2016 Grand National - Williamsport

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Hey Tommy,

I am pretty sure you are going to be going through the mountains, really no easy way (direct way) for you to get there. Just watch out for deer!

See you Saturday

Thanks John, kinda what I figured

3 hours ago, real61ss said:

Question for anyone familiar with the Williamsport area, what is Rte. 15 like through Pa.? is it 4 lane? crossing mountains? I don't think I have ever been to this section of Pa.

Thanks in advance for your response

Rt #15 from Harrisburg North follows the river and is flat, mix of divided and not, but not too congested except for a few miles South of Rt 80. If you are trailering I strongly recommend that you take Rt 80 East for one exit to Rt 180 North. Rt 15 North of 80 is mountains and lights. Rt 180 is newish, dead flat, 4 lane that goes directly to Maynard Street exit..................Bob

30 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Rt #15 from Harrisburg North follows the river and is flat, mix of divided and not, but not too congested except for a few miles South of Rt 80. If you are trailering I strongly recommend that you take Rt 80 East for one exit to Rt 180 North. Rt 15 North of 80 is mountains and lights. Rt 180 is newish, dead flat, 4 lane that goes directly to Maynard Street exit..................Bob

Thanks, I will do that. What about Rte 15 south of 80? How is it? I'm coming from Richmond, Va, looking at the map there just doesn't look like a good way to get there. I was thinking of taking Rte 15 all the way from Warrenton, Va to Williamsport,  maybe not. The alternative route would I 81 to 80 then head west to 180 but it is much further.

Edited by real61ss (see edit history)

2 hours ago, real61ss said:

Thanks, I will do that. What about Rte 15 south of 80? How is it? I'm coming from Richmond, Va, looking at the map there just doesn't look like a good way to get there. I was thinking of taking Rte 15 all the way from Warrenton, Va to Williamsport,  maybe not. The alternative route would I 81 to 80 then head west to 180 but it is much further.

If you have not already done so please read my post earlier in this thread Regarding the closure of a section of RT 15 in the Harrisburg area. Here is a link to the 11/15 Road Construction site:  Route 11/15 Road Construction.

Here is a link to the road project site that shows the detour route current travel times:  Route 11/15 Current Detour Travel times

This road closure means you will have to use the Detour Route onto U.S. 22/322 on the East side of the river. Because of this road closure and detour, U.S. 22/322 is handling TWICE the amount of traffic it normally would which can result in slowdowns especially during morning and evening rush hour in the Harrisburg area. If there is an accident on U.S. 22/322 the wait could be VERY LONG. You might consider an alternate route to avoid the closed area of RT 11/15 and the detour route of US 22/322.

Edited by charlier
update links in post (see edit history)

Twer it me I would do 95 to 17 to 81 to 15 to 80 to 180. I've done it dozens of times and it's the best route. The snake in the wood pile would be the 15 closure and detour to 322. It's only a few miles further but could be congested during AM and PM rush hour. As of right now (300PM) PADOT says it's a 15 minute additional travel time. Again, if it were me and I could hit the detour between 1000 and 1400 I"d chance it. There really is no other good route................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, real61ss said:

Thanks

If you get a chance stop by and let me know how you made out. I think you'll be fine if you avoid rush hour. I'll have my 56 Chrysler St. Regis. Black/red/white...............Bob

Trailer parking is in various parking lots on campus towards the dorms at the one end of the campus. Many of the parking lots have small islands in them containing trees, etc so you need to navigate carefully. The trailer parking lots are laid out to maximize the space used while still being able to get the vehicles out of the trailer on show day. Be advised that there appear to be a LOT of trailers here as of now with more coming no doubt. With you arriving so late there will probably not be any region members around to help you park. Give some thought before parking so that you do not block any isles or areas in the lot left open for trailer traffic flow. Do not be surprised if campus security does not stop you when you arrive given your late arrival time. The show field appears to be near the middle of the campus scattered around a number of the buildings on some grassy areas. There are signs posted for the classes. Be advised that the classes are NOT LAID OUT in numerical order. They appear to be laid out to maximize the space used. The walk from the trailer parking to the area where the show field is a walk that takes a few minutes. FYI, the food in the Keystone Dining Room (located in the LEC) is in the show field area and is good and VERY reasonably priced. This dining hall is open from 7:30 am to 3 PM serving breakfast & lunch. My class will be parked right outside that building so I know where I will be having breakfast & lunch tomorrow.

