I'm baaaack! 88 red AC issues

fordrodsteven

Hi. I now have another problem. First off -  Thank you to everybody for your help and support when I was here a couple weeks ago. The reason My compressor clutch would not operate was due to a bad power steering pressure switch. So..... Here we go! After it was functioning I had a leak at the receiver dryer. I took it back to the repair shop to fix the leak under warranty. They worked the leak then kept it overnight to make sure it held pressure. It did not. After much searching the technician told me it's up under the dash. (the evaporator). So now I will be changing out the evaporator. I have a couple questions. 1) Should I change heater core at same time while I'm in there? One thought is yes because after all I'm going to be there! Another thought is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Opinions? 2) I saw a repair tutorial at the ROJ website for the heater core. It says there is a cover you take off and the heater core is right there. Is there a similar cover for the AC evaporator core or is there more disassembly required? I appreciate any help and suggestions. (note; this issue is also listed at the ROJ site)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the vote, Guest. Well it turns out that the evaporator is accessed from the engine side of the firewall. I didn't have to go inside the car at all. So.... I still have the heater core that was in there. Ron asked me to put together a tutorial that he has now added to the tutorials at the ROJ. I already had the car apart when he asked me. I took pics as I went back together and edited the tutorial to show the dis-assembly process. The job would be much easier if the engine was not installed when changing the evaporator but all-in-all it wasn't too bad. It took me a total of around 8 hours actual labor. I'm happy!!! I now have a nicely functioning AC just in time for the great heatwave of 2016.

Thank you for the comments regarding the tutorial and how I care for my vehicles. I don't worry so much about the heater because I park the Reatta and the MOPAR for the winter. I put battery tenders on them and I start them on the first of each month and move them forward and backward in the garage. My intent is move some fluid through the tranny and the wheel bearings. Also to help reduce flat spots on the tires.