1969 Chevy Chevelle birthday present.

Guest VintageVixen

Guest VintageVixen

Let me start by saying that I know nothing when it comes to cars, classic or otherwise. I am reaching out to see if anyone could give me some assistance in finding a reliable person or company to restore a 1969 Chevy Chevelle.

My boyfriend and his siblings would like to have it fixed up for their father's 75th birthday, the car was his and it is currently being stored in the Champlain area of New York state. Of course, the three of them have been talking about this idea for years and no one has tried to do any research. They were talking about how to ship it to the DC region (where he and I live) but it seems more logical to find someone in upstate NY/VT to do the work.

We really have no idea where to begin and wouldn't even know the right questions to ask potential businesses. What would be the best way to go about a project like this? 

Thank you so much!

-VV <3

There is a huge difference between fixing up and restoring a car.  Restore usually means it will be stripped down to a bare frame, and every single thing gets rebuilt, refinished, etc

Fixing up would be on a fairly good condition car that is not rusted out, and is not ruined mechanically.

Restoration is insanely expensive, and could take a very long time, depending on the shop chosen, and if they can/can't stay on it each day.

Fixing up can also be somewhat expensive, depending on how many things need fixing.  My point is that many first timers, have no idea how fast the bills run up, nor how much work is honestly needed on a 45-50 year old car.  So many people end up with an unfinished car, because the bills just got to be too much.

could not agree more with F&J.   sounds like the car has been sitting for years.   you first have to find out why is has been sitting,  was something wrong with it,  did the motor   or  trans go bad  or  something else??   getting it mechanically sound.....   brakes   tires    rebuilding the fuel system    fixing the problem from years ago   evaluating the front and  rear ends  etc  etc    could be 10-15 thousand.   add in any engine work that might be needed   and  you are up another  8-12 thousand depending on the engine  and  the amount of work that is needed.   and you have not even touched the  body   and  interior 

• 7 months later...
Guest MikeBazan

FIRST U NEED TO KNOW WHAT U HAVE ?    TOP DOG IS  SS 396 COVERTABLE, 4 SPEED, 375 HP.     BOTTOM OF BARREL 4 DOOR 6 CYL.   CAR TODAY IN GREAT SHAPE   38,000 TO 12,000.  IF U KNOW WHAT IT WORTH FINISHED    U KNOW WHAT U CAN INVEST