I do know that if you are staying in campus housing or people with RVs there will be a bus to take people from campus to the banquet and bring them back. You will need a ticket for that (tickets are free). I am not sure what is being done for people not staying on campus and/or using an RV.

FYI, registration is from 6 am to 10 am  Saturday morning with judging start at 10 am. With 645 cars entered I would not wait until the last minute to get your vehicle parked on the show field.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Charlie,

thankyou for the very detailed response, it is greatly appreciated... I will most likely just park my truck and trailer in the hotel lot tonight then drive over in the am... That may be a good idea to just get breakfast at the institutes dining hall Saturday morning.. That will save time going somewhere's else to eat then having to unload / register... 

I am sure there are many in my boat (truck & trailer) that are not staying on site and wondering about the banquet parking accommodations. 

Again thanks this helps in the planning

Mitch

Edited by Mitch's auto srvc ctr (see edit history)

My buddy and I drove down today to check out the route. I never saw so many trailers in one place. My only worry was the class spaces on the show field. They seem awfully small for the amount of cars expected. I think they will end up parking cars one on top of another. They accepted an additional 200 cars after the registration expiration date. We will be on grass but I didn't see any mud. We picked up our packets, pigged out on cookies and coffee, and left. We're resting up for tomorrow's trek down rt#118. God, I hate 2 lane roads. The last time I drove on it, I was returning from the show at Hughesville and a car somewhere behind me tried to pass the old couple I had just passed.. They didn't make it and lost control, rolling down the embankment five times before coming to rest in the field below. Six people were in the vehicle and five actually got out unscathed. The sixth had to be cut from the wreckage. What a mess.

2 hours ago, windjamer said:

Is this address 150 Maynard or 150 s maynard?? Thanks.

I used the address:   1 College Avenue, Williamsport, PA. and the google navigation on my smartphone brought me right to the College Entrance on Maynard Street. I came in on I-180. The Maynard Street exit brought me to a traffic light with a Burger King on the right. I turned left onto Maynard Street and the college entrance is down Maynard Street a couple of blocks from the light on the left. You will pass a Sheetz on your left before you get to the college entrance.

The parking spots for the show do seem somewhat tight. Everyone should also realize that not all of the show car classes are parked on grassy areas. Some classes are parked on blacktop.

Mitch: You're welcome, glad I could help. FYI, I just spoke to one of the region members a little while ago. According to her there are over 500+ trailers scheduled to attend. In the small lot where my trailer is parked I counted 72 trailers and my lot is full. I recommend you get here early, get unloaded, get registered & parked and enjoy some breakfast here on campus.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I'll be trailering there in the AM. From what I'm hearing I'm already spring loaded to the pissed off position...........Bob

Bob,

It's gonna be ok. Just come the way you told me to, that worked good. My trailers are on grass, no sign of mud. It will be a little agravating unloading in the wet grass in the morning.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, real61ss said:

Bob,

It's gonna be ok. Just come the way you told me to, that worked good. My trailers are on grass, no sign of mud. It will be a little agravating unloading in the wet grass in the morning.

Yup, you were right. My early trepidation was unfounded. Arrived at 0800. Got my trailer parked on hard top with no hassle. The car parking was a bit confused but I'd say the show hands did a great job with an overflow crowd. Thanks to all. I especially appreciated the FREE trailer parking............Bob

Guest windjamer
On 5/23/2016 at 7:21 PM, Stan Kulikowski said:

Hi Dick,Stan, I don't  like to ask, but Icouldn't stay for the awards. My son is a cop and had to be on duty at 11pm. would you listen for my name and give me a shout with the the out come if you hear?? Thanks.

I'll be in 36G with the SS. I hope to see you there. It's been quite awhile since we've caught up. 

Is this address 150 Maynard or 150 s maynard?? Thanks.

Guest windjamer
On 5/24/2016 at 7:12 AM, real61ss said:

Windjamer,

Welcome back, sorry for your lose. I know 36 is the high performance class, I wondered which 36 class he was referring to. I have a car in 36a going for Sr GN. Look forward to seeing everyone

Hey 61ss, I also was in 36a going for senior,I looked the cars over but guess I missed you. I couldnt stay for awards , my kid is a cop and had to be back in Binghan\mton by 11pm.If you stay, please listen for my name and give me a shout with results. Thank.

