new 1956 Super owner

ddiaz396

Half of the job is done......pulled rear end and removed ball torque seal...and I think I found were the seal was damaged..now I will replace the seal and put everything back together .also I just notice that the torque ball has a direction ( I didn't noticed it before....maybe I placed the torque ball in the wrong position, may be that was the leak?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Today I decided to rebuild the Dynaflow accumulators.... I search in the web for information, couldn't find anything of" how to"...so I took my spare transmission and I did it myself. Took lots of pictures in case somebody else need this information. Also I rebuilt the high accumulator in the " original" transmission and I find out why the transmission didn't work..... the piston in the valve was frozen with rust....the accumulator wasn't working so the transmission was not getting in gear...I think that somebody use the wrong stop nut, when I tight the nut ,it will depress the valve and the valve will not come back up. Please somebody look at the pictures and tell me if something is wrong. Should be a hole in the stop nut, allowing the axel of the valve to go up? Because when I tigh the stop valve the valve get depressed inside the body of the accumulator so it does not pump. The other one( first pictures )is working fine. Both accumulators are a little be different. Thanks Daniel

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Car is running great!! No leaks!! Fuel pump working fine.....very happy!!. Monday I started to work fixing some rust spot. Using my Hobart 140 MIG welder I managed to patched some holes...looking good...I hope I can finished before summer time. Start to get really hot in Fl! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a rear glass out of a 55 roadmaster 4dr sedan.  

A:  I know the roady and super share windshields (front and rear)

B: I don't know if the 55 and 56 are the same, but that shape looks about right

C:  Getting the windshield to FL might be expensive

29 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I have a rear glass out of a 55 roadmaster 4dr sedan.  

A:  I know the roady and super share windshields (front and rear)

B: I don't know if the 55 and 56 are the same, but that shape looks about right

C:  Getting the windshield to FL might be expensive

My interchange says 55, 56 are the same....also 55, 56 Cadillac series 60, 62 four door sedans.

• Thanks 1

my car is series 50....i think...maybe it's better for me to make a paper template....I contacted two or three glass store and its a lot of wrong information. They talked about Special, Century etc but nothing about Super. I found one in the computer that give a part number for a Buick Super series 50, # 2935

2935 1956 Buick SEDAN - 4 Door - Series Super 50 & Roadmaster 70 Models 52, 72 & 72R Style No. 56-4519, 56-4719
2951 1956 Buick HARDTOP - 2 Door - Riviera Series Super 50 & Roadmaster 70 Models 56R & 76R - Style No. 54-4537 & 54-4737X.
2960 1956 Buick HARDTOP - 2 Door - Riviera Series - Special 40 & Century 60 - Models 46R & 66R - Style No. 56-4437 & 56-4637.
2963 1956 Buick HARDTOP - 4 Door - Riviera Series - Super 50 & Roadmaster 70 - Style No. 56-4539 & 56-4739X.
2957 1956 Buick CONVERTIBLE & SKYLARK - 2 Door - Series Special 40 & Century 60 - Models 46C, 66C & 100 - Style No. 56-4467TX & 56-4667X.
2948 1956 Buick CONVERTIBLE - 2 Door - Series Super 50 & Roadmaster 70 Models 56C & 76C Style No. 56-4567X & 56-4767X.
2962 1956 Buick HARDTOP - 4 Door - Riviera Series - Special 43 & Century 63 - Style No. 56-4439 & 56-4639.
2363 1956 Buick ESTATE WAGON - 4 Door - Series Special 40 & Century 60 Models 49 & 69 Style Number 56-4481 & 56-4681
2954 1956 Buick SEDAN - 2 Door - Series Special 40 - Models 48 & 48D - Style No. 56-4411.

wndsofchng06, Do you think your rear glass will fit my car?it's similar at the glass in your profile car?your profile car glass looks different that my car...Maybe I can make a paper template and send it to you to compare glass size, to be sure....will you ship it to me in Fl? How much are you asking for?thanks for your help! Daniel

Couldn't wait to look this up and here's what I found:

The same window is used for the model 52 and model 72 for both 1955 and 1956

Part # 4654672 is the clear window.  4654673 is the E Z Eye tinted window.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ddiaz396 said:

wndsofchng06, Do you think your rear glass will fit my car?it's similar at the glass in your profile car?your profile car glass looks different that my car...Maybe I can make a paper template and send it to you to compare glass size, to be sure....will you ship it to me in Fl? How much are you asking for?thanks for your help! Daniel

My profile car is a century (small body).  This glass is from a Roadmaster (big body) just like the Super.  

