Texas Road Warriors --- Allentown Assault

old-tank

Use the forum search feature (BCA General ... texas road warriors) to find some of our previous (mis)adventures.  It all started 11 years ago (http://forums.aaca.org/topic/71039-on-the-way-to-batavia/?hl=batavia).

This should serve as fair warning to anybody in our way north of Texas and an invitation to other drivers from Texas to join the fun.  There are no caravans, schedules or other requirements; just a bunch of independent contractors that sometimes end up at the same place.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

We will leave 7-24 and drive 400-450 miles a day in our 1955 model 63.  Just a few things to do.

Willie

• Like 7

We'll be waiting for you, and sending out warnings.  Be on the look out for horse and buggy travelers, if you get off the Interstates. For a change, I will be leaving the same day, but arriving that same day.

John

I would love to be part of that adventure......however my plans are uncertain as to what route I will be taking.  My wife decided this week she was not going and I am talking to a couple of friend to see if they want to go.

If that does not work out, I may go to Indiana and pick-up my brother.....so my route is uncertain.

Second issue.......cold brew in Pennsylvania, they have state liquor stores but you can only buy beer there by the case, if you want a 6 pack, you must go to a bar.  People more familiar with the state liquor laws may want to jump in and set us straight......however you may want to stock up before getting into the state.   I know this is an important issue because many Buick repairs do not get done without something cold.

• Like 6

If anyone is driving back from Allentown to Texas, interested in hitching a ride. Anywhere in Texas or cities/states to the north are OK. I can hire a rental car to DFW if needed.

I have a flight out of Dallas Fort Worth airport (DFW) back to Australia on Wednesday Aug 3rd at 22:00 (10:00pm). Will have some '39 parts that I have purchased since BCA Flint 2003, that are stored at a friends place Flint-Lansing area. I will be taking a rental car from the Flint-Lansing area to Allentown.

I am currently working out my detailed plans: hotels, rental cars & flights within USA

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

......cold brew in Pennsylvania, they have state liquor stores but you can only buy beer there by the case, if you want a 6 pack, you must go to a bar. 

How's that a problem?

Here it's the cheapest way to purchase - by the case, slab, carton or block!!

39 Buick,  We are not going to make the trip to Allentown this year but I am probably the closest BCA member to DFW airport.  You are welcome to come by here and stay for a day or two and I can easily shuttle you to your flight.  I would enjoy your company.  

Chuck Bloomberg

941 Harber Ave.

Grapevine, TX 76051

• Like 2

I am but I am just passing through not he way to Evansville to spend a few nights.

I am in the process of getting my A/C working so me and my wife don't have to sweat all over the new upolsetry in our 1960 Buick.

Replaced the rear wheel bearings that were grinding coffee and putting that dark sludge in the rear end. The stuff that came out of there looked like it never had been changed.

Just because the car had 40 K miles in 56 years, doesn't mean you should change the fluids.

Looking forward to getting on the road again and seeing some friends up there. I guess I am going to have to bring my own beer.

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:36 PM, old-tank said:

.  Also, participants should save up for gas and oil (we're driving Buicks after all) and stock up on sliced Barbeque Brisket and Fajitas...if gas prices go up any more consider baloney sandwiches.

Willie

"Don't forget about the SPAM"!!  As they used to say on tv.  And "real sugar" Dr. Peppers at 10-2-4.

NTX5467

As I am originally from eastern PA, near Allentown, I was trying to arrange a return to an appropriate Forum "Breakfast", but scheduling did not work out.  My main purpose was to get everyone to have a bit of Scrapple, or what I would say is SPAM, WITHOUT THE CAN.  Now, if I  can spare some time in the next two weeks, I will try to post a list of restaurants that offer scrapple on the menu.  Try it.  Especially good with apple butter, but possible not so good for your cholesterol.

John

• Like 2

Having worked for a company in Ivyland PA & visited many times, I have tried Scrapple & I can assure everyone that SPAM is much better. 

