Help! Needing to identify frame

Guest HDAshmore

Guest HDAshmore

There is a frame in our field.  I was told over 15 years ago that it was an Essex frame.  The gentlemen passed away so I cannot ask how he knew that.  I do not want to scrap it, especially if it is something special.  I think there have been some farm modifications to it but otherwise it looks intact minus the welded on additions?  There is a chevrolet bearing cap and a pontiac bearng cap on two of the wheels, so I am really at a loss at what I am looking at.  Any help would be appreciated.  I took the best pics I could for where it is sitting.  I am having a horrible time getting pics to load so I created a craigslist add just to post the pics.  Sorry but this is the only way I could get pics uploaded.  Below is the URL.

http://ksu.craigslist.org/pts/5642589636.html

Thanks,

Dan

Edited by HDAshmore (see edit history)

Guest HDAshmore

Al,

Thanks, that may explain the one Chevy wheel cap.  Any clue on year or model?   I know he said Essex but I dont know why or even what an Essex is.  Are old Chevy's the only cars with 6 bolt wheels?  I tried to capture the only numbers I could find on the axle in the one picture thinking maybe they meant something.  Regardless of what it turns out to be, I appreciate your input and time.

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

Roger, thanks for the information an pic.  Definenetly no a 31 Essex sitiing in my field from the looks of your crossmember  I am getting the feeling that this is not an Essex.  Anyone with any inklings or knows for sure what it is.  I am stil clueless but hoping someone recognizes it.

Thanks,

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

Mr. LaFong,

I was wondering what that tube was.  I thought it was part of a drive shaft assembly.  The two lever junctions attached to the side of the frame are also enigmas to me.  But that is to be expectd as I have no experience with older cars short of Classic Mustangs and the Ford Woody sitting by this frame.  You are the second responder to think it may be a Chevy.  Any thoughts as to what year or model?  Thanks for taking the time to look and respond, I appreciate all input and information from the experts.

V/R

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

1912 Staver and Jon37,

Thank you both for the information.  I have had enough reply's to convince me that it is not an Essex.  I do not know why the gentlea ever said it was.  Now I need to find out what it really is.  Hopefully there is someone out there that can identify it so I dont have to be stuck on stupid everytime I walk past it in the pasture.

Happy Father's Day to all, especially our service members and veteran's who cannot be with their families today.

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

Jon37,

You nailed my dilema spot on in the AACA Forum post!   I thought it would be best to post in both places becuse there were Essex experts on that forum.  Thank you for taking the time to reach out to some experts for me. Any and all information helps identify or exclude whatever the mystery in my pasture may be. I was starting to feel like finding the answer was going to be like finding a Chupacabra or Unicorn. Both forums and the people have been great.

v/r

Dan

I also believe it is Chevy.  I compared a few things on my 29 chevy cut-down tractor.   Those two cross rods with side levers are for the brake rods, and match mine.  Your rear engine mounting points are the same, right down to the thin metal clip at the bolt hole.

But my steering box bolt pattern seems different, and the front part of the driveshaft torque tube is different as far as the clamped on thing on yours.  I can't read the casting number on my rear differential as the numbers are very small compared to yours.  Also, the short helper leaves on the springs are the same, and are called dampers in chevy speak.

29 was first year of the six, but I don't know if the older 4 had these details.     If I was forced to guess the year from comparing, I think it was a six, and I would say 31 or 32, but that is a guess.

the VCCA website would know, if you joined up to ask.

I would have thought earlier Chevrolet.  The ones with the gas gauge on the tank because the rear cross member has two holes in it.  The front of the torque tube is familiar but I am having a "blond" or "senior" moment and cant find the proper mental file.

Guest HDAshmore

Thank you both!  I think I remember the gentlemen saying 32 but he also said Essex.  Maybe he had the year right and what the frame was wrong.  It sounds like for sure a Chevy from what everyone has said.  F&J, thank you for taking the time to compare to yours.  Here is my "blond rookie and senior moment" of the day.  What is a "six"?  Is that a Chevy model from the 30s?  I hope thanks to all the great people and responses that I am close to knowing what it is.  Tinindian, thank you to for you information and time.

V/R

Dan

1 hour ago, HDAshmore said:

What is a "six"?  Is that a Chevy model from the 30s?  I hope thanks to all the great people and responses that I am close to knowing what it is.  Tinindian, thank you to for you information and time.

V/R

Dan

Sorry, six means a 6 cylinder motor.  I don't know anything about the 1928 or older Chevy cars that had the 4 cylinder, so I have no clue if your frame has those features of a 4.cylinder chassis.

The reason I did a guess on 31 or 32, is that most, but not all companies started making ridged frames with a big X center section by 1932....so I doubt yours could be a 1933 anything.  But I suppose a 33-up  chevy pickup might have still used the simple frame called a "ladder frame".

As far as what was said about the two holes in the rear crossmember, I have owned other makes of that age, that had the second hole for the gas gauge sending unit to stick through.  That was to be able to change a broken sending unit without taking the tank off the car.

You should try the VCCA website.  I'd post it under their 29-32 forum, because even if it is a bit older or newer, those members will be curious enough to look.  Many of them have chevys of many years.  And...if it's not a chevy, you will know for sure when they look.

here is that link:

http://vcca.org/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/1/1/1929-32

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

Guest HDAshmore

F&J,

Thanks a bunch just went and regitered, mentioned you and your recommendation.  I hope it leads to make, model year and what it may be reasonable asking for or if it is scrap.

Thank you for taking your time and giving great advice.

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

So far from VCCA Forum is this may be from a 1928 Chevy Car.  Farm modifications may make it unusable. If anyone else can add in their knowledge as to what 1928 Chevy or are all the same that year?  Otherwise I think the mystery is as solved as it can be for me.  I appreciate the great people in this forum who took the time to help a stranger out.  Anyone need a 1928 Chevy car frame, I think I know where a cheap one is sitting:)

Cheers to all and God Bless America!

Dan

Guest HDAshmore

Well crap!  Just when I thought it was solved a guy just emailed me and said 1928-1932 Model A or AA.  Is that a Ford or did Chevy have a Model A?  Once again my ignorance is at the mercy of the experts.  I am apt to believe anything at this point.  Everyone is so nice and so convincing in their posts.  I really appreciate all the input.  

Dan 

^^^^Ignore that guy,.^^^^

That is not a Ford frame of any year. It is almost certainly a Chevy frame. 1932 would have been a B or BB, which it still isn't. Some people feel it's necessary to add their substandard observations when they have not the slightest idea of what hey are talking about

Guest HDAshmore

Thank you, that was my gut feeling as he was the only one saying Ford Model A, but did not want to be negative because of my ignorance.  I really appreciate the information.  I am going to stick with 1928-32 Chevy Frame.  Most likely 1928 from the most responses on the Chevy Forum.

Have a great day,

Dan