Did you go to a Father's day show?

alsancle

Yep, day before but in CT the Klingberg show is the Father's Day event.  Dad and I go every year.  A well run show that draws a lot of quality earlier stuff due to the "mini concours" and emphasis on prewar stuff.

Two Duesys present (almost had 3!) as well a strong showing of Full Classics, brass and low mile prewar cars.  I think Mercer 09 is interested in A town cars, this one I believe is a local car but no placard present to provide the details.

ACD Row Klingberg 16.jpg

Model A Towncar Klingberg 16.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Yes, went to the annual Father's Day show at Oakbrook Mall in IL. It was a little disappointing this year. Seemed to be fewer cars this year, It is put on by the CCCA, but there were a few modified cars, which were not there before, and some newer ones, 2002 T-bird, 2010 Dodge Challenger, etc. And not one Duesenberg or Cord, and only one Rolls Royce. Still a nice show, but I hope it isn't headed towards more new and modified, and fewer classics. But I guess that is what the general public wants.

5 minutes ago, LINC400 said:

But I guess that is what the general public wants.

Not what the public wants but what is available to bring.  There was only one full Classic at the show we went to and maybe 30 prewar cars out of the 300 there.  More of a cruise night than a show but it was fun.  

33 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Not what the public wants but what is available to bring.  There was only one full Classic at the show we went to and maybe 30 prewar cars out of the 300 there.  More of a cruise night than a show but it was fun.  

No, it is what the general public wants. They walk right past the Packard dual cowl phaetons and Cadillac V-16's to look at Mustangs and modifieds. I even heard a few people comment that the new Challenger was the best car there.

On Klingberg the one comment I will make is organizer Mark Johnson (also associated with the school) has put effort into attracting prewar cars and the owners have responded very well.  This is a local event, not a prestige deal, but it benefits a school with an automotive program and has become known as one of the handful of shows that really welcomes the older stuff.  A lot of well known collectors support it and so do a lot of locals with cool cars.  I think prewar owners to some degree want to see other similar cars, so the right venue can get them to show.  In CT Belltown (Always first Sunday in August!  :) )is taking that approach more and more, and is also another great venue for these cars.  Anyway, no matter what I hope everyone enjoyed a great show with their dad/kid/both, a great way to spend the day!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Friday/Sat was the annual antique truck show at Macungie. 700+ mostly restored trucks ranging from a Crosley PU to the biggest Auto-Cars.  Lots of chain drive trucks and a big flea market.  Way cool show. Free to the public and a modest $15 entry. It happens every Father's day week end and gets bigger every year. Actually one of my favorite shows. I can't help but marveling at a FULLY restored old concrete or tanker truck ............Bob

• Like 1

There was a car show in town. About 200 cars and 80%+ modified cars and trucks. With a temperature over 100 degrees I walked through and was done by 9:00 A.M. and by 9:15 home with my feet up enjoying the A/C and a good book. The four major car clubs in town don't get the best weather is Jan-March and October- December!  

We drove our 50 Chevy Deluxe up to Hartford CT on Friday, with a group of fellow member of the Long Island Region of the VCCA to go on a tour up to Stockbridge MA with the Southern New England Region on Saturday. GREAT ROADS! WE returned home to Long Island yesterday early in the afternoon, had a cook out and all three of my sons were there at the same time! First time that has happened in years, other then funerals or weddings!  Covered over 500 miles in the old stovebolt and went on the ferries both way's ............. good time and even better weather

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

7 hours ago, John348 said:

We drove our 50 Chevy Deluxe up to Hartford CT on Friday, with a group of fellow member of the Long Island Region of the VCCA to go on a tour up to Stockbridge MA with the Southern New England Region on Saturday. GREAT ROADS! WE returned home to Long Island yesterday early in the afternoon, had a cook out and all three of my sons were there at the same time! First time that has happened in years, other then funerals or weddings!  Covered over 500 miles in the old stovebolt and went on the ferries both way's ............. good time and even better weather

John, I'm kind of partial to those Chevys ( 49-52 ) , well also 32 & 39-41. Could you post a picture of your 50?

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, helfen said:

John, I'm kind of partial to those Chevys ( 49-52 ) , well also 32 & 39-42. Could you post a picture of your 50?

Will do, but later today, I had to buy another computer and my son has to finish "setting it up" I hope tonight. I love this car! I bought it from the classifieds here on the site about 2 years ago solid as a rock! Came from Birmingham Alabama with the original bill of sale. 235 with the Powerglide, 60,000 original miles needs paint, I never was to the Berkshires or NW Connecticut what a great scenic place for a driving tour. The only thing that could have made my Father's Day better would have been to show my Dad this car. He passed away 5 years ago, he would have loved this car! These early PG's don't shift so there is no low gear unless you manually do it, combine that with huck brakes and it can be a little tricky to stop, there is no downshift so the engine does not help you slow down. Everyone loves the patina, but I think this is a perfect car to restore. I can see this car as a grand national winner for under 20K which for a Chevrolet is pretty hard to do. My wife pointed out on the Bridgeport Ferry yesterday "then you will have another car that you don't use" valid point 

I went to the 60th Newport Motor Car Festival in Portsmouth, RI. 30 years ago, it was the premier event of the season but sadly, its degenerated to the point where its 90% 50s and later with virtually no CCCA classics and very few cars that were even pre-WWII. There were 2 brass cars, one brought by a local museum and the other a special guest because it had belonged to one of the founders of the event. I only go because its a chance to see some very old friends... otherwise, its a waste of time and, unfortunately, the two cars that were interesting were parked next to the wretched loud speakers blasting out 50s pop music at a level that made reasonable conversation nearly impossible. There is a car event just about every weekend around here and I won't be going to any of them.

