Restore my buick electra 1969 :)

sebastienbuick

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:01 AM, EmTee said:

The new sticker is big enough to cover the area on your air cleaner housing where the adhesive residue from the old sticker is visible in your photo above.  I believe the "PP" is a code for the engine and car model.  Different GM models used similar stickers with different 2-letter codes

AH ok thanks, because I saw a similar sticker but the letter code is "BG".
Do you know what letter codes do I need for my model? (Buick 69, V8 430CI)
Thank you :) 

16 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

Do you know what letter codes do I need for my model?

Sorry - I don't know the code for your car.  The best case would be to look at your old sticker if possible.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

Sorry - I don't know the code for your car.  The best case would be to look at your old sticker if possible.

AH ok thanks anyway :) 
The problem is that I do not have the original sticker, I just found old traces of glue of the sticker

I think I just found the correct sticker for your car -- look at part number DB0443 at the link below.

https://classicbuicks.com/shop/decals-labels-tags/air-cleaner-decals-tags/

According to the vendor, it looks like the code for your car is BJ

image_resized_1198.jpg

If there is an engine specification and tuning decal on your fan shroud or radiator support it may also show the 2-letter code.  I found the one below on Ebay supposedly for a 1969 Electra 430 V8.

s-l1600.jpg

The one above shows "BH" (not BJ).  You may not ever be able to find the exact, matching pair of original decals, since i'm sure they do not reproduce every combination.  You may have to settle for "close enough".  Even if not 100% correct, using one of these reproduction air cleaner decals will make your engine look much more original than it would without one at all...  ;)

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EmTee said:

I think I just found the correct sticker for your car -- look at part number DB0443 at the link below.

https://classicbuicks.com/shop/decals-labels-tags/air-cleaner-decals-tags/

According to the vendor, it looks like the code for your car is BJ

image_resized_1198.jpg

If there is an engine specification and tuning decal on your fan shroud or radiator support it may also show the 2-letter code.  I found the one below on Ebay supposedly for a 1969 Electra 430 V8.

s-l1600.jpg

The one above shows "BH" (not BJ).  You may not ever be able to find the exact, matching pair of original decals, since i'm sure they do not reproduce every combination.  You may have to settle for "close enough".  Even if not 100% correct, using one of these reproduction air cleaner decals will make your engine look much more original than it would without one at all...  ;)

Thank you very much, thank you for finding the sticker for my buick :) .
I need the one with the code "BJ", I will order it soon :) .
The sticker on the radiator is really interesting, can you send me the link of this ad? .
thank you again for your help, I wish you a very good day :) 

1 hour ago, sebastienbuick said:

The sticker on the radiator is really interesting, can you send me the link of this ad? .

It looks like "CARS" has the emission decal that you're looking for:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=97_111_120_126&products_id=1327

d128.png

These pictures shows where it belongs on the fan shroud:

16628247-1969-buick-electra-225-custom-s

1971-buick-electra-225-cars-in-steger-il

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, EmTee said:

It looks like "CARS" has the emission decal that you're looking for:

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=97_111_120_126&products_id=1327

d128.png

These pictures shows where it belongs on the fan shroud:

16628247-1969-buick-electra-225-custom-s

1971-buick-electra-225-cars-in-steger-il

Thank you very much, I will also order this one :) 
Thank you so much :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EmTee said:

Glad to help a fellow Buick restorer!  While you are ordering decals, be sure to get a pair of these for the center of each valve cover.

d65.png

http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1375

Thank you very much, I will order this too :) .
Thanks again and have a nice day :) 

This suddenly reminded me of a white 69 Electra coupe my dad had, simply because it's a 69 Electra.  Fairly low miles, ran beautifully, but rusted beyond worth repairing.  I think it met its demise in the early 1990's. 

It's amazing how many cars back then actually died from rust when the interior and mechanicals were great.  People would drive them in the salty winter without washing them frequently enough and it killed them.

A 73 Centurian coupe he had (<50k miles) and a 66 Galaxie sedan (<60k miles) met similar fates.

Sorry for hijacking your thread...just a short trip down memory lane.

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, lancemb said:

This suddenly reminded me of a white 69 Electra coupe my dad had, simply because it's a 69 Electra.  Fairly low miles, ran beautifully, but rusted beyond worth repairing.  I think it met its demise in the early 1990's. 

It's amazing how many cars back then actually died from rust when the interior and mechanicals were great.  People would drive them in the salty winter without washing them frequently enough and it killed them.

A 73 Centurian coupe he had (<50k miles) and a 66 Galaxie sedan (<60k miles) met similar fates.

Sorry for hijacking your thread...just a short trip down memory lane.

