1910 model AA

Rick Fraser

Thanks Frank, I got the Champion X plugs and put them in. The plugs come at .025" and my manual says 1/32 to 1/16. What gap do you run? I'm running the .025" now.

On another topic, Iv'e had the carb apart because the car doesn't run well under load. It's fine for starting and idling and restarts fine when hot and even revs up well, but driving is a different story. As far as I can tell there is only a mixture screw adjustment and I've fiddled with that quite alot.It seems to run best at a little over 1/4 turn from close.  Do you have any suggestions? The carb is clean and I can't detect any unusual wear.

Thanks, Rick.

Maxwell Carb 3.JPG

Maxwell Carb. 1.JPG

Maxwell Carb. 2.JPG

Hello, Rick

We are on some Veteran tours at present, and I am away from my photo file. However your photos show that the air inlet valve (the lower cylinder) looks right, but the mixture delivery cylinder (the upper) cylinder is not in the right position for running. The upper cylinder has a square boss which engages with the square hole in the throttle control lever. There are 4 possible positions for engagement, and only 1 is right. So in words: engage the upper cylinder with the throttle arm fully forward against the stop. From the driving position, the forward direction is at 12o'clock, the arm is at about 2:00o'clock. In this position, the mixture delivery cylinder should be just open, and so when the gas pedal is pushed down, the cylinder is pulled open clockwise. The air inlet valve should be more open than the mixture valve and is set by the quadrant and screw on top of the carburettor.

There is an excellent technical explanation by Tim  Simonsma in the Maxwell-Briscoe Yahoo forum, but this relies on the valves being correctly orientated.

good luck

Frank Cerutti 

1909 LD9024

Townsville, Australia 

• 2 years later...