9 hours ago, LINC400 said:

Yes, went to the annual Father's Day show at Oakbrook Mall in IL. It was a little disappointing this year.

I went to this show also but as a spectator. Have to agree that amount of show cars seemed to be down. But still and enjoyable show to go to.

I however did notice the Packards :)

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

Stan Hywet.   Akron, OH.  

DSC00792.JPG

DSC00802.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00797.JPG

I'm the director of the club that puts on the Stan Hywet show and my wife, Melanie, ran the show this year. You can see my '29 Cadillac behind the lovely green '31 Lincoln Dietrich convertible sedan and my '41 Buick Limo with its hood open just in front of the burgundy '35 Packard convertible sedan. We had 436 cars show up (out of 456 registered) and nearly 10,000 spectators attend this year. I'll see if I can find more photos tomorrow. This was my 40th year at this particular show, I've been coming since I was a little kid. Still one of the very best shows in the area. I'm very proud of my wife and our club for the job they did making it happen.

Thanks for the photos!

9 hours ago, helfen said:

John, I'm kind of partial to those Chevys ( 49-52 ) , well also 32 & 39-41. Could you post a picture of your 50?

Hey Helfen,

Here are a few photo's I took on the tour this weekend while on the tour, plus another showing the "patina"

237.JPG

261.JPG

203.JPG

232.JPG

239.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Do not restore that Chevy.

That is a hard decision, A lot of people share your opinion and I understand it all too well. Everytime I take it out I get approached by the "Rat Rod Crew" looking to buy it which I refuse to even entertain offers from. 15 years ago that Chevy was a score as a candidate for restoration, now with rising costs and many blundered attempts at restoration it now has become the "in" thing to not to restore. I rather see it restored then a 350 engine installed, and then it's history is truely lost. If I decide to do it it will be done right! It is an easy one to restore, right now I am just enjoying driving it. If I restore it I know that won't happen that much. Half of the cars in my collection are unrestored gems like the 50 is.

Back on track it was a great Fathers Day for me

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I have a 1954 Chrysler convertible. it is all original like your chevy. I currently do not have the funds to restore, so I drive it as is.gets a lot of attention when I am out and about by myself, but gets passed by a lot at the shows. most people say to leave it as is. today is a good day to drive it. I did go to a fathers day show, the blueberry festival in Burgaw, NC.

We went to the Fathers Day Car Show held on Main Street in Hyannis MA, on Cape Cod. Very nice show. Dozens of great restaurants up and down Main. Weather couldn't be better. We went up Friday and came home Monday, spent the weekend touring the Cape. Another nice part is that we took the ferry from Orient Point to New London and didn't have to deal with NYC traffic.

I think I am going to shy away from shows on pavement this season if its hot weather.

That pavement glare is to hot for this old guy even with the pop up.

I don't want to get to the point that JV is and just give up.

I like to drive my cars and hanging out with fellow enthusiasts is fun for me and gives me someplace to go.

Hagerty had a "Show and Shine" car show Saturday at the brickyard in conjunction with the SCRA vintage races. . Entries received access for two people and your car for two days and the "Three Dog Night" concert Saturday night. The high lite was we got to take the cars out on the Indy Track ! As I had the oldest car that lined up I waited to be the last car. About 50 cars lined up - no trailer queens took the opportunity but there were Porches, Vets, Mustangs, E-types, Chevells, MG's, Chargers and every kind of muscle car you can think of and my 38 Studebaker. Single file with a pace car and a trailer car behind me. First lap was slow at about 35-40, second lap about 50 mph, third lap I had the 38 flat out about 65-70 and never lifted around the two and a half miles. We had a ball. A Porsche Carrera was in front of me and would back way off the car in front of him then take off. I was going flat out with the trail car behind me just cruising along. One time I came up on the Porsche before he stepped on it so I made a quick move to the inside to make the pass! He hit it and left us in his dust and had the nerve to wave bye bye. I could see the guys in the trail car busting a gut laughing there heads off as we were too. Great time and I really recommend anyone that gets the chance to run the track do not hesitate to do it. It is a must do bucket list item!

Indy Bricks.png

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I didn't go to a car show, but was a driver at my company's auction here in Raleigh.  Drove some great cars Fri, Sat and drove a few "home" to their storage buildings on Sun.  This Beetle wasn't a "Best in Show" but I laughed the entire time I drove it through the auction line and up on stage. 

The first picture is at Preview Night - the 2nd is during the auction. :)

IMG_0326 a.jpg

IMG_0327 a.jpg