Paint color vs resale

Guest 39_Chrysler

Guest 39_Chrysler

I am restoring my first early model car.  1939 Chrysler Royal.  The car is complete for the most part with all original parts however the guy I got it from had already stripped it down and primed it.  all interior and mouldings are removed.  My wife has picked a beautiful Royal blue with white leather interior.  I was wondering if this will affect the resale price in the future if its not an original color?  Also is it best to keep all the chrome pieces original since they all seem to be polishing up pretty well with the exception of some rough spots vs having all the chrome refinished?  I have been told its better to keep as much original if possible even if it has the rough spots vs re-chroming it. I have also seen where people are removing the plastic from the glove box and instrument cluster and just painting it since all that plastic stuff is cracked and brittle.

I think that a majority of the persons on this site would vote to keep it original.  I would.  Much of the discussion on this site is to maintain the vehicles as they left the factory so future generations can see the historical legacy of the automobile business.   This is especially true for a good straight vehicle with little rust and all of the parts there.

That said if you have the remnants of a vehicle where the drive train has gone missing, lots of parts missing and tough to replace then chop, channel, drop a small block into it an make it into your vision of the ultimate ride.

Your car when put together to the original factory colors and interior seat interior done right is a beautiful car and not that common.

Read through this thread about paint color.  This is an extreme case, but......

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

There's always a fine line between original and deteriorated, and an equally fine line at the other end between preservation and restoration. Usually, preservation happens when a car is in good overall condition with all the parts in roughly the same condition (good condition), nothing notably deteriorated. A few nicks in the paint, some thin spots on the upholstery, some tarnished chrome, all OK if nothing is glaringly bad. But once you start restoring stuff, you'll probably find that the original pieces no longer measure up, and a lot of cars which started out with the owner wanting "just a quick repaint" end up as frame-off restorations. If you put new paint on the car, that original chrome is going to look pretty crappy. Fresh upholstery will make deteriorated instruments look neglected and sad. It's hard to restore one part without upsetting the balance of overall quality. To be pleasing to the eye, everything should be about the same condition, too nice or too deteriorated will stand out. As I said, it's a tough balance to find. Original is desirable if it's good original, but simply leaving parts original when you're restoring the rest because someone said original is worth more is a mistake. Original isn't worth more, but a good survivor will probably be on par with a restored car if it's in consistently good overall condition. Originality will make people overlook flaws and age if it's consistent and well-kept. But keeping tired chrome simply because someone said it was worth more is a mistake--it's not worth more.

As far as color, I would urge you to pick a color that was originally available on that exact car. It doesn't have to be that car's original color, but use a 1939 Chrysler color from their sales book or color chart. You might love a color that you saw on something else, but it'll look odd on the car, especially if it's a modern color with a lot of metallic in it. Choosing original factory colors will maximize your potential pool of buyers when/if you go to sell someday. Paint it a custom color that you like and you'll have to find another guy who likes that color--good luck! Same goes for the interior. Choosing factory colors and materials means nobody can argue with your decision. Choose white leather and it'll look like a ski boat and a vast majority of potential buyers will be turned off. And as good as you think the combination looks on paper, it'll look goofy on the car. It always does. Trust the original designers--they were brilliant. Don't try to do it better than they did.

Looks right:

89659e12d1ce2025abe66d4c4d70f05c.jpg

Looks wrong:

54619172-300-0@2x.jpg?rev=1

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I can't tell you the number of old cars I have seen and thought wow that's a great looking car then got to the interior and had the same exact impression as Matt. Definitely use the correct color and materials inside.  Anything else just looks wrong and white in an original old car is just too sharp a contrast.   Do it as original looking as possible and rewoodgrain the inside moldings/ Dash (you can do it yourself pretty reasonable with a little patience and it will really finish the interior off nicely. 

• Like 1

I agree with all the previous posts.  That white interior will absolutely kill you when you go to sell it.   Get the original color palate for that year,  you will find one on eBay and pick one of those.  You should have some decent choices.    If you go with something you love or the latest fad when sale time comes you will regret it.

H3786.jpg

• Like 1

The only white interiors on a prewar car that I have seen, are old time hot rods built in the 50's...

White interior on that Chrysler will be a distraction.  What I mean is that when a car is designed well, and you stand away from the car and "squint", there won't be any particular color, or shapes, or chromed pieces that "steal your eye".  It should all blend.  If that makes any sense at all. LOL

All the advice above is good, but as a new hobbyist you will soon note that the old car hobby has many different possibilities and your question is key to deciding what basic path you will choose for you and your old car.   Take a look at the attached photos and note the gray car.  Notice it looks completely authentic in color, interior, wheels, engine and all other features.  Your car is complete enough that this is possible but also slower and more expensive than most people today want to tackle.  If you like the original look and features then choosing an authentic color and interior is very important for pride and resale.

