Looking for a Hudson or Terraplane Pickup

Looking for a driver quality Hudson Pickup.  A terraplane would do as well but might be out of my budget.  An older restoration with some wear or a good original survivor type truck is exactly what I'm looking for.  I found a few on the Web,  of course they were all sold.  (It's amazing how outdated some of the stuff on the web is. )   The prices seemed right in line with what I'm looking for.  It can need brakes and tires, elbow grease etc.  Prefer it have a running engine though.  I really like totally stock original vehicles but I will consider some deviations especially if it still looks stock.  

Here are a few of the sold ones i found so you know in general what I have in mind.  I will entertain anything you have or know of though. 

47-PU-01.jpg1941 Hudson Big Boy Pickup Truck Garage Find Project1947-hudson-pickup-ameriky-american-cars699ae1fc09e690c03337efaabdf38d55.jpg

Good luck with this, I have been looking for a good 37 for 10 years, looked at a couple, looked at one completely gone, just not many out there to be had.

I figured the Terraplane would be a long shot.  With pretty much all of these,  10G-12G seems to be the entry price for a driver or near driver project. 

The Terraplane I think is in the higher teens.  I have seen a few but I'm not really in the position to go 20G right now. It's amazing how much is really out their that the web still turns up. 

If I don't find one,  I still have my 49 Chevy 3100 to drive.   

I have a lead on one I found,  We'll see how it turns out but I'm not holding my breath. 

Check the HAMB search for cars for sale. There was a 47 for sale for a while.

They can be converted back to original drive line.

Most of the 40-47 pick ups have had " stepdown" 262/308 engines installed.

The original 212 engine is very costly to repair , as is the 254 eight ( also not original)

A lot of these set in storage , they are not very comfortable to drive.

Sign up here and place a wanted ad. Many of us are at the age of reducing collections

and are looking for a collector buyer.

http://www.hetclub.org/forum/categories/hudson

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm a little surprised that this one hasn't sold yet, although it may have and the seller hasn't cancelled the listing. It's a '41 and it looks solid. It looks like it has a standard wheelbase and not a "Big Boy" (128"?). Personally, I think '40s and '41s are some of the best looking Hudsons made.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/5586019901.html

The 37 was on ebay for 17500 I think.  There was a not so stock but very stock looking Terraplane on Hemmings for I think 30 something.  I would buy that before I dished out 20,000 for the blue project truck.    I think he may be a bit high on that project.  There is a 41 in Canada for low teens 11?  That has a modern drivetrain.   

The 41 you showed is a bit rougher than I want to tackle as it needs everything.  I was hoping to get something I could get on the road in a couple of months. 

I did get an ad up this afternoon(that was a little confusing)  on the site recommended.  We'll see if that turns anything up.   I do appreciate the tips.  I did some craigslist searching in a few regions but that's a tough thing to do,  along with google image searches and CLAZ , trader on line etc, but nothing really came up.

Does anyone here remember the two Terraplane PUs in Bakersfield Ca? They were pretty nice projects but as I don't really fit I had to pass on them. Privately owner by a widow I would guess they are still there 

You show pictures of Hudson trucks from 1937 to 1947 in your wanted ad. Not sure what you are really after? A Terraplane truck should cost less then a Hudson truck in my opinion. Terraplanes being the cheaper models in the Hudson line up. Hudson did not make a truck in 1937, one was only in the terraplane line. You could put a Hudson front end on one and get a longer look to the front, cut the cab in half and put on coupe doors and stretch the frame seven inches. You end up with more interior room, and it puts the proportions in balance from front to back. I will post some shots of trucks that I have done. Having trouble up loading pictures, so it might be in a few posts.     

47 hudson truck 012.JPG

The trucks are pretty easy to find in the pacific north west. If I remember there was a Hudson plant in the Portland area, so Hudsons are in pretty good numbers around here. Placing a wanted ad on craigslist in ID,OR and WA will turn one up. Glen Johnson, Dick Riggs and other HET members will have have one right now. Dick Riggs in Portland will know what happened to all of Jim Harmons Hudsons. He had a few trucks as did Alan Boltler in WA. Charlie Nau in MT will most likely know of one as well. Let me know if you need help in finding one.

