Tools you really need

On March 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM, old-tank said:

Harbor Freight...buy 2 of each.;)

Took your advice Willie and bought two of these. I considered just buying one set and placing them diagonally and letting the car teeter while moving it but splurged and bought two sets, what the heck it's only money! 

Seriously, these are pretty nice and love the handles. They come in handy for moving all sorts of things from welding tables to big iron pipe or whatever. 

http://t.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Pittsburgh® Automotive 67338 2 Piece  Capacity Vehicle Wheel Dollies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Not familiar with that one, can you describe its use?

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I once had one. Not sure where it went.

Ben

You didn't leave it here, wouldn't have minded if you had though. Sure could use some straight-eight knowledge these days...

• Like 2

Mr. Earl and all others who bought the HFT car dollies in post #84. Beware and aware when using them. I had a set under a '65 Wildcat parts car that I had to turn 180 degrees on a cement driveway. While doing so the stems on ten of the castors bent where they went through the platforms. I did manage to get the car re-positioned where it needed to be. Once I looked at the damage I replaced the ten castors with the four bolt flange type of the same size after straightening the corners of the platforms. Fortunately none of the dollies went completely to ground but in my opinion the choice of this type of castor for this use was not well thought out. Perhaps the dolly maker should have adopted the Buick montra of "When better Dollies Are Built, ???? Will Build Them" Just for the good of the cause.........  Mark   

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip Mark.   I have the dollies under the rear of my 54.  I drive my 54 into the garage and get the nose as close to the wall as possible.  Then put the rear on the dollies and push to the wall. Then just pull from the wall and take off the dollies.  Back out.    Worked out well.  

I purchased:

Pentagon Tools 5061 Tire Skates 2 Tire Wheel Car Dolly Ball Bearings Skate, 12" (Pack of 2) Rated at 6000lbs.

71ZabEoDEXL._SX342_.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Mark Simmons said:

Mr. Earl and all others who bought the HFT car dollies in post #84. Beware and aware when using them. I had a set under a '65 Wildcat parts car that I had to turn 180 degrees on a cement driveway. While doing so the stems on ten of the castors bent where they went through the platforms. I did manage to get the car re-positioned where it needed to be. Once I looked at the damage I replaced the ten castors with the four bolt flange type of the same size after straightening the corners of the platforms. Fortunately none of the dollies went completely to ground but in my opinion the choice of this type of castor for this use was not well thought out. Perhaps the dolly maker should have adopted the Buick montra of "When better Dollies Are Built, ???? Will Build Them" Just for the good of the cause.........  Mark   

Wow Mark, thanks for the heads up, I'll be extra observant next time I move the '54  that's on them now?

Last night every seven minutes a blonde woman with a loud overpowering voice came on TV and said "If you or a relative has ever purchased or seen a pair of Harbor Freight dollys, you may be entitled to a large settlement from Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe!

It was a refreshing change from the pelvic mesh legal suit. Actually the mesh is selling cheap now and great for those spring household repairs like repairing screens. The legal suit may cover faulty screen repairs, as well.

Bernie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased this item. The reason being difficulty lubing the tie rod/ball joints etc.   Holding the nipple on the zerk plus attempting to hold the pump and pump the lube just does not go well when laying under the Buick.  Furthermore, the lube was just not getting into the tie rods and ball joints.   This tool holds secure to the zerk and the lube definitely gets to the parts that require lube and not all over the outside dropping globs on the floor. LockNLube!   Worth every penny.

Grease_Coupler_IsometricLocked_700px.png   

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I just purchased this item. The reason being difficulty lubing the tie rod/ball joints etc.   Holding the nipple on the zerk plus attempting to hold the pump and pump the lube just does not go well when laying under the Buick.  Furthermore, the lube was just not getting into the tie rods and ball joints.   This tool holds secure to the zerk and the lube definitely gets to the parts that require lube and not all over the outside dropping globs on the floor. LockNLube!   Worth every penny.

