guys, I think I have a problem...

KDirk

About two weeks ago Jim Finn put me onto a parts car being sold by a gentleman in Springfield, Illinois (about two hours from me one way) that he couldn't snag due to logistics. I really wasn't in the market for another parts car but was hard to pass at the price offered as it was an 88 white over burgundy (just as my other two 88's). It was rough around the edges, and had 170,xx x on it but was all there and ran pretty well.

So, I made the arrangements to go get it. Did that yesterday and drove it back after putting on a good used accumulator and a Delco ignition plus topping off fluids. Made the run back to St. Louis with no real problems except no A/C and a recurring E026 code that had the CRT squaking a lot. Got 22.7 Mpg on the way back depsite that, go figure. At any rate, I have given it a thorough exterior cleaning today and it is maybe C- condition paint wise, a few minor dings, typical paint loss on flexible plastics in front and rear bumper trims, and rust arou d the rear wheel wells down low in the rocker panel.

The good: CRT is good, and has a nice touch screen, the major modules all work, all glass but windshield is good, interior is complete but a bit rough in spots.

The bad: mice have made quite the mess (no major wiring damage but lots of chewed up paper, foam amd rock wool plus the smell of mouse urine. I am cleaning the interior now, everything but the dash and column is out presently. the IPC worked all the way home, but died last night when starting after doing some prelimnary cleanup and interior disassembly. The radio is out [an aftermarket Pioneer head unit was tacked on just under and to the right of the steering column, factory RIM was cut out of circuit], the windshield is shot (cracked all the way across about 2/3 up from bottom edge, like a bifocal lens), has an ABS light (probably a wheel sensor) but brakes work fine.

There is some moderate rust in the rear wheel wells but  not too along yet. The muffler is about to rot through but the big show stopper is that it has rot in the "rails" on the underside of the body to which the rear suspension cradle attaches. So, it is not long for this world.

Despite all that, I may give it a temporary stay of execution, use it as a winter car and part it in the spring. It does run well albeit a bit noisy (will find and correct the rattle if nothing major) and has that EO26 which should be easy enough to fix. Transmission is nice and smooth despite the mileage and having been nearly three quarts low (I filled it before driving it home) so I am having a hard time putting a bullet it in just yet.

And the kicker, is it has aftermarket keyless entry with remote start. Found that by accident playing with the supplied fob. Might have to transfer that to one of my other 88's. I guess my problem is that these deals keep falling in my lap and I have a hard time turning them down. I really need to stop this, this will be the third in six months I bought to part out. I am becoming the Grim Reaper of Reattadom, and that isn't a title I aspire to hold. This car is number 2899, built between my other two 88's.

KDirk

Kevin,

I currently own three Reattas. I had a fourth but, it sadly left this world but not before donating parts so others might live. Anyway...

I would surly have more Reattas lounging about but due to my lack of disposable income, there are but the three. (plus my GMC pickup)

My wife (another factor) keeps suggesting I get something a little more "of this decade" for her to drive. I told her that she could buy anything she wanted to upon my demise as she would be flush with cash and would need something to help keep from feeling the great loss she'd just experienced.

On another note...

We are soon to be official Home-Owners. Mortgage paid off three years early. (Yeah!!!)

This may allow additions to the herd. Or it may lead to "disagreements" on whether we should take on an auto loan for a car not of the vintage I am accustomed to. We'll shall see, what we shall see.

John F.

Funny, I never expected to be so flush with cars or parts, but I'm the type to go all in on something that interests me. Obsessive? Yes, it is. But, my dedication to doing what I like has served me well in multiple endeavors, so I keep doing what works. When I do finally part this one, there will be stuff available for sale, so stay tuned. 

Meanwhile, I need to get busy. And if anybody hears about a parts car, don't call us, we'll call you.

^Fair enough. I have no intention of competing with him, that's for certain.
 I have made progress on cleaning it up, hope to start putting the interior back this evening. Will try to get some pictures up.