39_Chrysler

Paint color vs resale

I think it's less work to paint most houses in and out than to paint a car so picking the wrong color on or in a house unless it's a siding you can't repaint is not nearly as big a deal.  A lot less block sanding for sure. 

The last blue on the 4 door at the bottom looks correct to me or real close.  The other sedan looks like used car lot blue with no life to it and the one that appears to be possibly on an open car looks a bit too jazzy/ electric for the era.  Just my personal opinion of course. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Digger914 said:

You're going to redo an old car and your chrome is really good, but not shinny new perfect, the question comes; do you re-chrome? Some colors and some cars actually show better when the chrome has some patina, than they do with blinding bright shinny new chrome. When a car looks like a near perfect, maliciously maintained survivor, it catches the eye of every car guy and how a car shows affects its value.

I agree

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is it just me, or is this gray car simply STUNNING? Nice!

Um, yes it is.............

11 hours ago, F&J said:

...the experts said if you are building a new home for your family, or restoring an existing home, you should always do paint and carpets in neutral colors for resale....only tans or off whites,  So, I ask these experts...I spend 300 to 400 K on a home, but have to live with décor that I don't like?  I don't get it, and never will.

Excellent point, F & J!

The housing developments in my area are filled with bland,

builder-designed houses whose sides and backs are slathered in featureless tan vinyl.

One prospective lady buyer said, "I'm too young for beige!"

Ugh!  Those houses are like the modern gray 4-door sedans we see all over the place.

There's nothing like individuality and color.

It can and should be tasteful;  but don't "settle" for something you abhor.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is it just me, or is this gray car simply STUNNING? Nice!

Matt,  you hit the nail squarely on the head.....The designers were brilliant!

My '64 Riviera was beige when I bought it in 1978. I painted it a factory maroon in 1980. Changing the color hasn't been a value issue to this point. And I don't expect it to be.

Of course I did paint it "resale red"

Bernie

Excellent point, F & J!

The housing developments in my area are filled with bland,

builder-designed houses whose sides and backs are slathered in featureless tan vinyl.

One prospective lady buyer said, "I'm too young for beige!"

Ugh!  Those houses are like the modern gray 4-door sedans we see all over the place.

There's nothing like individuality and color.

It can and should be tasteful;  but don't "settle" for something you abhor.

Edited Friday at 9:05 AM by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• when I was younger, I painted houses for a living. A couple called me up and couldnt decide between a medium blue for their trim and a bright salmon. I encouraged them to go for the salmon.

needless to say, that was the last time I gave my opinion when asked. The house ended up looking like it was on fire!

The owners didnt look all to pleased, but in the end, it was their decision.....................!

Just read the post about the red white and blue "Woodie" on this site. I stated that, "It takes the same amount of work and the same money to paint a car the right color as it does to paint it the wrong color". Why keep second guessing yourself after the job is done, if you choose to paint it a non stock color? It is just a fact that you will. I have a feeling that you really want to paint it a stock color. I'm sure that if you do the car right you won't regret it. 

On 6/30/2016 at 8:24 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Originality will make people overlook flaws and age if it's consistent and well-kept.

Huh? I thought 400 point judges hatched like spider eggs and were carried by the wind to every old car that existed.

young-detective-using-a-magnifying-glass

The sincerity and deep concern these self appointed judges have amazes me. One was at my house this morning.

Bernie

Here is a picture of how she sits now AJ with the chrome being original and all I did was clean it up and put it on the grill.  The black you see is an epoxy primer the previous owner put on it.

13567274_10209580559411556_7583989470113358841_n.jpg

• Like 1

I can remember being somewhat shocked the first time I saw a '39 Chrysler many years ago. That waterfall grille really is striking and unique! I think that the chrome looks great.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)