Sign in to follow this  
Frantz

I need things to see in Kenosha

I've traveling for work next week to Wisconsin. Company offered to fly me, but I wanted to take the chance and hit up two cities on my list. South Bend and Kenosha. Obviously going to the Studebaker shop but Kenosha does not seem to have nearly as much for Rambler/AMC, which is a darn shame, especially since I've owned more AMCs than any other brand in my life. Anyone know places to at least go and take in? Like is the plant address worth checking out? I believe headquarters is still standing. What would you do if traveling to Kenosha for a day with a desire for automotive history?

The Kenosha History Center has a small display of AMC products and is worth seeing. One AMC club member usually has some more unusual and concept cars on display there, but not sure if those are taken out for summer for shows and driving, but they will still have some cars there. Not sure if there would be any left, but we donated leftover Christmas ornaments from the Professional Car Society Milwaukee meet to the gift shop. They were a brass ornament featuring a 1969 (maybe '70) AMC Ambassador limousine.

Somewhere close to there is also the trolley. It is a 1950's era trolley car that makes a small loop around the area with stops where you can get off and on. It doesn't stop anywhere exciting, but it is cool to just ride it around a few loops for something like $1.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Frantz, 

I'm not aware that anything remains of the AMC complex in Kenosha. It's the blank rectangular void on the Lake in this image,

but they are building residences there now. 

Kenosha AMC Plant Now.jpg

Follow Linc400's advice about the History Center, it's the only thing i saw the last time I was in K-Town (went to high school in Kenosha).

The streetcar is one of the old types from the end of that era, and should be fun.

Kenosha Streetcar.jpg

I believe the AMC headquarters you're talking about is the one on Plymouth Road in Detroit.

There are a handful of pictures of Kenosha here, but many have lapsed...it's where these two photos came from,

but not much help otherwise.

http://www.bradford78.com/class_custom2.cfm

For a memorable meal, go to the legendary Brat Stop (that's Brat as in Bratwurst). 

http://www.bratstop.com/aboutus.asp

Enjoy,

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Frantz,

I can't offer any advise that hasn't already been given ... except ... depending on your road trip route (sounds like you are driving from PA to WI?), give yourself plenty of time to get through Chicago!  Depending on your timing through there, it can be a ... nightmare.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"I'm not afraid things won't get better, but it feels like this has gone on forever" __ Toad The Wet Sprocket __ 'Good Intentions'

Go to the corner of 24th avenue and 56th street. There you will find a historic plaque that designates the original site of the Jeffery, Nash, AMC, Chrysler plant. Across the railroad tracks is/was the original home of Jockey International (think underwear). Also check out the southeast  corner of 30th avenue and 52nd street. The address of the plant during it's last days was 5555 30th avenue.  The large building just east of the Shell station on about 28th street and 30th ave was also part of the AMC complex with an assembly line bridge from the south crossing 30th avenue. AMC also occupied an old Simmons mattress factory on the lakefront near the museum.   Don't go there at night.

Edited by Larry W
More info (see edit history)

It's a shame Kenosha hasn't done more! Did AMC's passing leave a bad taste in the city? I don't recall every reading about the relationship between Kenosha and AMC.

• Like 1

I was at Great Lakes Navy Boot Camp in 1967 when AMC was still in business. I went up there with one of the guys to check things out. It was dead then. And, after getting supper, we found out the last Chicago Northwestern left at 6 PM, no trains until 6AM! I think we walked back to North Chicago.

Southbend, now, there's a Mad Max, after the bomb movie set. I think there is one motel out on the far side of the airport. Some of the Studebaker plant is still standing with about 10% of the glass left. I have a repopped Willard Battery sign that I bought at Newman & Altman hanging in the garage to remind me of that trip.

Flying at night is actually more impressive. From Detroit to Milwaukee, there can't be a single light bulb turned off, no kidding.

I thought a lot about AMERICAN motors failing during the auto makers bail out when GM/Toyota, Chrysler/Benz/Mitsubishi, and Ford/Mazda got help. Must have been tough on the Romney family too.

Bernie

I mean, Ford sold most of Mazda before any of the government loan programs, and didn't take bail out money, just wanted to have it lined up in case things got worse. I give props to the Ford family for having enough pride left to do anything they could to avoid losing the company to become just another stock holder controlled mega firm.

I say a little thank you to the Ford family every time I check out my admittedly limited stock portfolio. Buying a bucket full of Ford stock at $1.76/share a few years ago was one of the betterbets I ever made.

Well the waterfront was really nice. Lots of dead little fish which I'm unsure what that was all about. It did seem the museum ignored most post Nash auto history. They had an American bit very few AMC references made. Seemed odd. The South Bend Stude museum was awesome and there is a local guy renovation the old plant for office space etc. He did the train station prior and it looks nice and not overly modernized. 

• Like 1

The dead fish are known as ALEWIVES.  It's a Lake Michigan thing.

• Like 1