Need help setting a For Sale price

Guest Shadowkeeper

Guest Shadowkeeper

Twenty-five years ago my mom bought my dad a "project car" and had it trucked in from a nearby rural area.  Dad really didn't want a project, so it has been sitting next to the house mostly covered by a tarp.  Now dad is in his 80's and fighting cancer and wants to find a "deserving home" for his "project car" before he passes.  So, it falls to me to find it a good home and to do this I need to figure a fair price to ask.  Unfortunately I am about clueless on how much a 1951 Olds Sedan is worth.  At least that is what I have been told it is. I have also been told that all the original parts are here.  Seems mom bought it from a guy who was interested in restoring it and failed to so within his wife's time-frame.

I will post some general pictures and would be most grateful with any assistance in determining a value.  I realize that setting a value is tricky, somewhere between $500 and $10K is a reasonable range, depending on how much someone wants to pay for it.  That is where I am hoping your experience will come in.

Much Thanks.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Well, $500 isn't far off.

If mom had picked a 2-door Cadillac convertible or a '57 Chevy, you'd have something to sell.

Likewise, if you had a running, driving car you'd have something to sell.

4-door sedans just don't generate much excitement.

Somewhere, somebody would pay you more... but panning for gold in the desert might be more rewarding.

Tell Dad you found a father-son team that really wants a project and he'll have some peace.

Looking at a price guide, I see that $2500 seems appropriate.

I presume the car has no rust-through, or very, very

minimal rust-through, so the car would be salable.

Surface rust doesn't pose a problem, but a sedan with noticeable rust holes

would probably be used only for parts for another car.

Maybe ask $2900 and be prepared to come down to $2500--maybe to less.

Because it costs so much to restore a car, most people choose

the "sportier" body styles, such as convertibles and 2-door hardtops.

It's a shame, but it's the current thinking within the hobby.

Your high-end figure of $10,000 is, sorry to say, nowhere near

appropriate.  There was a similar black Olds sedan, though a 1954,

on this forum recently that was running, driving, and very nice looking--

fine for car shows, though not showroom perfect, in that $10,000 range.

But your car is worth well above $500.

All the best to you on your sale!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I would think the value is much closer to 1000. This convertible only brought 2400 and realistically wasn't a whole lot different other than the motor in it is probably shot.  Hopefully yours isn't.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Oldsmobile-Eighty-Eight-super-deluxe-/262393930245?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3d17e5a205%3Ag%3AOzsAAOSwv~xXDa3b&item=262393930245&nma=true&si=ZoonRucER4GjIRink68wHFgnb%2FM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This running driving sedan only brought 2000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oldsmobile-Eighty-Eight-/162030505791?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25b9c54f3f:g:ttAAAOSwJQdXBYhX&item=162030505791

Oldsmobiles except coupes convertibles or unique wagons just seem to have a really weak following in most years and the early 50's don't seem to be real hot for many makes,  not just Oldsmobile.  Mopars of that vintage really lack a following as well. Even 52-53 Fords languish behind the 51 and back or 55 and newer models. 

as a sucker buyer for such cars I'd say $1500 but realistically take the first $1000 that walks through the door. You're selling a dream, not a car. Nothing wrong with that. I love dreams! You guys have title right? If no title then $500, my imagination runs out quick without a title.

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)

And, Miss or Mr. Shadowkeeper, be sure to look only at

SELLING prices, never ASKING prices.  Despite a market

that is not especially strong, some sellers ask up to DOUBLE

a car's worth--perhaps through ignorance, optimism, bad advice, profiteering,

or simply greed.  Ebay is a good place to see prices that were actually realized.

Buy a length of clothesline before advertising the car. If you get an offer tie the buyer in a chair with the clothesline until they pay or someone comes with the money. Use the cotton woven clothesline the plastic stuff can irritate them and they won't leave as a friend.

I talked my Dad into buying a 1960 Thunderbird project car shortly before he died in 1977. I sold the car foe enough money to buy a good Sears floor jack that I used for years. It was a fitting memorial because he regularly warned about jacking a car up properly. And much more practical than a headstone or something like that.

Bernie

• Like 1

I hope you find a good home for the car. From the photos, I see that the radiator and the fan assembly appears to be missing. Hopefully they are located in the car somewhere. It appears that someone started to pull the motor at some time in the past. That makes me suspect (in addition to the fact that it has been sitting so long) that the motor is going to have to be rebuilt. I would say the car is best valued as a parts car. Looking at a price guide it would appear to be worth about $1000 or so. If you find someone nearby with a similar car who needs some parts that this car has, you may get near that amount. There is no way anybody can pay anything at all for that car in the condition and restore it for less money than it will be worth after being restored. Hopefully you will find a buyer who needs it but I don't expect it will bring much more than about $500 unless you happen to find the right guy who needs a parts car to finish a restoration and who wants a visor for his car. Good luck.

I am sorry to hear of your fathers diagnosis.  I wish you and him well.  It does seem that your car is most likely a parts car or a very ambitious restoration.  If you sell it as a parts car think of how it will help someone else achieve their dream and how your car contributed to making it happen.

Terry

$1000 was the gut-feeling number I had too, and that assumes the floors are in decent condition.  Sorry to give you bad news and I am sure it will be a disappointment to all concerned, but as the guys said regretfully an Olds 4dr is not a hot item, good luck, Todd C   

I got a bit more love for the old girl. If it's solid, and it seems pretty rust free, I say clean it, sand down, blow a coat of primer on it, some Mexican blankets on the seats, if the engine is locked, stick in a 350/350 and go cruisin'. Shame about the busted grille, the chrome seems to be pretty nice

I agree with the 500. assessment of your car. I also agree that it would be worth pulling the visor and selling it separately for 300. with all of the brackets.

Finally, if your buyer needs a title, have them here for your car for 99. bucks

dont spend too much time on the car and as said, let your Dad know that it went to a good home.

Good luck to you!

Jokes about tying people up, well, we'll say it's a joke, aside. You can get some money out of that car if you spend a little time making it as presentable as possible. Take the air cleaner off the seat. Either set extra parts aside or arrange them in the trunk. The paint is obviously bad but Harley Earl knew shine sells. I have sold worse cars by wiping them down with a rag dampened with kerosene. The black paint will shine, gently wipe the dash, steering wheel, and chrome knobs. If the tires won't hold air put some wooden blocks under the a frames to make it sit right. I would take an hour and the "expert" guys would scoff at what you were doing. When I mention I do stuff like that they make faces. Then we leave a restaurant and the credit card machine is broke.... I'm the only one with cash and I get stuck with the bill.

If they offer less than your asking price always take something in exchange, like the visor or hubcaps, anything to keep it from looking like you made a charitable donation. That can actually be fun on a better car. There are certain socio-ethnic groups that have a genetic NEED to have a price reduced. Learn to profile them for sport. Some are not allowed at the annual picnic if they paid asking price for anything during the year!

Don't over estimate or under estimate your buyer. And don't make his decision for him. "Oh, he won't care about this." or "He won't want this." usurps his right to spend his money. Just make every effort to let him spend. Then if he's a little short of cash tie him in the chair until someone comes. Your Dad will love the story.

Bernie

• Like 1