1958 Fuel Sending Unit Question

chris_58

All,

So my fuel sending on my 1958 Super was working great, when I realized that the soldering around the return line tube had cracked, allowing a small amount of fuel to come out through the crack. I dropped the tank, carefully removed the sending unit, carefully cleaned it around the soldered area and used J-B Weld to seal up the cracked solder. I then reinstalled it using a new gasket and even added a ground wire and reinstalled the tank. I then (last night) filled in approx. 5 gals of fuel, which is about a quarter tank. When I turned the ignition on, the needle went to 1/4 tank. So far so good.

When I started up the car today the needle moved, but barely made it to "E". I added 5 more gallons (total of 10 now - which should be 1/2 a tank) but the gage reads on 1/4. Any idea what could cause this? The gage was working fine before I pulled it out.

PS: The float is the original cork block. Is it possible that it dried while it was out and is now soaking up the fuel, making it heavier - alas showing less fuel?

Chris