Note the black and white car.  It has a modern exterior finish and wheels and probably also interior.  It has probably had all the original powertrain and suspension components removed and changed to a modern replacement.  This can be done to a high and expensive standard but most often is done with less attention to detail to produce a nice "driver" with less cost and time required.  If this is your situation then any paint or interior selection is your choice of whatever you think looks good, resale value will be subject to others liking your selection but authenticity will not be an issue.  Good luck, Todd C   

39Chry1.jpg

39Chry2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

Paint it whatever color you and your wife like - life is too short to worry about ephemeral resale values.

Mr. Chrysler, I'll advocate a middle ground.

I normally agree with the others, to paint the car in an authentic

1939 Chrysler color, even if it was a different color than your 

particular example came with.  When I was a newcomer in the hobby,

I thought of painting a car in a non-authentic shade, but I was later

happy that the restorer talked me out of doing so.

However, if you are REALLY sure you want a different color, do it!

That is, do it if you plan on keeping the car a really long time.

You will then have a car that you and your wife really enjoy.

However, I would suggest painting it in a non-metallic color that

looks representative of your car's year--something that plausibly

COULD HAVE BEEN seen on the roads in 1939.  Just be aware

that when you sell the car--20, 40, 60 years from now--it will probably

cause a $10,000 deduction in value at today's prices.  But if you're

keeping it long term, you can overlook that far distant time.

Like the others, I strongly advise AGAINST a white interior.

It is not at all appropriate for 1939.  It will look like a lime-green

leisure suit in the wedding party when all the other guys have tuxedos.

I'd suggest doing an interior that Chrysler offered in 1939.  Reproduction

materials should be available.  They undoubtedly had some version

of tan or gray or very conservatively striped cloth;  they may have offered

specific cloth-and-leather patterns, and maybe all leather.  Don't get a

close approximation;  have it done exactly right.

And since Chrysler's plastic interior trim pieces pieces commonly deteriorated,

I'm quite confident that you can get authentic replacements somewhere.

Have fun!  After all the advice, it is YOUR car!

First congrats on the purchase and hope you enjoy the work as well as the finished product.  Involving your wife is a good idea, you mention this is the first early car, but it seems like your comfortable taking on a project of this size.

My two cents are any color combo from the original palette as suggested is the way to go.  Most interior choices for a closed sedan like yours from the day are simple tans, browns and grey.  Let her see the colors, and understand the reasoning behind, I think they had a couple of nice blues she might like and would be complimentary on that car.  I love cars of that era that are not black, but in good period colors.

Too creative on an otherwise stock vehicle gives you something that is neither fish nor fowl, in other words it is not an authentic restoration but not a hot rod either.  You just narrowed your market significantly on both ends if you expect to sell at some point.  

Are these things an investment in the true sense of the word, well not 95% of them anyway.  But we can make choices to maximize our returns which not every hobby offers.  Keep us posted on your progress!

All well said by Steve above. 

Just to touch on the interior, it was considered a rule of thumb in the 1930s and 1940s that closed cars usually had cloth interiors and usually in a medium gray or brown that would go with most exterior colors.  Open cars were expected to have leather or later vinyl to hold up to the sun and elements.  So regardless of your position on original features a gray or brown cloth in a sedan would look more appropriate to most people than a light vinyl or leather.  Since vinyl was widely available in the 1960s and 1970s many otherwise original looking prewar closed cars were restored with vinyl interiors and they usually looked out of place, Todd C

What would attract you if you were buying it? The grey car or similar, or the gaudy black and white thing, or the maroon and cream Packard? My head is turned by a really nicely done car in an original colour. Is yours? Oh, white leather is not very practical to keep clean either. It will need to be a very good job with top quality hides if it is to age gracefully.

Guest 39_Chrysler

Thanks for all the advise.  I do want to keep it as close to original as possible.  As you can see in the above picture of my car on the trailer it was originally grey.  I prefer the blue tones but as far as value I am still a bit confused about the chrome.  Let's say I do paint it back grey.  The majority of the chrome I have is buffing out really nice although it does have a few rough spots.  Is it best to have the original chrome with a few imperfections or have it all re-chromed even though new chrome appears different than the old chrome due to materials and caroming process. Example: I have buffed the front bumper and it is nice and shiny however it's not mirror chrome.  I think it adds a bit of cool factor if I can keep as much original as possible but how about the value?  Heck even the old am tube radio still works.  I have no intentions of changing any of the car to modernize it due to the fact it is still running on the original drivetrain. The following g picture is where she found the blue and white.  If I do decide to change the original color I was thinking one of the below blues. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Glad to hear, we here usually encourage staying original and as you can see will readily offer advice and (sometimes) helpful tips.  I think your ideas would be appropriate as long as the blue is not too bright, the only problem is shiny new paint tends to make old chrome look older and vice versa.  But after getting a chrome estimate that may seem OK after all.  Other than that just watch that vinyl interior, Todd C

PS--get a factory service manual, available on CD on Amazon for $29.99 among other sources

You may want to do some reading on what colors were available from Chrysler in 1939. You might want to look at this color chart:

3-big.jpg

I found it through another intersting discussion that you might want to read:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/239159-paint-question-for-a-1939-chrysler-royal/

39 minutes ago, 39_Chrysler said:

I think it adds a bit of cool factor if I can keep as much [chrome] original as possible but how about the value? ..

