cylinder head Dictator 6 cyl. 1934

Guest Martin54

Guest Martin54

I

I have a  big problem. I started the motor of my Dictator and when the motor became warm, I saw that the cylinder head is cracked. Unfortunately it is not possible to weld. May I ask you if you know where I could get a cylinder head from ?

Thanks for your answer

Martin from Switzerland

IMG-20160618-WA0013.jpg

Hi Martin, 

from your photo I cant see the position of the crack, but in some cases cast machinery is repairable using the "thread stitching technique".

Here is a link on Youtube showing that method, its not difficult and could be a possible solution to you problem if you cant get a replacement or its too cost prohibitive, (due to your country).

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your project.

Roger 

Brisbane Australia

The youtube link is excellent.  I have seen repairs done without the jigs and fancy pieces.  Using brass plugs screwed into overlapping holes used to be a standard way of fixing water jacket leaks.  I even used it once to stich parts of a crankcase back together after a connecting rod had tried to escape. 

Cast iron welding had become a lost art. But it is one that has been rediscovered. Can you show us some better pictures highlighting the crack? It may actually be repairable. Unfortunately, your location is probably the worst part of the situation. There are a few people that could probably repair the head. But shipping both ways could be prohibitive. If you can find a good one, at least shipping only one way would be about half as bad.

My cousin from Milwaukee used to travel the country doing metal stitching on ocean going vessel engines, unfortunately he passed.  Per his comment anything could be fixed.  Shipping cost cannot be that much, my worry would be it getting lost must insure.

Edited by 1927Chevy
insure (see edit history)

Guest Martin54

Thank you all for your answers! I forgot to add, that it is an alloy cylinder head. Also I add two photos.

. There are two cracks. One on the left side from the thermostat opening to the bolt  and the other goes from the thermostat opening till to the thread oft he first spark plug. You can see it is somewhat dark from the burnt cool water.

Thank you again IMG_7321.JPGIMG_7321.JPGIMG_7327.JPGIMG_7327.JPGfor your support and best regards

Martin

IMG_7317.JPG

Any reputable machine shop should be able to repair those with a thread stitching technique either using the "LOCK-N-STITCH" method or just using a drill and tap and threaded rod.

Martin

The engine that we talked about turns out to be not a 1935 but a 1934 Dictator engine.

Shipping it to Switzerland will be expensive.

I am having health problems but I can ask my son to unbolt the head and ship that first.

I probably won't be able to ship the rest of the engine until fall.

If you only need the head it maybe that someone else can use the rest of the supposedly rebuilt engine.

I can have the aluminum head magna fluxed to check for cracks.

Remember that aluminum heads take a different head gasket.

Robert Kapteyn

Guest Martin54

Fantastic, thank you for your answer Robert! I am very happy to hear that. As I wrote I would appreciate if you could send me the head bolts together with the cylinder head. And for the rest of the motors we can talk when you are again by good health. Please let me know about the details for payment and shipping. I am member of PAYPAL, if you accept.

Thanks again and best regards

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Martin

I talked to the machine shop and they recommended

not to remove the aluminum head but to pressurize

the cooling water system with low pressure air and look for bubbles after spraying soap on the head.

My problem now is that 3 head bolts are missing, apparently removed to install a chain for lifting.

I am trying to locate head bolts.

Bob

Guest Martin54

Bob, thank you for your information. I am happy to hear that you will make this test first and hopefully it will be in good shape.

Thanks, and have a nice weekend

Martin

• 1 month later...

Martin

I am just now recovering and get back to working on that engine.

Do you want me to get a quote to ship the engine to Switzerland?

I can also just send the cylinder head but I have not been able to pressure test it.

Do you have the correct head gasket?

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com