I like that! Where did you get that?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 9:06 AM, avgwarhawk said:

I ordered one and it arrived a couple of days ago. Did the lube job yesterday - what a great improvement!  Thanks for sharing with us.

John V.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

So I can throw away my toaster?

I have owned one of these testers for years, but it does not always reveal the whole story.

Dale in Indy 

We have a fancy dancy electronic one and it missed a bad connection between the plates. Sometimes I use both. But the new one won’t make muffins!

• 3 years later...
On 6/12/2016 at 8:40 PM, Mudbone said:

Here is my contribution

Mud bone, I could use these probably 3 times a week. I restore 63/64 turbine wheelcovers for the zRiviera. Many of the studs are broken in the stud mounts. I could use these when I use helicoil for sure.

There is a carpenters tool used to center the drill bit over a broken stud down in the hole. Carpenters use the tool to center holes when drillling to set door hinges in a door frame.

Turbinator

On 12/8/2020 at 4:10 AM, Turbinator said:

There is a carpenters tool used to center the drill bit over a broken stud down in the hole. Carpenters use the tool to center holes when drillling to set door hinges in a door frame.

Hey Bob, I'd sure like to see a picture of that when you get a chance!  ;)

27 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Hey Bob, I'd sure like to see a picture of that when you get a chance!  ;)

Will do! The tool does work. Additionally, I got an affordable Craftsman drill press that has laser cross hairs that center your drill on target. It works too, but the drill bit have a tendency to walk. 
Since I’ll be in the carriage house tomorrow I’ll take a pic of the tool and shoot it back.

Turbinator

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, EmTee said:

Bob, I'd sure like to see a picture of that when you get a chance!  ;)

EmTee, here they are. The guide is stationary. The drill bit is spring loaded in the guide.,push the drill motor down and the bit stays on target. Manufacturer is Snappy

Turbinator 

83C503EB-1F5D-4D45-83E8-942B91033EFB.jpeg

F6566357-E312-4A39-B62D-5CA6527A24C4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Turbinator said:

You can put in your own left handed drill bit. When your drill bit needs sharpening you change drill bits.

Turbinator

EmTee, probably no surprise to you but heat from acetylene torch does wonders. Fishing a broken steel stud from the turbines is doable with practice and luck. Sometimes the stud mount must be replaced.

9F8E119A-213C-40B1-960B-508703DCD97A.thumb.jpeg.7ab3fd1790b542504932297fa7dbb5e3.jpeg

• Like 1

Don't know how old this one is - older friend gave it to me a number of years ago.  Works fine and really helps when tuning up the '39 Buick. The owners manual was falling apart, so I copied what was left by piecing the parts together - only a few gaps in places that don't matter.

IMG_1372.thumb.JPG.a1bf4426f8a61b697d7d128c44bde74c.JPG

IMG_1373.thumb.JPG.e2e3c0607e0f9fd01bf17698b3872350.JPG

Edited by jvelde (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Gents, does anyone have an opinion on quality of hand tools tied to a brand name?

Im equal opportunity purchaser of tools. Most of my tools are inexpensive and a precious few are used what I think  are quality product.

To me it seems the JH Williams Company makes good tools in the USA. I also understand JH Williams imports some their tools.

I like good tools, but holy smokes some of these hand tools can cost a lot.

Bob Burnopp 

I look at the warranty on tools . I used to buy Craftsman because of this but now there is not as many Sears stores available . Lately I have bought  Harbor freight because  at my age they don't have to last that long anymore. 

Kevin

1 hour ago, kegart said:

I look at the warranty on tools . I used to buy Craftsman because of this but now there is not as many Sears stores available . Lately I have bought  Harbor freight because  at my age they don't have to last that long anymore. 

Kevin

You can exchange Craftsman tools at Ace or Aco hardware stores. At least I have exchanges some broken screwdrivers there.  I believe that Lowe's also covers the guarantee.

• Like 1