I did something today I haven't done for a long time...I went to a car show as a spectator.   First of all I want to congratulate the region on doing an excellent job in parking the cars in this facility.  There were plenty of well informed helpers there that all were well informed . The cars were placed quickly and efficiently.  Parking for spectators was well organized.  Refreshments were in a great variety and reasonably priced,    This was a great showin a great location and very well done. 

• Like 1

Yes, many thanks to the hosts.

The setting was outstanding!  Not in a big

asphalt parking lot, but situated in all sorts of

landscaped nooks and other attractive areas,

among the walks and greenery of the campus.

The parking was tight, but everyone everyone

managed well--and you couldn't have found a

nicer location!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

3 hours ago, windjamer said:

Hey 61ss, I also was in 36a going for senior,I looked the cars over but guess I missed you. I couldnt stay for awards , my kid is a cop and had to be back in Binghan\mton by 11pm.If you stay, please listen for my name and give me a shout with results. Thank.

65 Buick GS.....right? If that is the car we are talking about you did get your Sr. GN

Sorry we missed getting meet up.

Guest windjamer
9 hours ago, real61ss said:

65 Buick GS.....right? If that is the car we are talking about you did get your Sr. GN

Sorry we missed getting meet up.

Thank you tom. Hope you also won.

Guest 64 Hardtop

Just want to thank all involved

Thanks to AACA and staff for bringing such a great event

Thanks to Penn College and staff for hosting this great event

Thanks to all the owners of those great vehicles for bringing them out to show

What a well organized meet! Someone was there every step of the way to direct and park. I spent a whole five dollars for lunch and got the seafood over linguine, a side of baked beans, and a cold drink.Sorry I didn't have more pictures but everyone ran like thieves after the rain started.  When they leave the field that's my prime opportunity to take pictures. Everyone has their hoods and trunks closed.Still, what a great turnout. Pictures below:

Just got home and dittos PLUS for a great meet.  The setting was fabulous, everything convenient, and I've never seen such great food service!!!  The college went all out to support the event and everything from the seminars to the signs was simply the best. The crowds of public spectators was really big too.   The Region did an amazing job.   I can't imagine how much last minute scramble needed to take place when the numbers jumped from the expected 450 to almost 650.   They pulled it off in an absolutely first class way.  We enjoyed all of it, especially the chance to meet Lynn St.James on Friday evening.   As usual Tidewater Region was well represented with cars on the field and judges and everyone that brought a vehicle came away with the award they were chasing.  We just got home and still have some unpacking to be done so will try to get a few pics up later, unless someone beats me to it!

Terry

Just wanted to pass along my Thanks as well to the Susquehannock Region Members for all their hard work before, during and after the meet. Region members were always there to help, from Trailer Parking, to Room Registration, to Show Registration, rides in the golf carts, answering questions and a host of other things. Thanks also to all the judges who gave their time to judge the over 600+ vehicles that came to this show.

During the meet I stayed on campus and found the facilities well maintained and clean. I came across a number of the Penn College Staff (Campus Police, Facilities Staff, Food Service Staff and others) who would greet you with a smile and were always available to help, if needed. The on campus dining hall breakfast and lunch "specials" made meals easy on the wallet and saved lots of time. Personally I really enjoyed the 3D Printing Workshop, Lab Tours, and Lyn St. James' talk on Friday. Having housing, dining options, trailer parking, activities and of course the show all on campus made for a fun, memorable experience. Having the buses to take members from the campus to the Awards Banquet was a nice touch and was greatly appreciated after a long, warm day at the show.

At the show I had the opportunity to speak with a number of Penn College students. Their love for cars is very encouraging to see since they are the future of the AACA.

Once again thanks to all those who worked so hard to make this event a success.

I've been to more than a dozen Grand National Meets and they never cease to amaze.  Always great cars and usually in a great setting.  This meet set the bar for great place to have a car show.  I usually have some anxiety about trailer parking and getting in and getting out of these shows, but this one was a treat.  It was well organized and from my perspective was as smooth as any.  My only anxiety was probably self inflicted.  I must of messed up my registration, because instead of expecting to be judged for a preservation tab, I had a windshield card that said Repeat Senior.  I had hosed off and vacuumed my beater Met before leaving home, but when I got to the show field I spent some extra time cleaning.  My apologies to the judging team for having to spend time with my car.  It was next to a Isetta so it was invisible anyway.  And as a bonus, it was a great picture taking day.  Great show.  Thanks to everyone involved.  Bill  Red and White Met.