The blue you show on that other car looks beautiful.  It is suitable

for the period.  Maybe it's even a color which Chrysler offered

in 1939.  It would go well with a correct tan interior, or gray if you prefer.

That color looks metallic, and looks to have it to the correct degree.

Metallic colors were beginning in the 1930's;  but be aware that

the metallic particles are much finer, and considerably less pronounced,

than metallic particles that came later.  Whoever paints the car

should be sure to get the right metallic look, too, or the paint will

stand out glaringly as incorrect. 

If most of the rest of the car is restored, there is no advantage

to having original chrome.  Original chrome would be admired

if most of the car were in its unrestored state.  If rechroming

suits your budget, by all means have it done;  or at least do the

most obvious pieces such as the bumpers.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Matt is totally right about that gunmetal gray being stunning. I've loved their version of gray since I bought my '36 Ply in 1966. I later learned, by looking at formulas on chip charts, that it is tweaked with a little green in addition to the blue, black and white that you might expect in a gunmetal formula. I think that it was a very successful color for Chrysler because of it's unique beauty. They offered it with under different names for a number of years. It's understandable that most people might shy away from a gray as a first thought, but this specific color really is an elegant, dignified and classy color. For my part, I will just encourage you to look thoroughly at factory colors first. Chrysler always had a great palate for shoppers to choose from, Including a couple of blues in most years. One blue was a dark one and the other was a mid blue, though not royal blue. I encourage  you to look at all of the Chrysler and Desoto (usually the same palate) images you can find on Google Images, I'll include a link. You might enjoy buying a "chip chart" to study. They are available on Ebay at various prices. Remember, though, not all of the cars on Google Images are painted factory colors and even those that are, are subject to your computer monitors faithfulness. Likewise chip charts are only ink and were never necessarily accurate when they were printed years ago. If you have a question regarding a color possibility and would like to chat about it, we would all love to be of any help that we can be. Finally, the choice is entirely yours. If someone doesn't like it, they won't buy your car when you go to sell it. If, however, it's an outrageous choice and somebody posts a picture of it here, then we'll let you know our dissatisfaction in short order!

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=609&q=1939+chrysler&oq=1939+chrysler&gs_l=img.3..0l10.4019.8881.0.9464.13.9.0.4.4.0.78.625.9.9.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.13.671.Cr8jJUPf8aw

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Going back to the posting title ( Paint color vs resale ) On any car you buy brand new, the color you select today is going to affect the resale value tomorrow. Who knows what color today is going to be the most desirable color for resale five years from now. Some colors are classic sellers as black never goes out of style, unless of coarse, all the cars for sale are black when you go to sell your black car and then anything but black, is the color that increases the resale value. When restoring, your best resale market share is inside the factory color chart. Some factory colors don't resell all that well several years down the road, Grabber Green comes to mind.

You're going to redo an old car and your chrome is really good, but not shinny new perfect, the question comes; do you re-chrome? Some colors and some cars actually show better when the chrome has some patina, than they do with blinding bright shinny new chrome. When a car looks like a near perfect, maliciously maintained survivor, it catches the eye of every car guy and how a car shows affects its value.

When you're talking classic car and resale, inside is where you make or break the bank. The outside is the time capsule that will get your potential buyer to look inside, the inside needs to be the way back machine that will give them the warm fuzzies they were expecting to have. Something as little as carpet on the floor where there should be rubber, a horn that doesn't have the right sound, or the factory radio comes with, but a modern radio shows in the dash, can be a fuzzy killer and warm fuzzies affect resale.

.If you're thinking about making your car really nice and making a profit on the car, odds are against it. So you have a car and you have a choice, make it the kind of car that gives the warm fuzzies to as many people as possible someday in the future, or make it the kind of car that gives you and the MRS. the warm fuzzies today.  

Royal blue is a great color for that car, use the shade Chrysler offered that year. It will look better than any new color you could pick.

