just west of Baton Rouge. Pooped!  400+ to home and another 70 miles to pick up the critters.

Everything at this point is functioning well even the ac.  As Mike says 'everything is dialed in'.

Still maintaining 16 mpg with lots of hills and ac engaged.

Willie

• Like 5

Home about 4 PM Tuesday after and 11 hour day in the Texas heat. Left Memphis at 5 am trying to beat some of the heat. Did well till about noon and then we started cooking. 

Tried opening the windows through Dallas but it was not any better.  A/C ran fine until Monday afternoon, still getting cold air out at the vents, just not cooling the car.

Car ran fine all day but still have some crap in the gas. will have to drain the tank now that I am home.

Speedometer broke on Sunday, it reads 120 mph all the time and the Speedminder goes off when you are sitting still. Not to mention the grinding noises it makes. 

'Over all a good trip, Almost 4000 miles (3980) in our new (to us) 1960 Electra. Comfortable, easy car to drive.  Likes 68 MPH, but will cruise all day at 75 when you are in a hurry to get home. Eats lots of premium fuel, I would say 10 - 12 mpg but have not figured the total trip out yet.  

Had a great time at the meet, seeing a lot of people I only see once a year.

See you all again next year.

Below is the picture of my car at the Buick Dealer in Bristol VA. Nicer bunch of folks could not be found.

IMG_0843.jpg

• Like 9

Bill,

Glad to see you, Dee and the car are home safe, despite a few incidents.  Glad I did not have your distance as the fuel line in the Reatta started leaking after getting home and starting the 10 mile trip to our storage garage.

And it was a pleasure working with you and Dee on the bus trips.  Thanks for your guidance.

John.

Got home yesterday.  430 miles from Allen Springs LA.  Car is running and cooling well and ready to go again after inspection and oil change.  3800 miles total at 16 mpg; 1.5 qt oil used.  Moving avg speed 62 mph; highest speed 92 mph:o.

Made it through Houston and never dropped below 55 mph (a new record).

Noticed all over the country a lot of trucks with plain white vans and cabs with only a few numbers:  Oooooo..x-files?

Had to get south of Birmingham AL before I could again start using turn signals to change lanes...if you tried that north of there traffic would immediately close the gap.

Roads were in better repair this year (but then again I did not drive through Oklahoma or Arkansas) and never did get caught in any prolonged traffic jams.

The Diamond back radials on Toyo casings are the best tires I have had on any vehicle:  smooth quiet and responsive!

One thing for sure that will get changed since the car is not judged anymore are the headlights.  Driving back from the banquet in the rain with dim lights and my old dim eyes is not a good combination.  A little car behind me had its lights projecting under my car and that was a noticeable improvement for awhile.  Those with 6v sealed beams and earlier  probably had a worse time of it.

Great meet and people, but you never get to see everyone you want to see.

Note to National Meet committee:  stop having meets in July!  It is alway at least 2 days of hot driving to get out of Texas no matter how cool the meet location.  Early June?

Willie

• Like 7