Rick Fraser

1910 model AA

Rick

I know you are going to find this amusing, but last night was our coldest night so far this winter, 44degF. We enjoy clear, cloudless skies during the day up to 72degF. Our winters are dry and cool and our summers are wet and hot. Winter in the north is our premier rallying weather, but not so for down south.

Adjusting the low and reverse bands.
In my experience, the difference between slipping and not is about one eighth of a turn. So with the square headed adjustment bolt, that change is easy to gauge, just move a corner to midway to the next corner. That adjustment doesn't make a difference in selecting the neutral position. The tighter the bands the more play you have in neutral.

Good work on the fuel shut off.

Frank Cerutti
1909 LD9024
Townsville, Australia

Hi Frank, that sounds like you have pretty nice weather, cool and dry is perfect for old car enjoyment.

I made the adjustment as you described, worked perfect.

Here are the pictures of the serial number. 6821. What can you tell? Can the production date be estimated?

Maxwell serial.JPG

Maxwell serial2.JPG

Rick

Thanks for the photos.

I'm glad the brake band adjustment was successful.

I reckon that the custodian of the Registry will have the span of serial numbers of the existing cars and an idea of the model starting number. The next fact to determine is when the model year started.

Any takers?

Frank Cerutti 

1909 LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

Edited by Frank Cerutti (see edit history)

Hi guys. I've been tinkering with the carb and have it running pretty good. Today I checked the plugs and found one was a bit weak. Switched their positions and same. Looking for new ones now. Mine are AC FF.  DO you know where to get replacements? 

20170826_142956.jpg

On 11/11/2016 at 6:25 AM, Rick Fraser said:

Hi guys, sorry for the long delay in replying, I got tied up with some things I've been neglecting.

I've decided to leave the vibration issue for now until it gets worse or I end up doing other engine work.

I have a new question; I am considering to put the car in a local Santa Claus parade, do you guys have any suggestions about cooling? I was in the parade last two years with another old car and she heated up by the end. I have a 6 volt fan from that car I could fix to the rad of the Maxwell, would you agree with using that? The parade is about an hour long at about a walking pace.

Here's a couple of more pictures,

Thanks, Rick.

mms_20160611_105017.jpg

mms_20160611_104955.jpg

mms_20160611_105005.jpg

Rick

The Champion X as commonly fitted to the Ford T will fit. Likely cheaper due to volume. The mixture looks to be lean, although you may have cleaned the plug

Frank

Maxwell 1909 LD9024

Townsville, Australia

Thanks Frank, I got the Champion X plugs and put them in. The plugs come at .025" and my manual says 1/32 to 1/16. What gap do you run? I'm running the .025" now.

On another topic, Iv'e had the carb apart because the car doesn't run well under load. It's fine for starting and idling and restarts fine when hot and even revs up well, but driving is a different story. As far as I can tell there is only a mixture screw adjustment and I've fiddled with that quite alot.It seems to run best at a little over 1/4 turn from close.  Do you have any suggestions? The carb is clean and I can't detect any unusual wear.

Thanks, Rick.

Maxwell Carb 3.JPG

Maxwell Carb. 1.JPG

Maxwell Carb. 2.JPG

Hello, Rick

We are on some Veteran tours at present, and I am away from my photo file. However your photos show that the air inlet valve (the lower cylinder) looks right, but the mixture delivery cylinder (the upper) cylinder is not in the right position for running. The upper cylinder has a square boss which engages with the square hole in the throttle control lever. There are 4 possible positions for engagement, and only 1 is right. So in words: engage the upper cylinder with the throttle arm fully forward against the stop. From the driving position, the forward direction is at 12o'clock, the arm is at about 2:00o'clock. In this position, the mixture delivery cylinder should be just open, and so when the gas pedal is pushed down, the cylinder is pulled open clockwise. The air inlet valve should be more open than the mixture valve and is set by the quadrant and screw on top of the carburettor.

There is an excellent technical explanation by Tim  Simonsma in the Maxwell-Briscoe Yahoo forum, but this relies on the valves being correctly orientated.

good luck

Frank Cerutti 

1909 LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

Rick

I set the Maxwell plug gap to 0.025inch.

Regarding the carby setting procedure, look in the Yahoo Maxwell-Briscoe forum for "Files" and then "carburettor adjustment".

Frank Cerutti

1900 LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

Frank thanks for this information.

I understand your description of the set up for the mixture delivery cylinder but you lost me at the air inlet valve. How much further should the air inlet be open over the mixture delivery cylinder?

Rick.

Hi guys. I've been tinkering with the carb and have it running pretty good. Today I checked the plugs and found one was a bit weak. Switched their positions and same. Looking for new ones now. Mine are AC FF.  DO you know where to get replacements? 

20171004_192039.jpg

Rick

The latest photo of the carburettor looks better.

Regarding spark plugs, we have had the conversation about Champion X.

Frank  Cerutti

1909 LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

Is someone still making the New Splitdorf coil box?  Like the one posted above.  And if so, who?

Mark