1955 Oldsmobile, problem with Hydramatic

ThomasBorchers

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 1955 Oldsmobile Super 88 with Hydramatic transmission.

I restored the car the last 16 years. The car stood still all the time, but every two years or so I let the engine run. But the car stood at the same spot. I don’t know since when the car was not on the road before the restoration.

The problem is : When I start the engine, go into R with the gear selector, the idle goes a bit down ( as it should ), I can feel that a gear is in and with acceleration the car goes reverse. When I go then into Drive, it will not move forward. Also not in the other Gears like L and S. When I am in N, the idle goes a bit up again but when I accelerate the engine, it feels as when the car tries to go reverse. When I wait a while, sometimes I hear a small noise and the car has no longer the tendency to go reverse. When I then put into “Dr” it will go forward.

When I jack up the rear wheels and I try all this, it is working as it should.

The oil level at the transmission is at the F mark.

Has someone an idea what the problem is and what I could do?

Thanks for your help

Thomas

Today new game : I had to back up the Olds from the car bench for an other car. Wanted to drive it now forward, no chance. I jacked the car up at the rear and see how the wheels are working :

N : Wheels spin backwards but not with "power", it is easy to stop them. 

Dr, S, L : No turning wheels but I can feel that the transmission is in gear because the idle speed is lower as in N.

R : Wheels spin as they should and faster as in N.

Now my car stands on the outer place and a thunderstorm will come this afternoon... of course... :blink:

Thomas

Edited by ThomasBorchers (see edit history)

OK, car is back under the roof... :mellow:

I accelerated a bit more… and then in "Dr" the gear went in and I drove onto the bench again. Then I tried it there from N into fwd gears and R. Well, it takes some seconds, then the gear is in. Or no gear in it in N.

Could this be a problem of sticky valves or so?

• Like 1