1916-1918 fiat oil capacity

truth

anyone have a way of knowing oil capacity in a fiat 9 litre 4 cyl motor?there is a float in the pan that raises a dip stick that i thought tells the level[any other cars like this i wonder]  but im not sure its working  i think the holes allow you to see where the stick is or maybe thats the level?  my thought was that the stick should level off w the top?  id love to hear what yall think about this   maybe theres a way to clculate capacities according to motor size?  im really at a loss here   there are no bolts to back out to check the level only this float  the float is just like the one in the carb but this float in the pan has the rod or stick fastened to it  1st pic is float w rod  2nd pic is the oil fill tube that the top of rod sits in that im thinking should level off w the top?  when the pan is empty the rod is at the lower holes    maybe i just need to keep adding oil   do these large motors have capacities of over 8 qts?  does anyone own a large 7 passenger touring car w over 8 qt oil capacity?  thanks for any help on this

oil pan timing cover 015.JPG

oil pan timing cover 018.JPG

oil pan timing cover 019.JPG

I suppose it is "full" when the float cannot rise further: it will hit the inner lip on the pan. Maybe measure the maximum rise and the location of the holes to see?

What is the oiling system? If splash, what range of oil level is needed for it to work?

Measure oil capacity with water, until the float hits the lip and see how much less when it is at each hole level in the filler tube?

12_56_50hp_7-passenger_touring_3.png

This 6 cylinder was rebuilt by Boulevard Motorcar Company in Westlake Village, California. so I think they should know. - http://blvdmc.com/

the current owner says the engine was recently rebuilt by Boulevard Motorcar Company in Westlake Village, California

Coincidentally this spent some time in my hometown of Santa Rosa, CA - http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22792/lot/102/

Mr. Colin "Ernie" Shaw of Santa Rosa, California purchased it around 1952 from a dentist in Los Angeles.

1916 would be the final year for the Model 56, with the choice of body styles reduced to five. In 1917, FIAT reduced its production in Poughkeepsie to only four-cylinder cars, and the American factory closed in 1918.

It looks like the Six had a similar system.

http://books.google.com/books?id=8swqAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1174&lpg=PA1174&dq=fiat+model+55&source=bl&ots=T3VrcyjLpE&sig=JPUZFxCpHS2GRM2o8C8_CAGMfdQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihyoSg9MTNAhWIKGMKHfsHCKwQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=fiat model 55&f=false

Here's some info starting on page 1174 of this automotive "ebook"

It says Lubrication is force-feed and non-splash. It also describes the gear oil pump mounted to the camshaft, on the rear end. And it DOES give the capacity. It says crankcase has a capacity of 4 to 5 gallons. NOT 4 to 5 quarts! This info is on page 1175.

Edited by mike6024
fix link to the ebook (see edit history)

Here is another good ebook with info on the 4 cylinder, Motor World. The FIAT article is on page 27 and 28. Not sure if the link takes you to the correct page or if you have to search for the page.

http://books.google.com/books?id=r-I_AQAAMAAJ&pg=RA10-PA27&lpg=RA10-PA27&dq=fiat+model+55&source=bl&ots=jJdIv-32Al&sig=eiA7WzOnQ9hIIWjOE8FKINKBgDE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihyoSg9MTNAhWIKGMKHfsHCKwQ6AEINTAE#v=onepage&q=fiat model 55&f=false

It describes the hollow crankshaft and the oil pump.

I think I would measure the height of the crankcase section of the engine.and consider the plane of the centerline of the crankshaft. One half of the stroke below the centerline plus any flange, cap or dipper arrangement should be slightly above the oil surface line or slightly below for a dipper. I might allow for about 15% (about 2" on at 30" crankcase) for driving on grades and a slight amount for consumption during operation. The standpipe looks like it unscrews so you can measure down from the upper thread to the oil surface. Once that reference point is established the float, if it still has its original specific gravity, should be in a position where the markings become clear.

Without some documentation I would be pretty comfortable with that calculation or something close if some other variables came to mind.

Bernie

• Like 1

http://books.google.com/books?id=8swqAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1174&lpg=PA1174&dq=fiat+model+55&source=bl&ots=T3VrcyjLpE&sig=JPUZFxCpHS2GRM2o8C8_CAGMfdQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihyoSg9MTNAhWIKGMKHfsHCKwQ6AEIKTAA#v=onepage&q=fiat model 55&f=false

On page 1176 if you zoom in on it, it shows, Figure 8 - End view of Crankcase, Showing the External Oil Leads.

A copper tube comes out the side of the sump near the bottom, and travels vertically up to the oil pump. Then exiting the pump is a horizontal copper tube that then goes in and feeds the horizontal end-to-end oil pipe.

That's quite an engine/motor. (This article consistently refers to it as the 4 cylinder Fiat motor.)

• 7 years later...