38 Pontiac Throwout Bearing

40mopar

Is there something special about the clutch release (throwout) bearing in a '38 Pontiac?  I've searched everywhere I can think of and have been unable to locate one.  I have found two outfits who say they will rebuild my old one.  That seems unusual to me...rebuilding a bearing, but I am pretty new at all this old car stuff.

Anyone ever rebuild one or have one rebuilt?

Edited by 40mopar (see edit history)

6 hours ago, 40mopar said:

Is there something special about the clutch release (throwout) bearing in a '38 Pontiac?  I've searched everywhere I can think of and have been unable to locate one.  I have found two outfits who say they will rebuild my old one.  That seems unusual to me...rebuilding a bearing, but I am pretty new at all this old car stuff.

Seems odd to me too, but if that becomes your only choice I would use CPR if possible so you probably get a little better service, Todd C

PS--just FYI the parts manual says that item was used on all Pontiacs 1933-42 except taxis, part # 503466

2 hours ago, poci1957 said:

Seems odd to me too, but if that becomes your only choice I would use CPR if possible so you probably get a little better service, Todd C

PS--just FYI the parts manual says that item was used on all Pontiacs 1933-42 except taxis, part # 503466

poci1957,  What parts manual are you using?  Sounds like I need one.

Thanks

Absolutely, take a look at www.pontiacsafari.com for a site full of original manuals generously posted online for free(!) by a friend of mine.  It is centered on the 1950s but in the "Parts Catalog" section you will find the 1956 Master Parts Catalog goes back to the 1930s on most items. 

To use go into the 1956 manual and click on a diagram of the parts system you are looking for, in this case the clutch & flywheel.  You will find an illustration showing a "typical" diagram and you can find the part (clutch release bearing) and note the Group # 0.799.  Then go back and find the "Parts Listing Group 0.xxx" and go to section 0.799 and you can look up your year and part #.  Very useful, enjoy,

Todd Crews

POCI 1957 Technical Advisor  

Guest PetePontiac

Check with NORTHWESTERN AUTO SUPPLY IN Grand Rapids, Mi.

phone 1-800-704-1078

OR 

JOE CURTIS   ASHEVILLE  NC

PHONE 828-298-8304