Relocating Oil Filter

27donb

Can I relocate the dual aftermarket oil filter setup I have on my 24-45, to a location out of site, on the frame?

I notice original oil filters in 1926 and 1927 are high on the firewall, leading to somewhat of a gravity assisted feed of oil from the filter to the head and valve train area.

If I relocate my aftermarket oil filter to a spot low on the frame, will the pump be able to push the oil through the filters and back "up" to the top of the engine?

Assuming I have a good pump with 30 psi oil pressure.

oil filters.jpg

090307 buick 54cc hemmings pictures) (1).JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

The short answer is yes you can relocate the filter, OR you could build a sheet metal box to cover them in the current location and paint it black.

Mike in Colorado

True I could, but my plan is to find and re-install the Stewart vacuum fuel tank in that original location on the firewall.

I wonder if Buick mounted those original oil filters high on the firewall to help with supplying the upper end oil by partial gravity feed, or just for convenience of changing out the filter...?

I would at least move it to the "cool" side of the engine away from the exhaust manifold.  I suspect you do not drive the vehicle to work every day so a single filter would be more than adequate for the car, take up less space and be less noticeable.    You could make a metal cover and paint it black to further hide it.

If you wanted to get real serious, an auxiliary electric or belt driven oil pump would eliminate any concern about delivering the oil.

• Like 1

My '26-26 has the original rectangular oil filter for which replacements are non existent. I have the filter check valve set for continuous bypass and just change the oil every 500 miles. I drive it less than 500 mi. per year so that works out to an oil change per year. Just did my routine oil change and it was a snap without having to deal with a filter. I did install a magnetic drain plug however.  

IMG_1962.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

I don't mean to muck up this thread, but looking at the 2 motor pictures in the first post and the cooling fans in each picture, it appears to me that these 2 engines turn CLOCKWISE as seen from the driver's position.

I just went out and hit the starter on my '40 and it turned COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

SO, THE QUESTION IS , When did Buick reverse the turning direction of their motors ? Or is this how the Buick 6's were made ?

Just Asking,

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2016 at 2:21 PM, AzBob said:

My '26-26 has the original rectangular oil filter for which replacements are non existent. I have the filter check valve set for continuous bypass and just change the oil every 500 miles. I drive it less than 500 mi. per year so that works out to an oil change per year. Just did my routine oil change and it was a snap without having to deal with a filter. I did install a magnetic drain plug however.  

IMG_1962.jpg

I was considering a magnetic drain plug too, good idea!

I like the paint and details on your engine.

8 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Hey Guys,

I don't mean to muck up this thread, but looking at the 2 motor pictures in the first post and the cooling fans in each picture, it appears to me that these 2 engines turn CLOCKWISE as seen from the driver's position.

I just went out and hit the starter on my '40 and it turned COUNTER CLOCKWISE.

SO, THE QUESTION IS , When did Buick reverse the turning direction of their motors ? Or is this how the Buick 6's were made ?

Just Asking,

Mike in Colorado

The fan pulley is connected to the end of the camshaft gear which is why the fan rotates opposite the crankshaft.  Don't know what year the fan pulley was moved to the crankshaft.

• Like 2

Thanks for clearing that up Bob.

DonB did not mention any cooling problems in his post.

But IF HE HAD, I was ready to "pounce" with a solution (turn the fan around).

Dang it, just like the government, a solution looking for a problem.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

On June 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM, 27donb said:

Can I relocate the dual aftermarket oil filter setup I have on my 24-45, to a location out of site, on the frame?

I notice original oil filters in 1926 and 1927 are high on the firewall, leading to somewhat of a gravity assisted feed of oil from the filter to the head and valve train area.

If I relocate my aftermarket oil filter to a spot low on the frame, will the pump be able to push the oil through the filters and back "up" to the top of the engine?

Assuming I have a good pump with 30 psi oil pressure.

With 30 psi, I see no issues with the pump pushing oil back up to the top of the engine. Not enough height involved to matter. I will occasionally feel the the oil lines after the engine has warmed up to verify I have good oil flow.  The filter outlet line should be nearly the same temperature as the inlet line.

On June 28, 2016 at 1:28 PM, 27donb said:

I wonder if Buick mounted those original oil filters high on the firewall to help with supplying the upper end oil by partial gravity feed, or just for convenience of changing out the filter...?

That would be my speculation as well. A convenient location not used by any other accessories.

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AzBob said:

With 30 psi, I see no issues with the pump pushing oil back up to the top of the engine. Not enough height involved to matter. I will occasionally feel the the oil lines after the engine has warmed up to verify I have good oil flow.  The filter outlet line should be nearly the same temperature as the inlet line.

That would be my speculation as well. A convenient location not used by any other accessories.

Thank you Bob!

I have to crawl under my modern vehicles to change the oil filter, why not the Buick?  And that way I can bring the firewall a little closer to the way it was originally too.

I will have to check my oil lines after a ride for their temperature, I never thought to do that.

Never tried to measure it more accurately but our 26 Standard 207 CID is only about 16-18psi with new oil according to the factory installed gauge in the cab. Also have the factory filter the same as Bob but mine is not in bypass. Should I be concerned by the lower oil pressure?

Edited by 26-25Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 26-25Buick said:

Never tried to measure it more accurately but our 26 Standard 207 CID is only about 16-18psi with new oil according to the factory installed gauge in the cab. Also have the factory filter the same as Bob but mine is not in bypass. Should I be concerned by the lower oil pressure?

I am not in any way an engine builder.  So it's difficult to give advice on that, I'm sure others would be able to share their experience.

I can say that my 27-25 has a 207 engine with quite a few miles on it, and it runs like a watch with 35 psi.  It is however a very noisy loose engine, which I would think would make it leaky and have less oil pressure.  The previous owner told me he and a friend tried to re-shim the bearings to take up some wear and quiet it down, and the engine would not turn.  So they reinstalled the original shims, and just drove it.

That's my plan too is just to drive it and be good to it, keep the rpms and vehicle speed low.

My measurements are only with the factory installed gauges as well.

Sometimes I wish all I had was an idiot light that would go out when there was a pre-determined amount of oil pressure, that way I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Don,

Your post is very helpful.  My 25-25 was the last year for no oil filter, and I would like to install an oil filter, low, to the frame.  I need to research if this is even possible to do on my 1 year only engine.  I don't want to rob the oil going to the cylinder head.  I think I will also install a pressure switch so that I can have a light come on under the dash if I were ever to have low oil pressure.  For you, I would get rid of the dual filter unit and replace it with a single screw in filter.  I found this one which allows left or right hand mounting, and there is a port that you can use for the pressure switch.     HughSummit Oil Filter adapter 25709.JPG 

• Like 1

Thanks Hugh!

Yes, I knew Summit or Jegs would have it, I was looking at the right handed in / out version.

I emailed Jegs and they replied that the Fram PH8A is the filter that works with it, which is what my current double filter has too.