On 10/26/2017 at 11:05 AM, old-tank said:

My interchange says 55, 56 are the same....also 55, 56 Cadillac series 60, 62 four door sedans.

John, I think Willie has already looked this up.

28 minutes ago, ddiaz396 said:

PM sent

Once again....thanks John!!! After a very "brutal" Fl summer(hurricanes, heat, rain, humidity, mosquitos, etc!!!) I'm ready to finish the car. I stated to work last week, hoping to restore it before my birthday (February)...will see!. Thanks again, Daniel

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

John, I think Willie has already looked this up.

Yes, he gratefully did.  I just wanted to provide D Diaz with a little more evidence since he seemed to still be unconvinced.    

• Like 1

On 10/26/2017 at 11:05 AM, old-tank said:

Thanks old-tank for found the information....very helpful!!(Yesterday I purchased a 1954-1966 Interchange Hollander manual myself!! lots of information )Daniel

• Like 2

hi everybody, do you think that the instalation of a replacement rear glass in my Buick is a DIY or should I pay a professional glass installer?Any tricks? easy or difficult task?how can i softner the rubber weather seal or stripper? something like that will work?. Thanks, Daniel

rubber.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

does anybody know whats the best way to replace the upholstery for my 1956 Buick Super(complete...headliner, seats, dash, doors panels,etc)? upholstery kit?Probably I will be able to do the flat parts( doors panels,etc)....have anyone replaced,  by a professional ,a total interior from a 1956 Buick or similar size car? any idea a job like that will cost? $ 3000? $ 5000?....more? thanks....

• 1 month later...

Well finally the weatherstrip come down......the bad news I found rust in both corners.....I will need to fabicate some metal patches and Mig weld. I cleaned and rust treated the area. The clips that hold the glass , some of them were corrode and need to be replace....any idea were can I find this clips?(two kinds of clips) Thanks Daniel

back glass.jpg

backglass clips.jpg

backglass.jpg

backglass1.jpg

backglass2.jpg

backglass clips1.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like I was incorrect about the trim clips being bolted on through the channel.  I apologize.  I should not have said anything without direct experience, even if that's the way they are attached on my 56 R.

• Like 1

I believe that the headliners are available from suppliers like CARS, in a presewn form, which you install and trim down. I have never done the one on my '56, it is still the factory, but I did get a kit from them to do my '41 Roadmaster, and it worked out fine. Lots of rather tricky work though. It wasn't too costly, and that was an issue at the time, see further down.

I don't know if Hampton Coach/Lebaron Bonney supplies kits for that car, it would be worth a look. These are supposed to work well, with you either doing all the install work, or supplying them to a shop for install. These are the covers, sewn to spec.

Pricing for upholstery work can be quite variable, and like lots of things the highest price isn't always the best, though of course sometimes it is. I had the seats recovered on my wife's '68 Wildcat couple of years ago, and it was nearly $2,000, and that was this time of year when they were slow. That price was material and labour, plus replacing the foam, and any other work the seat frames needed. The sewing on that car is more complex than on a '56, so more labour would be required to do that seat. Also, that price is in Canadian dollars, which is always higher, no matter what.

As a comparison, last year I took another car to the same shop for a smallish, job on the front seat, and then I got an estimate from different shop that was highly recommended, and their quote was about half. So, I went with them, and the work was just great, better than the first place did on the Wildcat's seat. Perfect stitching, no pulling or stretched seams, exactly like the factory.

That's always the quandray when choosing a shop to get work done. If you can find a place that has recent good reviews that will help.

If you're really ambitious, you could buy yourself a used heavy duty sewing machine, and learn to do it yourself. Getting the right fabric is sometimes a challenge if you want the correct stuff, but there are a couple of places if you search the net which carry vintage car upholstery material. I sewed the seat covers on my '41 Roadmaster, as I had a serious budget crunch at the time, and wanted to get it done sooner rather than later! The material I got through another means though.