As for the chrome definitely clean and shine it up and use it as is. Even if a few pieces aren't perfect it will look good. If you rechrome a few pieces they will stick out like bloodshot eyes on a bishop and make the rest of the chrome look punk. Then you are stuck with redoing all the chrome on the car at a cost of thousands of $$$ bucks. If a few pieces are real bad, try to find good used ones.

56 minutes ago, Digger914 said:

Going back to the posting title ( Paint color vs resale )

.If you're thinking about making your car really nice and making a profit on the car, odds are against it. So you have a car and you have a choice, make it the kind of car that gives the warm fuzzies to as many people as possible someday in the future, or make it the kind of car that gives you and the MRS. the warm fuzzies today.  

In this case, I agree with those two sentences..

Is a later 30s through later 40s 4 door sedan a valuable collector car...no.  Will a nice color that was not in the sales brochure really hurt the value in a big way, on a car that is not in high demand ...no.

It's impossible to turn a profit no matter what, so why not at least choose an exterior color the present owners really like. 

The silly thing I used to hear back when I actually had a TV...the experts said if you are building a new home for your family, or restoring an existing home, you should always do paint and carpets in neutral colors for resale....only tans or off whites,  So, I ask these experts...I spend 300 to 400 K on a home, but have to live with décor that I don't like?  I don't get it, and never will.

• Like 1

I think it's less work to paint most houses in and out than to paint a car so picking the wrong color on or in a house unless it's a siding you can't repaint is not nearly as big a deal.  A lot less block sanding for sure. 

The last blue on the 4 door at the bottom looks correct to me or real close.  The other sedan looks like used car lot blue with no life to it and the one that appears to be possibly on an open car looks a bit too jazzy/ electric for the era.  Just my personal opinion of course. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Digger914 said:

You're going to redo an old car and your chrome is really good, but not shinny new perfect, the question comes; do you re-chrome? Some colors and some cars actually show better when the chrome has some patina, than they do with blinding bright shinny new chrome. When a car looks like a near perfect, maliciously maintained survivor, it catches the eye of every car guy and how a car shows affects its value.

I agree

15 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is it just me, or is this gray car simply STUNNING? Nice!

Um, yes it is.............

11 hours ago, F&J said:

...the experts said if you are building a new home for your family, or restoring an existing home, you should always do paint and carpets in neutral colors for resale....only tans or off whites,  So, I ask these experts...I spend 300 to 400 K on a home, but have to live with décor that I don't like?  I don't get it, and never will.

Excellent point, F & J!

The housing developments in my area are filled with bland,

builder-designed houses whose sides and backs are slathered in featureless tan vinyl.

One prospective lady buyer said, "I'm too young for beige!"

Ugh!  Those houses are like the modern gray 4-door sedans we see all over the place.

There's nothing like individuality and color.

It can and should be tasteful;  but don't "settle" for something you abhor.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
16 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Is it just me, or is this gray car simply STUNNING? Nice!

Matt,  you hit the nail squarely on the head.....The designers were brilliant!

My '64 Riviera was beige when I bought it in 1978. I painted it a factory maroon in 1980. Changing the color hasn't been a value issue to this point. And I don't expect it to be.

Of course I did paint it "resale red"

Bernie

Excellent point, F & J!

The housing developments in my area are filled with bland,

builder-designed houses whose sides and backs are slathered in featureless tan vinyl.

One prospective lady buyer said, "I'm too young for beige!"

Ugh!  Those houses are like the modern gray 4-door sedans we see all over the place.

There's nothing like individuality and color.

It can and should be tasteful;  but don't "settle" for something you abhor.

Edited Friday at 9:05 AM by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• when I was younger, I painted houses for a living. A couple called me up and couldnt decide between a medium blue for their trim and a bright salmon. I encouraged them to go for the salmon.

needless to say, that was the last time I gave my opinion when asked. The house ended up looking like it was on fire!

The owners didnt look all to pleased, but in the end, it was their decision.....................!

Just read the post about the red white and blue "Woodie" on this site. I stated that, "It takes the same amount of work and the same money to paint a car the right color as it does to paint it the wrong color". Why keep second guessing yourself after the job is done, if you choose to paint it a non stock color? It is just a fact that you will. I have a feeling that you really want to paint it a stock color. I'm sure that if you do the car right you won't regret it. 

On 6/30/2016 at 8:24 AM, Matt Harwood said:

Originality will make people overlook flaws and age if it's consistent and well-kept.

Huh? I thought 400 point judges hatched like spider eggs and were carried by the wind to every old car that existed.

young-detective-using-a-magnifying-glass

The sincerity and deep concern these self appointed judges have amazes me. One was at my house this morning.

Bernie

Guest 39_Chrysler

Here is a picture of how she sits now AJ with the chrome being original and all I did was clean it up and put it on the grill.  The black you see is an epoxy primer the previous owner put on it.

13567274_10209580559411556_7583989470113358841_n.jpg