It was the best venue for a car show that I have ever attended.  Lots of shade trees, park benches, and picturesque walks.  Trailer parking was easy and convenient, even for the guy (me) who managed to come in the wrong entrance.  The dining hall offered numerous quality choices at a reasonable price, was right there at the show.  It also provided some air conditioned respite on a humid day.  The campus buildings were open for rest rooms, and provided some cool spaces for judging teams to collate results.  There was nothing about this show not to like (except maybe a brief sprinkle of rain).   Everyone in the Susquehannock Region and at Penn College of Technology should be very proud of their work!  Thank you all.  This was my first Grand National, and I can't imagine any way it could have been better.  I am so happy I made the (9-hour) trip.  Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Much to my dismay we couldn't make the GN. We were at the Greenwich Concourse. Great show, some amazing cars but terribly organized. Nothing, and I mean nothing happened on time and this was a show with only 150 or so cars. Brought home to me how well organized and run AACA shows are.

Guest windjamer

Any one making bets on when the results will be posted?? I got a cold beer that say's today possable no later than Tuesday.

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Much to my dismay we couldn't make the GN. We were at the Greenwich Concourse. Great show, some amazing cars but terribly organized. Nothing, and I mean nothing happened on time and this was a show with only 150 or so cars. Brought home to me how well organized and run AACA shows are.

I had a car at Greenwich last year I must agree the organization was lacking especially with the trailer parking. I am sure you already know that you missed a GREAT meet in Williamsport this weekend. It is one of those events that if your accepted you have to attend. I hope you missed the rain, I know when I arrived home from Williamsport around 1PM it was raining pretty hard here, I am directly across the Long Island Sound from Greenwich about 6 miles away as the sea gull flies

I agree with all the praise given to the members of the Susquehannock Region for a great job done! Also a big thanks for everything done and the oppertunity to get together with some old friends and make some new ones, thanks again

I also agree  that it was very well organized and put on nicely. The lack of communication  via this forum and a few emails that were not replied to throughout was tough and caused many concerns from me and others to go unanswered.  They provided transportation to the banquet for the people staying in the dorms on campus.. Everyone else had to fend for themselves to get there, but luckily we  found room to repark the truck / trailer back  at the hotel lot 2 blocks away from the awards/ banquet. 

All in all a great job by the region as I was worrying all this time over nothing. 

Edited by Mitch's auto srvc ctr (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

If you have never been part of putting on a national show you can not imagine the work involved.I too was worrying for nothing, The region done a great job .

46 minutes ago, windjamer said:

If you have never been part of putting on a national show you can not imagine the work involved.I too was worrying for nothing, The region done a great job .

Yes they did Dick.  You are so correct in what you're saying.  Been there, done that, got the T-shirt AND the black eye.

The only thing bad was that they should've shut registration off sooner because there were almost more cars than there was real estate to put them.  I'm glad we were there going for a Repeat Senior Grand National because the competition in every class looked tough.  I wouldn't have wanted to unload anything off of the trailer that was less than a 395 point vehicle our you stood a chance at going home without a win. 

As for the real estate issue, there was an Ahrens-Fox fire engine that was supposed to be parked next to us that couldn't fit into the class where it was supposed to be because it was too tight to fit the truck in.  They probably should've either given him enough room to where his truck would fit, or moved our truck over where his truck was so that the class would stay together.  The Chief Judge made it known to my father and I several times to inform the team where that other truck was and we in fact did do that, but I know from my days when I used to be a Judge, it makes it harder for the judging team to find a vehicle when it is not where it is supposed to be.  Speaking of judging, there was an older couple that needed to get to judge's breakfast that couldn't find a ride so they rode to Judge's Breakfast on a tailboard of a fire engine.  That was probably a first for them.  No lights or sirens, but a leisurely ride on the back of a fire truck.

The meet was well run.  The signage was great, trailer parking was great, you were able to walk in and get lunch and not get stuck in a line for an extended amount of time, the region and the staff at the college were very courteous and from what I saw the spectators were respectful of the vehicles.  Having more cars and larger crowds is a great problem to have, but cramming in 200 extra cars might not be a good thing.  The biggest thing is to make sure that the egos don't turn things in the wrong direction.

Edited by ex98thdrill
spelling (see edit history)