Seems the styling of the Terraplane puts it more valuable than the later Hudson Pickups. (atleast from what I have seen on the Web)   Just like a 32 Ford commands alot more than other more superior makes.  Terraplane seems to be just more desirable.  I would still gladly consider either.  But 20 G For a non running project isn't going to happen right now.  I'm shopping in general in the low teens right now but like the truck above will stretch it a bit if necessary depending on what the truck needs.  I'm not strictly price shopping.  I'm value shopping and full well understand you get what you pay for.  I'll pay more if the value is their. 

The Terraplanes have a lower production. It is to bad that the back of the terraplane trucks do not match the front styling. The truck you are looking at is a mix of passenger car and truck. Front bumper, fender lights, fender trim, steering wheel, dash panels, hood trim,hood scripts are all from a passenger car. Super six or Commodore, The trucks only had one tail light that was recessed in the back panel. And no rear bumper. The grill emblem housing shows it to be a 1946. The trucks never had fender skirts, the passenger car rear fenders are different then the trucks. So some one has made the rear skirts. Do not know how tall you are, but you might want to sit in one and drive it before you buy. They are very uncomfortable to sit in and drive if you are around 6ft and 200 pounds. Trucks used the front doors from sedans so they are very short. Stretching the cab makes a big difference.     

I knew this one was Dolled up a bit.  I don't mind that aspect.  I'm 6 foot but 170 and very flexible / athletic.  (No Gut )  I drive a 49 Chevy Pickup right now,  bone stock.  I have no problem driving my wife's VW rabbit Conv.  except the pedals are real small.   I'm not looking for an all day touring car.  Around town/ back and forth to the shop.  Usually 10 mile or less jaunts each way. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:21 PM, auburnseeker said:

I found this one,  I'm pondering on the east coast.  Looks pretty good but I'm concerned with hidden rust.  As the seller mentioned it's a 20 footer.   It would probably be a good driver but needs a little TLC as it has been sitting for 2 years. 

75[1].JPG

72[1].JPG

73[1].JPG

74[1].JPG

77[1].JPG

78[1].JPG

How much for the 20 footer, if your not interested in it, I am, I'm a 20 footer too!!!!!!!  

Still looking for one.  I have chased some leads and still pursuing one (waiting on more details)  but if anyone sees or knows of one locally that aren't advertised on the Web or are advertised on your local craigslist let me know.  I search craigslist daily but there is no way to search them all.   

I did see the tan and brown one on Craigslist in Orlando FL. 

Thanks in advance for any leads or tips.

On 6/23/2016 at 6:01 AM, Roj said:

Good luck with this, I have been looking for a good 37 for 10 years, looked at a couple, looked at one completely gone, just not many out there to be had.

This one just was sold this year... This car was not online...

carrty.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

I have found a few 37's mostly in the shape you are showing.  Being I want more turn key or atleast closer to turn key I figured a 40-47 was the most realistic choice in my price range.  I'm persuing 2 right now.  I'm still waiting on more detailed photos of each but actively looking everywhere in the meantime.  Even the 40-47's aren't very common and very few seem to be on the market at any time. Google image searches have picked up several that have sold and often what they sold for, so I'm in the ball park. 

I sold a '36 H-T pickup a little over a decade ago. If you get a chance to look one over closely the factory conversion is about the quality of a home job. And the box ain't anything to brag about. I will see if I can find the old disk with some close up pictures.

The truck I got had been disassembled for restoration and sitting for at least 15 years. Just the body had been removed from the frame. I brought some new bolts with me and the owner helped me put the cab and box back on. We put the fenders in the box. At home I put the fenders on with some new bolts. The guy I sold it to had it running in about a week. "Bolts not included. Restoration not required" How common is that story.

Bernie

The trucks from Hudson Motor Car Co.

1929 and 1931 Dover (Exxex chassis)

1933-1935 Terraplane trucks (semi-production, very limited)

1936-1938 Terraplane trucks (full production, all body styles)

1939-1947 Hudson trucks (all styles pre war but only l.w.b. pickups post war

1948 and later - no trucks sold

I pulled the attached '34 Terraplane pickup out of a logging barn in McMinnville, OR some 30+ years ago.

34TerraplanePUMrsHarbaugh.jpg

Edited by StillOutThere
spelling (see edit history)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That one would work as well.  Nice find.  I know the stuff is still out their.  It's a matter of patience and diligence.  Stuff keeps coming on the market.  One that will fit the bill will turn up.  I'm not incredibly fussy like a few others  that have posted looking for cars.  A wide spectrum of colors and years as well as varying conditions as long as it's not a pile of parts all combine to yield alot more options.  One truck I'm pursuing is stock and the other is modified.  I just want the best truck for my money.