NC-car-guy

1955 Buick Special 4 door hardtop

One of the straightest cars I've bought with the most complete running gear under the hood.

IMG_20160625_143435.jpg

IMG_20160625_143417.jpg

IMG_20160625_143358.jpg

• Like 2

Needs a patch in the floors, and one in the rocker. I think I have most of what's needed to reassemble this, but will be posting wanted ads when I don't.  This is the kind of car I've wanted.  I've been through so many (14+) 55 Buicks now, but a 4 door small body is the ticket for me.  This will get century trim, and an extra fender hole, as the locals here are hard on you if you only have a "tree hole" Buick. (yes it sounds like tree when they say it). The other plan is to put a 322 in it with the 56 dynaflow and rear axle I have.  For now I may just see if I can get the little 264 going, as it looks clean.

And make the left headlight ROUND again, hehe 

How far will YOU take this FULL of PATINA PIECE, and I don't mean mileage wise?

Ain't no weekend project, FIR SUR, LOVE giving up the TREE HOLE look.

YOU and FITTY FO can fight over what year is best.

Dale in Indy 

10 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

And make the left headlight ROUND again, hehe 

How far will YOU take this FULL of PATINA PIECE, and I don't mean mileage wise?

Ain't no weekend project, FIR SUR, LOVE giving up the TREE HOLE look.

YOU and FITTY FO can fight over what year is best.

Dale in Indy 

I think fitty fo and I already do in our silent competition to buy up more cars.  This will get out back together safe and comfortable, but not high dollar. Now that I have a shop, I'll do the work myself. I just want a fun cruiser, no shows needed.

• Like 1

Well, I will be a watchin, we had a 55 Century  2 door HT, race it many times on Route 66, TOP END. 

Even pushed a pickup truck past a car as a bet.  The truck owner was a ARCA driver, he bet one of his employees that his parts truck could out run his car.  As a surprise, the employee didn't know I would be there to Push, If needed.  We passed him, and he was mad.  Din were my CRAZY days.  Truck had wood rear bumper.

Dale in Indy 

• Like 1

Did some clean up today.  Engine turns with a breaker bar, and turns over with the starter, but no spark.  Paint code is ABB, but will be blue with a white roof when I'm done. She needs floors and rockers.....

Took all the external parts to storage:

Screenshot_20160626-194226.png

IMG_20160626_194431.jpg

Then pressure washed the remainder:

IMG_20160626_194452.jpg

IMG_20160626_194511.jpg

IMG_20160626_194530.jpg

IMG_20160626_194539.jpg

IMG_20160626_194554.jpg

IMG_20160626_194606.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

So that's what the engine and trunk look like on that car even has the washer jug. Good to know it was all complete under the hood.

While some may see this car as a mess,  It is one of the straightest cars I've bought.  I'd much rather start with rusted bare metal, completely disassembled.  No hidden crap like bondo, and I don't have to deal with the frustration of taking out every freaking rusted bolt.   Once I brace the car and do the floors, I will move it to the frame I already have cleaned and painted.  I might put some more effort into getting the 264 running for now until I can afford to get a nice 322.  

Must have been sitting in the weeds to get the floor so rusted?

That's a lot of work, but YOU are ENTHUSED, and that's KEY.

Dale in Indy

Yea,  and with as clean and straight as everything else is,(clearly the whole thing was sanded or blasted to bare metal). I think it was somone's resto project that ran out of time or money.  :-(

2 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Yea,  and with as clean and straight as everything else is,(clearly the whole thing was sanded or blasted to bare metal). I think it was somone's resto project that ran out of time or money.  :-(

Maybe they gave up trying to get the rear door windows back in.  Verify that you can get them back in and working and that all parts are there.  I spent hours trying to figure it out even with the opposite mechanism still in place and another car still assembled AND a parts car.  On top of that there were 2 version of the mechanism in 55 (my parts car was different...this was before I had a body manual).  PM me if you need a body manual for that model.

Willie

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Maybe they gave up trying to get the rear door windows back in.  Verify that you can get them back in and working and that all parts are there.  I spent hours trying to figure it out even with the opposite mechanism still in place and another car still assembled AND a parts car.  On top of that there were 2 version of the mechanism in 55 (my parts car was different...this was before I had a body manual).  PM me if you need a body manual for that model.

Willie

Thanks Willie!  There's something not everyone would know (or expect).  I won't be using the doors.   I have a 4 dr hardtop with pristine doors (rest of the body is hacked) that I bought from Bob that has the windows and mechanism all still installed and working!  Once I get the floors and rockers done,  I will just bolt the other 4 doors on.  I may still ask about that body manual.

• Like 5

I have a 55 Special 4 dr ht with some trim pieces left on it if you have a need. 

• Like 3

It's a 4DHT -- so I like it!  ;)

• Like 1

Got her running today. Interesting assortment of spark plugs in this car...Screenshot_20160702-165306.png

Time for a beer!... Carb needs rebuilt, might swap a 4bbl in temporarily until the 322 is built. This link should open a video of it starting.

temp_6.3gp

Cleaned up out back some too....  now I need to devote time to the building.....

IMG_20160702_165334.jpg

IMG_20160702_165322.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, after a brief delay in Buicks due to rain and negotiations with the owner of the neighboring property I am getting back at it.  Re: neighboring property, I have three acres, this 5 borders me. The owners want to sell and knew I didn't want the subdivsion next to it expanding on top of me.  Not ideal timing, but I pounced. 

That being said, I want to get the floors and rockers for the hardtop.  Which vendor provides the best panel with the least hassle and modification involved?  Or are they all the same maker just sold by different retailers?

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1

I have a custom rocker I made in metal shop. It's molded off my 56 4dr hardtop fits nice it's about 3ft long or so maybe 2 I used plastic to build my rockers up. So I don't need it if you're interested I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

• Like 1

Plastic rockers? How'd you do that? Inner or outer?   Yea shoot me a photo of the one you're wanting to sell.

Body filler, I put about 6 inches of bondo in my drivers side rocker.  My car is too far gone to get serious about fixing it correctly. I'll send you some pics tomorrow 

As my building nears completion i was looking at what i need to get done. Thought this made for an interesting photo of the Buick pile. Almost looks like a sad death trail from the gate to the back....20160823_174323.jpg

• Like 4

I pulled my 1956 dynaflow this weekend.  I will be putting it in my 55 behind a 322.  The car I pulled it from showed 71k on the odometer.  Between pedal wear, upholstery wear, and the lack of ridges on the tops of the cylinders, I'd venture the 71k is accurate.   The fluid in the transmission is very clean, no signs of metal or other material.  I hesitate to throw down all the money to rebuild this right now and am hoping it has a few miles left in it.  Would you risk just bolting this in?   

Previously discussed...

It will "work", but the 56 tranny is about an inch longer and the splines on the universal are different.  Some found that the transmission mount is different too.

7 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Previously discussed...

It will "work", but the 56 tranny is about an inch longer and the splines on the universal are different.  Some found that the transmission mount is different too.

Oh I know.  I have the torque tube rear, trans mount and cross member  (Also from the 56). The question was more if a 71k trans is trustworthy or I shouldnt waste the energy installing until I rebuild.