Sign in to follow this  
truth

westinghouse shock

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bellevueimagineer/sets/72157669307608770/   more than one way to do something   w these old cars you just have to figure it out  if anyone has rebuild info on these monster shocks please post  ive found some but not much about rebuilding leather type washers etc.  this shock[the leaf spring socket] actually came out its mount and the car road higher on one side so this work was done just to get the telescoping cylinders to collapse together and reingage the leaf spring 

gallery_154063_269_868875.jpg

Google is your friend...  So is a Dyke's manual.

Hi , Tim. Are you a member of HCCA ? My mind is a bit foggy , but it seems it was about a year or so ago , they ran a very good article on these shocks. I remember after reading it , that I was left with mixed feelings about these impressive devices. When I was young , l think I would have put up with almost anything to have them. I realized that for me they probably would have been frustrating. I passed on a 1924 Cadillac phaeton so equipped. Bought a '24 7 pass touring w/o Westinghouse. Years later at the CLC Cadillac Centenial , I again came across the phaeton. A preservation class show car. The owner told me I picked the right car , as mine was turn key , while his suffered long term deferred maintainance. But , man those things look cool ! I wish I had bought both of them. I am far from home in terms of time and distance , or I could scan and send the article. Someone surely can help you. Congratulations for acquiring this huge wonderful FIAT. Your patience paid off. Very best of luck to you as you resurrect this automotive gem ! Get it going step by step , and I know everyone is feeling some of your thrill. Thanks for sharing with us. - Carl

You know what , Tim , I think it may have probably been CCCA which ran the article. Yeah. Scrambled grey matter these days. At this point it will only become more deficient. Surely someone will come to the rescue. Plenty of CCCA guys here.  - Old , demented , Carl