Commercial Truckers to Haul Engine Block and Transmission?

32Pontiac6

I am purchasing an engine and transmission for a 30's Pontiac in another state and wonder what options there are for having the parts commercially trucked to my home.  I want to compare this option to me paying for the gas and spending two nights on the road.  Are there commercial trucking companies that will do this job?

I hear about Fastenal a lot but I've never used them myself. We have a warehouse where I work and I've shipped out of there a few times. The issue you will have with a commercial LTL ( less than truckload) carrier is that they prefer a loading dock at both ends of the shipment otherwise you end up paying a "lift gate fee" which adds to the cost if the shipper does it at all. That means you need to have a place to deliver it to that has a loading dock or pick it up at the closest freight terminal of the shipping company as well.

All that being said, it cost me $85 to ship an engine & transmission recently without any lift gate fees.

Chuck

I've had very good results with Fastenal.  By far the least expensive option.  The parts need to be strapped to a pallet and dropped off at their location.  Shipping is on a space-available basis, so don't be in a hurry.

Sure, once you strap it to a pallet and cover it with that clear plastic wrap it is just freight.

And that is how Fastenal (or any shipping company) will want it.

You go to your local store and ask and leave your phone number then a guy will call you a few days later to make the arrangements.