1929 Buick generator output

raydurr

I have been having headlamp bulbs burn out for sometime. I have 21 CP installed now, which have burned out. I have lost no other bulbs. I have checked my charging system  output with a voltage meter. It shows 7.6 volts as a maximum reading with engine revved up. What should the maximum permissible voltage be?

10 hours ago, DonMicheletti said:

A long shot is that cruddy battery terminals are letting the generator spike from time to time. But I agree, the 7.6 volts shouldnt be a problem

Agree.  Check all connections at the battery and generator.  Might be a bad internal connection in the generator?

All wiring has been replaced. Battery connection is clean and tight. Generator output appears to be steady according to the ammeter . Headlamp switch has been reconditioned. No electrical gremlins whatsoever other than the headlamps bulbs failing.

Ray,

Don't know for sure if your '29 headlamps is wired like my '26, (Positive wires to the socket bulb terminals and is grounded through the socket shell to the headlamp bucket to the lamp crossbar). I was not getting a good ground due to paint rust, etc. I installed separate ground wires connecting each bulb socket direct to a point on the frame. Works great.

Edited by AzBob
spelling correction (see edit history)

50 minutes ago, AzBob said:

Ray,

Don't no for sure if your '29 headlamps is wired like my '26, (Positive wires to the socket bulb terminals and is grounded through the socket shell to the headlamp bucket to the lamp crossbar). I was not getting a good ground due to paint rust, etc. I installed a separate ground wires connecting each bulb socket direct to a point on the frame. Works great.

What I did was remove and disassemble all light fixtures and soak them in vinegar for 2 hours. It removes all rust, it comes off with a toothbrush right down to the bare metal. Vinegar is AMAZING at removing rust,

1 hour ago, AzBob said:

Ray,

Don't no for sure if your '29 headlamps is wired like my '26, (Positive wires to the socket bulb terminals and is grounded through the socket shell to the headlamp bucket to the lamp crossbar). I was not getting a good ground due to paint rust, etc. I installed a separate ground wires connecting each bulb socket direct to a point on the frame. Works great.

My headlamp plug configurations sounds to be the same as yours. All parts were stripped . Parts were masked to ensure good connection once reassembled.  Power supply to bulbs appears to be strong and even. Bulbs usually fail when driving. No vibrations or adverse road conditions.

23 hours ago, FLYER15015 said:

Just as a low cost test, could you install 12 volt bulbs and run them for awhile ?

If THEY blow, it would indicate to me a dead short.

?? How does that work electrically??  A 12 volt bulb vs a 6 volt bulb is that the 12 volt bulb is a larger resistor?  To make a bulb light one side is run to ground and the other side goes to voltage.  Shorting the ground wire to ground does nothing.  Grounding the power side wire would burn something up stream of the bulb.  At least that is the way I was taught and understand the electrical system??

In "raydurr's first post, he stated that in his 6 volt system he was getting 7.6 volts as his max generator output.

Maybe the 6 volt bulbs don't have the capacity to absorb that extra 1.6 volts ?

A 12 volt light bulb certainly can handle 7.6 volts.

Won't be a bright as they should, but if they DO blow, then we'll know there is something else going on in that circuit.

Mike in Colorado

12 Volt systems are designed to operate up to a peak of 16 volts without damaging components in the system.

Normal operating voltage output of the generator on a 12 volt system is usually about 13.0 - 14.5 volts depending upon the state of charge of the battery and what accessories and lights, etc are on at any one time.

7.6 volt max output should not be a problem.  Might just be on the higher side of "normal" but should be fine. Just IMO.

The best course of action would be to get a meter that can record the minimum and maximum voltage in the system while driving and running.  Anything else is just throwing parts at the issue and not fixing the root cause.