1966 Chevrolet Impala SS427 Convertible SURVIVOR! *SOLD*

*SOLD*

This car has been a long time coming. Many of you know that I'm a huge fan of untouched, original cars. My 1941 Cadillac 60S was the AACA HPOF Car of the Year in 2012, the biggest honor I've ever received. To me, originality matters more than almost anything else. So that's why this incredible 1966 Chevrolet Impala SS427 convertible took its time getting ready for market. It's a real-deal SS427 with its numbers-matching L36 427/390 engine, it's heavily documented with stuff like the original build sheet, and it's loaded with unusual options that the experts say shouldn't be possible, including power windows and quadraphonic sound. Oh, yeah, it's a factory triple black car and has just 28,464 original miles. Got your attention yet?

The car was taken out of circulation in 1980 and placed in storage, although it was unheated and unprotected from rodents, so there was a pretty big mess to clean up in the engine bay. It didn't look like much when it came out of the "barn" but a triple-black Impala SS427 is a worthy car regardless of what the end result was, so we started burning $100 bills to get it into shape. I'm very proud to say that's 100% original factory Tuxedo Black enamel on the bodywork, and it shines up brilliantly. No, it's not perfect, showing some very minor checking and micro-blistering, but it's extremely good and repainting it is inconceivable. Great gloss, no accident damage, and everything fits together just the way the factory did it. Of course, the car was used as a real car back in the 1960s and was sold new in Pittsburgh, PA, so there are two quarter-sized rust spots behind each rear wheel well. We opted to leave them alone rather than fix them because 1) it's cosmetic, not structural, and 2) if we fixed and painted the quarters, a buyer might wonder what else we covered up. No, better to leave it all in the open. And honestly, you won't even notice it until you go looking for it—I didn't notice the spot on the passenger's side until I'd had the car for a few weeks. But that's the deal.

Chrome is excellent. Grille is like new. Emblems are sparkling. Stainless looks great. No pitting, no dings.

The interior is likewise 100% original, including the carpets. To get it looking its best, everything came out, the carpets got pressure-washed and steam cleaned, then hung up to dry in the sun. They came out almost like new. Seats were cleaned and conditioned and the trim was polished up. Everything works, including the auxiliary gauges in the center console, the tach, all four power windows, and even the AM/FM stereo radio with "Quadraphonic Sound" that the "experts" say just wasn't available on convertibles. Why? Because the rear speakers interfere with the glass rear window of the convertible top, which is true. But this car comes with an original warning tag saying that the window must be unzipped and tucked under the speakers before the top is lowered. So there's that. Experts, eh?

Speaking of the top, it's new. The original was so brittle and old that the rear window was falling out of the curtain. We tried to replace just the window, but the top shop said there was nothing to connect it to, so everything was replaced. It fits beautifully, powers up and down without issues, and latches to the windshield easier than any other convertible I've ever experienced. There's a matching boot that I suspect is a reproduction, but I can't prove it and it was in the trunk since at least 1980. Who knows?

The trunk is spotless. The original mat couldn't be salvaged, but I believe that's the original spare and jack assembly.

The engine is the original, numbers-matching L36 427 cubic inch V8 making 390 horsepower. We know this because the stamping pad has a partial VIN (it matches) as well as a T1228IJR stamping which decodes as follows: T=Tonowanda assembly plant, 1228=December 28 assembly date, IJ=L36 427/390 engine, R=Rochester carburetor. It's the real deal. Yes, it's crusty, but we degreased, cleaned, scrubbed, and washed it so it's clean. We didn't repaint anything and didn't remove any rust or scale because where do you stop? This is about preservation, not restoration. Things like the belts, hoses, tune-up parts, and battery are new, and the radiator couldn't be saved, so there's a reproduction unit in there now. It also has interesting cables wrapped around the engine mounts and exhaust manifolds that were installed by the dealer according to a service bulletin (which is included with the car). Hell, it's not even much of a leaker!

It runs beautifully. I can stand next to the car, reach in, turn the key, and it starts almost instantly, even when it's cold. It settles into an even idle at about 1100 RPM, and a few seconds later, drops itself down to about 800 RPM. It's smooth, not racy like you'd expect from a 427, and torque is the name of the game. It's smooth, it's quiet, there are no squeaks or rattles, the doors latch closed without a slam, and it feels very tight.  THIS is why original cars are special—nothing else drives the same as a car that hasn't been taken apart.