There is no problem ;) , indeed it's a shame that a lot of car is finished at the car break  :( 
You are lucky to have climbed Electra 69, Centurion 73 and Galaxy 66 :) .  You have been in the right time, now in 2020 all the cars are plastic, automatic driving, electric, ... :( ,  that she sadness  :( 
I would love to be at your place at the time :) 
Last year I bought a second 69 Electra to save it :) , it is a very rare model in France, and when I saw that there was another one at 3h00  from home, I am  go looking for her :) , the one is in bad shape, she does not have her motor is been in a field since 1986  :( 
  • Like 2

Then I wanted to go up the drive shaft, but I could not :( I have a problem with my new jumpers (U-joint), they are not quite the same as the models of  origin and they do not plate entirely on the bearings of the "crosses" of the tree :( .
I will see to try to modify them and if not I will have to find other new riders.
So in the meantime I continue the wheel arches before. At the beginning of the work I took care of these wheel arches with sandblasting, sheet metal to redo, a phosphating primer and a light gray primer.
And now I continue with an anti-gravel application on the bottom of the wheel arches

SAM_8783.thumb.JPG.598a5d192ea930e2e8d46d3203793115.JPG

SAM_8784.thumb.JPG.7b61ec6228b25d0b5153ecaf3e8a2461.JPG

And Inside

SAM_8785.thumb.JPG.86c71de4bfb1c2edd83b8764232aa916.JPG

SAM_2456.thumb.JPG.0273c5df7b8f8e2d58f8779c267bd519.JPG

SAM_2457.thumb.JPG.da8ebf15ae79a88de8d40c89d05b02ec.JPG

Here I am, I should normally have news in the weeks for my drive shaft jumpers ( U-joint ) , and I should recover my front brake caliper rectifier at the same time.
I also need to check the tightness of the triangles and other elements before setting up the wheel arches (I would not have access to tight this once the wheel arches back).
Here is :) 
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hello, thank you  EmTee :) , but excuse me I had to be wrong name of the pieces.
In France we call this (in photo below) the "riders" of tree
And that's what I need.
I had to cut mine because they were very rusty, that's why they are shorter.
I found nine but it's not the right model :( 

SAM_2501.thumb.JPG.03f994f426e1e50e28e7e5369116ea5a.JPG

Here is the original one next to a nine

SAM_2503.thumb.JPG.92b017ecd0b613bde57745f853a96d32.JPG

we can see on this picture that the inside diameter of the original one is bigger than the new one

SAM_2506.thumb.JPG.858db362ac84ce977529ddba5c48645b.JPG

Will this one work?

s-l1600.jpg

Rear Drive Shaft Flange - U BOLT Set

Qty. 1 Set (of 2 Each) Rear Drive Shaft Flange - U-BOLT

GM Part# 1358938  Group# 5.586, 5.428  Genuine GM
Thread Size: 5/16"-18 X 1-3/8" *  1-13/32" Center-To-Center of Threaded Stud
GM Part# 2118319 Discontinued - Use GM Part# 1358938

GM Part# 3833020 Discontinued - Use GM Part# 1358938

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OLDSMOBILE-GMC-BUICK-DRIVE-SHAFT-PINION-GEAR-U-JOINT-FLANGE-BOLT-Set-2/293162489322?epid=2290655241&hash=item4441d895ea:g:sKUAAOSwkjta~ygm

• Thanks 1

It looks like your U-joint caps should be 1.125 inches (28.5 mm) in diameter.  If so, then these should fit:

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p506_38929_u_bolt_set_gm_3r_series_for_stock_early_buick_olds_pon.html

1533484779_38929U-BoltSetGM3RSeriesforst

Does your other Buick parts car have any that you can remove and recondition?  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

It looks like your U-joint caps should be 1.125 inches (28.5 mm) in diameter.  If so, then these should fit:

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p506_38929_u_bolt_set_gm_3r_series_for_stock_early_buick_olds_pon.html

1533484779_38929U-BoltSetGM3RSeriesforst

Does your other Buick parts car have any that you can remove and recondition?  

Once again, thank you very much for your help.
I just watch is as we can see in this picture, the original one is good 28 mm

SAM_2516.thumb.JPG.89ff6399443f4744b65f4bf303cfdda1.JPG

While the new ones are smaller, as we can see, they are only 25 mm

SAM_2517.thumb.JPG.d2140a2d1d89333fb2293b4b3ad48036.JPG

11 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:

I just found that on the manual, is that 1357255 is the reference ?

Yes, that's the General Motors part number.  If yours are 28mm, then the ones I found at the link below should fit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EmTee said:

Yes, that's the General Motors part number.  If yours are 28mm, then the ones I found at the link below should fit.

Okay thank you very much ! :) 
I will order this one, thank you very much :) 

5 hours ago, sebastienbuick said:
I wanted to order this piece, but on this website we can order only in America, I can not order in France : /
They offer the American state for delivery, but they do not offer France : /
is there another place to find this piece on the internet?

Maybe one of our US Buick brethren could order one for you and make arrangements to have it shipped to you?

I'd offer but being in Canada has it's issues with the exchange rate on the money and shipping is twice what it is in the US.

At least parts are still available for your car.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zipdang said:

Hello! I remember you helping me out with some Citroen information and parts, so I'd be glad to help you out from here if you need it.

Thank you very much zipdang ! :) , I do not want to bother you, but indeed I can not order this piece because I am in France :(
This is this piece :

And when I wanted to order this piece, they told me that I could not because I live in France :/  

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, here are some news from the Buick.
still waiting for my brake caliper, I continue on something else and this weekend I finished a step in the trunk.
To finish the preparations of the trunk before painting, I had to drill the floor at the level of my new crates that I had done. I had to squeeze all the crate except it's two of them.
so I pierced the new part of the floor that I had done to put his nut and make a "trap door"

SAM_2464.thumb.JPG.108286c71a28f46d28628350a2c20867.JPG

SAM_2474.thumb.JPG.b39364410e0ff3ab67cbf2f5431b930f.JPG

Then the new screws

SAM_2473.thumb.JPG.cce5315a5ca9ee012156278f6c2cc671.JPG