Scotsbass

Recommendations on 425 Nailhead rebuilder...

Hi,

I live in Portland, Oregon and have a '64 Riviera 425 in need of a motor rebuild.  I am planning to have a local restorer pull the motor and then ship it where required. I'm not necessarily wanting a massive power increase, but a few extra hp never offends. I really just want someone who knows these motors and will do the job properly.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Kind regards

Keith

Riv at QFC.jpg

• Like 1

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Russ Martin in Grass Valley, CA

Agree with the Russ suggestion since you are on west coast. http://nailheadbuick.com/   You could probably even take a trip and deliver it. Regardless of what any local shop will tell you, unless they have a proven track record with nailheads, its worth sending to someone who does......no matter the cost of shipping.

I know a guy who just had a 425 done by Russ for his 66. He said it was a good experience and engine was just broken in and so far everything is good.

Many thanks, Guys. I've just dropped Russ a mail - No doubt, I'll be back to get some ROA input on the various options :)

K

Jason is right.  You really need someone who has experience with a nailhead and Russ Martin has a good reputation.  There are others out there as well.  These are not small block Chevy's!

Dave Inglis in Bend Oregon. He built a 425 motor for me in High School back in 1980.  I just recently had him rebuild a 425 for my 64. PM me if you want details. 

Kraig

Scotsbass, like the look of the deep wheels on your '64 but can't see the centers. Got another photo showing them? Are they 15"?

Hi Scottsbass,

read your post out of interest but...... Is that a nice looking Riv or what! The gold ( bronze I think it was called ) is absolutely stunning! I'm with Slosteve, need more photos. Wikid!

just mtbw

Rodney

Thanks for all the input, Guys, much appreciated. Also for those who wanted to know about the wheels - they're chrome 15" with a small smoothy cap modded to take a three spoke spinner with R logo in silver. 

The paint is original 'Tawny Mist' with fawn and saddle interior.

Thanks for the help....I'll be back for more.

K

Riv Hubcap.JPG

RivRear.jpg

Riv top shot 17th.JPG

• Like 1

Hi.  I'm a new member #15068, and I've got an original 63 barn find with a 401.  Even though it's only the base model, I want to keep it stock.  The engine is a little long in the tooth and I'd like to get it rebuilt, but I'm in FL.

Any advise?