Engine Rebuild Manual for a Lycoming straight 8 engine???

I have the repair manual for the 8-98 but the book has very little detail on the engine assembly and torque specs. Is there a book on the Auburn 8-98, 8-105 or any of the Lycoming straight 8 engines that shows pictures and provides assembly detail and torque specs on the engine?

• 3 weeks later...

Afraid there is not much to find in that regard.  You should start looking for period 'Motors' or 'Chiltons' type general automotive manuals that overlap the period when these were still in the used car category.  The earlier the better, for more info on removing, replacing & rebuilding things.   Even then, not much about torque values to be found in old books.

• 3 weeks later...

Sir,

Kissel manuals might help. Kissel Kars used Lycoming blocks for their eight cylinder cars from 1925 thru 1930. Huge eight cylinder blocks also used in Duesenbergs, Cords, and Auburns. Kissel however took the big Lycoming blocks and cast their own heads. Kissel also used their own lightweight pistons, crank, and rods in order to assure absolutely perfect balance and workmanship on these high end Kissel cars.

I own one of the four known Kissel 8-126 engines, shown below. Was running a sawmill in California when I got it. 

I have been told that it is the same engine as Auburns and Cords used, but it has the Kissel improvements above.

You might want to get a Kissel Model 8-126 manual to work on your Lycoming. These show up on ebay every few months - there are more manuals I think than engines extant.

Thanks, Ron Hausmann P.E.

Kissel 8-126 1-20-13 (2).jpg

Kissel 8-126 1-20-13 (3)).jpg