misc restoration projects, interior, 67 Riv

rocky5517

The seats (vinyl) needed work, but when I took them to the upholsterer he took out a crayon and started to mark up the different "panels" that needed replacement. I thought it was all one piece, but I was wrong. He kept as many panels original as he could. For another $100 he sprayed the seat backs. Made a big difference.

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

• Like 1

Your seats looks great! =) 

This is something I've seen on TV one of the last days (was a restoration of a very old Porche)... They have cut the seams, and only the lateral panels provided with new leather. Old leather was refurbished with some special and colored grease they massaged in by hand. No difference between old and new at the end! That was very interesting (and a lot cheeper :P) !

have fun with you new seats! 

Mine are remade completely by new ones and in one peace... made by SMS Auto Fabrics (A very well done job!)

13403754_10208113450567440_9033790368072782781_o.jpg 13416748_10208113449047402_4560583640085937655_o.jpg13403794_10208113451527464_7790243627212566393_o.jpg13350376_10208114408871397_9140473416666082323_o.jpg

Edited by Schmiddy
added pics (see edit history)

7 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

The seats (vinyl) needed work, but when I took them to the upholsterer he took out a crayon and started to mark up the different "panels" that needed replacement. I thought it was all one piece, but I was wrong. He kept as many panels original as he could. For another $100 he sprayed the seat backs. Made a big difference.

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

Rocky,

Your trimmer did a nice job of replicating the pleats in your seat inserts. Many trimmers sew the pleats flat and it really makes the seats look "generic" and takes away from the look. Seats look nice!

Tom

19 hours ago, rocky5517 said:

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

Awesome!

I've seen this process done before on Wheeler Dealers (Mike Brewer and Edd China).

Just replace the panels that need replacing, and paint to color match.

Put some high quality leather conditioner on all of it, and it becomes new again.

This video below is similar. I couldn't find the exact one I was thinking of.

2 hours ago, CheezeMan said:

Awesome!

I've seen this process done before on Wheeler Dealers (Mike Brewer and Edd China).

Just replace the panels that need replacing, and paint to color match.

Put some high quality leather conditioner on all of it, and it becomes new again.

This video below is similar. I couldn't find the exact one I was thinking of.

I did this same thing with the interior in my '70 Skylark.  It took three different grain patterns, one for the sides of the seats, one for the inserts, and one for the backs.  I got all three from SMS.  NOS - perfect match.  As a matter of fact, I still have some of each of the three left.  If anyone needs to do a patch here or there on a '70 era car with dark green interior, let me know.

The best leather restorer that I've found is a product called Leatherique. Here's a link to their website.  Take some time and look through it and look at a couple of the videos and the instructions.  It' not a wham-bam thank you Ma'am process, but it gives excellent results if you take your time and don't try to short cut anything.

http://www.leatherique.com/

Ed