I think only the natives in and near PA like to eat that stuff...   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Whereas, many people worldwide continue to eat SPAM from a can; especially those in Hawaii.  We went to the SPAM Museum on our way to the national meet in Rochester MN.  It is one of the coolest museums of it's kind.  http://www.spam.com/museum

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It seems that all cultures eat disgusting stuff made from ingredients that would be illegal to put into dog food.  My German relatives made Panas and borrowed Tamales and Menudo from the local Mexicans.  None is heart healthy.

Here is my contribution to songs "stuck in your head": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiro-ZqkUMc

Pay back!

Willie

Edited by old-tank (see edit history)
  • Like 4

A/C fixed  Blowing 41 degrees out the vent. Almost cold enough o hang meat or your favorite meat subsitute.

On to the front wheel bearings, they both looked like they had never been changed. One side was bad bad bad, so they are both getting changed.

I may make it to Allentown....

• Like 3

On July 6, 2016 at 0:43 PM, old-tank said:

It seems that all cultures eat disgusting stuff made from ingredients that would be illegal to put into dog food.  My German relatives made Panas and borrowed Tamales and Menudo from the local Mexicans.  None is heart healthy.

Here is my contribution to songs "stuck in your head": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiro-ZqkUMc

Pay back!

Willie

Putt, Putt Putt. I have a 39 John Deere A and know that sound well. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1960 Buick Electra ready to go.  A/C is blowing 41 degree air at m e, the CD player has 10 CDs loaded up, tools and extra parts are put together and will go in the trunk tonight when the sun is behind the garage. Dee is washing clothes for a Wednesday morning drive to Little Rock.

Just because the car looked rather plain along the side, I had the car pin striped. Just a single line to accent the line that was already there.  Faded away at the rear quarter panel.

With a little luck it will make the car go faster.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 10

I am SOOOO looking forward to this year's National. I need to be immersed in old cars and old friends. I want to meet Matt Whitaker and Bob Beck. I want to see all of you guys I consider family. Even the ones I haven't met yet.

Heads up... if any of you D-bags talks politics, I WILL walk away. 

(Probably after calling you an idiot, regardless of affiliation).

Time to have some fun and catch up with my brothers and sisters. 

I'm ready. Wagon got the oil changed today and hit 90 on Mopac. Cold AC, too. Leaving next Monday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

Looked up  "alemite" and they make dispensing tools that would be appropriate for vegemite?

I was thinking of "alemite" from the Stewart-Warner "car food" group.  Including the "CD-2" variation.

12 hours ago, old-tank said:

Looked up  "alemite" and they make dispensing tools that would be appropriate for vegemite?

Mr Earl would have used an alemite gun when he used the vegemite I gave him to grease up one of those 54's!!!

So Willie - what tune is it going to be all the way to Allantown - happy little vegemites or that putt, putt, putt of the John Deere?  

• Like 2

Made it to Little Rock but not without some excitement. Last tank of gas I bought at 2 pm I started the car and both hot light and oil pressure light came on and would not go off quickly. Parked the car opened the hood and waited. I had checked the oil and I it was almost full and coolest was good too. To see if it would start I added another quart of oil to see if that would help. I don't know if it 

was that or the rest we gave the car but it ran after that.  I can't believe the oil would thin out that much as I am using 20 w 50.

Anyway I went 500 miles on 38 gallons of Premium.  13.1 with

ACgoing full blast. 

More tomorrow...

• Like 4

Made it to Evansville Indiana today. Going to spend some time here.   

Things  i have discovered this trip..

My odometer reads 10 % more then actual milage.

In southern Illinois on I 57, there is no gas and no food till Marion.

Roadwork sucks.

The cost of premium is 50 cents a galllon more then midgrade.

My car wont run on midgrade in this heat.

• Like 3

The 55 Century is loaded.  Liftoff tomorrow am from near San Antonio...next planned stop Baton Rouge.  We're taking the southern option from the map apps which might be cooler.  The main problem is Houston is in my way.

Willie

• Like 7

well not from Texas but we are leaving Kansas tomarrow morning and we wont stop till Indianapolis. Driving the Select 60 just hope the AC runs cool all the way.

Everybody please drive safe and don't run over any politicians.

Mike they don't want any F-250 In PA next week. They might think you are bringing more S***

• Like 5