The engine is linked to a TH400 3-speed automatic with fresh fluid and filter inside, and there are 3.36 gears on a Posi in the 12-bolt out back (new fluid there, too). The brakes are new from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders, but we rebuilt the original master rather than replace it, so it looks right. All the lines are stainless, including brake lines, fuel lines, and the new transmission cooler lines. There's a new gas tank out back for obvious reasons, and there's a fresh reproduction exhaust system that has just the right sound, not some goofball Flowmaster setup. Bushings in the suspension were selectively replaced, including the sway bar end links. It's crusty underneath, but there is zero rust-through on the floors or structural areas—this is a VERY solid car with no issues. It's now wearing a set of redline radials instead of the original whitewall bias-plys because I like the look. I don't care if it's correct, this sucker looks badass.

Documentation is extensive: very legible original build sheet, owner's manual, top manual, radio manual, period ads, accessory brochures, articles, service bulletins, and more.

This car gets everything right, which is why I was so excited to finally unveil it. It's been a long time coming (the first time I saw it was more than two years ago) but I'm incredibly proud of what it's become. Some light-duty guys will be scared off by the crusty engine bay and small rust spots, but for serious collectors who understand originality, those are easy sins to forgive. This car totally nails it. I haven't quite decided how much I want for it, but we'll probably list it for $64,900 but I'd talk to you if you were thinking mid-$50s. If I still have it in October, I'll bring it to Hershey and enter it in HPOF, but I'm betting it's gone by August.

Thanks for looking!

001.jpg 006.JPG014.JPG009.JPG 025.JPG 034.JPG

044.JPG038.JPG039.JPG045.JPG047.JPG049.JPG

051.JPG053a.jpg 057.JPG066.JPG072.JPG 081.JPG

079.JPG086.JPG085.JPG087.JPG088.jpg096.JPG

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Outstanding -- aside from detailing the engine compartment and replacing any safety-related suspension/brake components I wouldn't touch a thing!  How cars like this manage to languish undiscovered for so long amazes me, but fortunately they do from time to time.  I wish I had the space and funds to snap this one up...

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

Outstanding -- aside from detailing the engine compartment and replacing any safety-related suspension/brake components I wouldn't touch a thing!  How cars like this manage to languish undiscovered for so long amazes me, but fortunately they do from time to time.  I wish I had the space and funds to snap this one up...

Brakes and suspension have been serviced. Brakes are all new including lines, suspension parts replaced as needed. Runs and drives like a brand new car.

• 3 weeks later...

Great car Matt.

I'm going to be doing the same with this car that we have had for 20 years. Waiting to get paperwork on it. It's a 1968 GTX 440-375HP with a 4 speed and Dana 60 rears. All numbers match. Will start a new thread once we have paperwork.20140711_084043.jpg1968 GTX-RS23L8E145411 (3).jpg1968 GTX-RS23L8E145411 (7).jpg1968 GTX-RS23L8E145411 (12).jpg1968 GTX-RS23L8E145411 (6).jpg

• 3 months later...

Those "interesting cables wrapped around the exhaust manifolds and engine mounts" you mentioned were there because of a safety issue, to prevent the engine from torquing and jamming the accelerator, plus other issues.  GM apparently took the easy way out by just installing the cables, rather than biting the bullet and installing interlocking type motor mounts.  I believe this was the first safety recall mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.  The resulting letter from GM to owners was dated April, 1972.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

1 hour ago, Dave Henderson said:

Those "interesting cables wrapped around the exhaust manifolds and engine mounts" you mentioned were there because of a safety issue, to prevent the engine from torquing and jamming the accelerator, plus other issues.  GM apparently took the easy way out by just installing the cables, rather than biting the bullet and installing interlocking type motor mounts.  I believe this was the first safety recall mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.  The resulting letter from GM to owners was dated April, 1972.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

That recall was started in 65 with the 409 then the 396. then later to all the small blocks. My 09 under full power when power shifting at 6500 RPMs would break the driver side mount and the throttle would stick wide open and you had to shut the key off or push the clutch in to release the throttle. Fun times!!