With practice and patience excellent work can be done. If you want to see pictures of my car, there is a thread here, do a search for "McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster Coupe", and it should show up.

Keith

15 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I believe that the headliners are available from suppliers like CARS, in a presewn form, which you install and trim down. I have never done the one on my '56, it is still the factory, but I did get a kit from them to do my '41 Roadmaster, and it worked out fine. Lots of rather tricky work though. It wasn't too costly, and that was an issue at the time, see further down.

I don't know if Hampton Coach/Lebaron Bonney supplies kits for that car, it would be worth a look. These are supposed to work well, with you either doing all the install work, or supplying them to a shop for install. These are the covers, sewn to spec.

Pricing for upholstery work can be quite variable, and like lots of things the highest price isn't always the best, though of course sometimes it is. I had the seats recovered on my wife's '68 Wildcat couple of years ago, and it was nearly $2,000, and that was this time of year when they were slow. That price was material and labour, plus replacing the foam, and any other work the seat frames needed. The sewing on that car is more complex than on a '56, so more labour would be required to do that seat. Also, that price is in Canadian dollars, which is always higher, no matter what.

As a comparison, last year I took another car to the same shop for a smallish, job on the front seat, and then I got an estimate from different shop that was highly recommended, and their quote was about half. So, I went with them, and the work was just great, better than the first place did on the Wildcat's seat. Perfect stitching, no pulling or stretched seams, exactly like the factory.

That's always the quandray when choosing a shop to get work done. If you can find a place that has recent good reviews that will help.

If you're really ambitious, you could buy yourself a used heavy duty sewing machine, and learn to do it yourself. Getting the right fabric is sometimes a challenge if you want the correct stuff, but there are a couple of places if you search the net which carry vintage car upholstery material. I sewed the seat covers on my '41 Roadmaster, as I had a serious budget crunch at the time, and wanted to get it done sooner rather than later! The material I got through another means though.

With practice and patience excellent work can be done. If you want to see pictures of my car, there is a thread here, do a search for "McLaughlin Buick Roadmaster Coupe", and it should show up.

Keith

Thanks for the information Keith......beautiful car!! I sure hope mine will look like that.....one day. Daniel

• Like 1

Finally I cleaned the weatherstrip from the back glass. Now I need the clips that hold the bottom molding. The car used two different kind of clips.....found one on Ebay but I can't find th e second kind(the one that hold the bottom molding to the weatherstrip {attached picture) Anybody ? Thanks

glassback.jpg

backglass clips1.jpg

clip molding.jpg

clip molding1.jpg

clip.jpg

clip1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm back!! After some health issues (prostate) I started to work in my 1956 Buick Super again. MRI result come clear, no cancer just BPH (going for Green Light laser treatment next June), Last month did all the body work (almost!) did the two front doors, hood,trunk and finished rear driver fender and two front fenders, Also got one of the spare fender from my donor car to practiced different color combination( decided will be smoky gray top and white bottom) Will take some picture tomorrow and post it. What tires size will work better for the car? 215/75/15 or 225/70/15? Thanks, Daniel

color.thumb.jpg.bf9e49fec7dd15cd1ec688820d8469d3.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ddiaz396 said:

I'm back!! After some health issues (prostate) I started to work in my 1956 Buick Super again. MRI result come clear, no cancer just BPH (going for Green Light laser treatment next June), Last month did all the body work (almost!) did the two front doors, hood,trunk and finished rear driver fender and two front fenders, Also got one of the spare fender from my donor car to practiced different color combination( decided will be smoky gray top and white bottom) Will take some picture tomorrow and post it. What tires size will work better for the car? 215/75/15 or 225/70/15? Thanks, Daniel

color.thumb.jpg.bf9e49fec7dd15cd1ec688820d8469d3.jpg

Check that fender on your car . That is a Special fender ( 3 hole ) . Super had the same wheelbase

as a Roadmaster . Special ( 3holes ) and Century ( 4 holes ) had the shorter wheelbase .

Bill