64 Surf Green Riv on eBay

bodayguy

Guest Kaber

Very Nice, But.....Is the speaker grille supposed to have a "Stylized" R instead on the Riviera script on a 64? Nitpickey , I know, just curious.

Kaber

Guest Kaber
1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

The "Stylized" R is correct for 64 and 65.  This is a very nice looking car in a color that is seldom seen.  Most of the ones you see have a black interior so my guess is the white interior, which I prefer, makes this a very desirable car.  

That's what I thought, so this is an early 64 or has a 63 speaker grille.

K

Isn't the bottom of the hood supposed to be black instead of body color? Also, wonder where he got the trunk trim; I think I like it better than the brown houndstooth in my 65.

A super sharp car and a very nicely done restoration.  The seller omits the fairly high options on the car in the description (i.e. cruise, rear defrost, power antenna, deluxe interior etc).  

It has the super-wildcat valve covers and bracket for the AC, but not the super-wildcat air cleaner.  So I'm assuming the valve covers and bracket are not original.  

The walnut veneer on the console is what I imagine Tom Mooney has talked about regarding how dark the original inserts were, and how some of the re-pops being sold tend to be too light.  These look really sharp.  

Is the light blue 'GM' sticker on the door correct for '64?  For some reason I thought that came in slightly later (i.e. in the Gen 2 time frame).  

And if this is such a high restoration, why not finish the A/C? Everything else done. Right, wrong, like it, don't like it, but put all the A/C back together visually, then say A/C will need finishing. Summer is here, finish the A/C so the buyer can cruise when he gets the car. Just seems odd on this car...

OK Riviera People: At $1,800 we can sure overlook a few things and get heck-a-excited.  At 18 grand....it's just another routinely overpriced old car on the ebay.  I'm thinkin' the 18 large is a shill bid.

Why don't the sellers start at the bottom and let their cars legitimately work their way up rather than a bunch of greedy jerks? The market tells me what my stuff is worth in a reasonable period of time, not me telling the market.    Mitch

18k is expensive compared to what exactly? An un-restored car? I would have thought 18k is actually pretty cheap. It depends on how good the work is and how good it was to begin with of course but you'd spend at least half that just on parts. Add paint, chrome and everything else and you'd be close to 30k not even including the original cost of the car.

Edited by Mozzie (see edit history)

Most Sanden compressors that I've seen have not had a rear bracket attaching them to the engine.  They're small and lightweight enough that they can just be mounted to the ears used for the front of the OE A6 bracket.

Here's a picture of a complete bracket for a '63 - 66 RIviera that is built by Alan Grove, it has no provisions for a rear compressor bracket.

315R.jpg