courtesy lights wont go out

Guest riviera4vr

Guest riviera4vr

Gentleman

Sorry for the duplicate of topic but I just have to ask....

I have a 64 Riv and all of a sudden the interior lights wouldn't go out. I did at one point turn on the lights with the courtesy switch above the radio under the dash. I have tried to use it again but it has no effect. I have taken out the door jamb switch cleaned them up a bit and replaced them. Still the lights remain on (sail panel, glove box and center console) I have removed the two fuses as a temporary measure and am prepared to replace whatever necessary. I see OPGI has a door jamb switch (BR01493) and I will order them but should I be doing something else? I did look at the courtesy switch and unplugged it but no effect.

I know I should be testing the existing switches before replacing them ( not sure where to get a courtesy switch?) Could someone explain in layman terms what steps I should take!

Thank you in advance!!

Dave

Generally the courtesy lights are switched by making a ground.

When you open the door the little switch comes out and makes a ground. Close the door the ground goes away.

With this system it could be any of the switches that turn them on, so your trouble shooting will be to unhook the switches and see which one isn't giving up the ground when turned off.

On the other hand any of he wires that complete the circuit to ground could be shorted and the result would be that the lights will not turn off.

Yes , circuit is just like descripted above . If after you pull all sw's in jambs and let wires out not touching any metal . Try lightly shaking wire harness in area you last worked . These individual wire join each other and go back to the courtesy lights at some point . You must also rule out courtesy lights themselves .The head light sw with courtesy on position, may be a little harder to test or define with out diagrams ,but it to works to ground out system .

Guest riviera4vr

Well I found my problem and it was actually easy to fix. I put the fuses back in and all lights went on as before then I switched the rear console light off and the lights went out. I put the door jamb switches back in and voila! When either door is opened all lights come on. This may not be the factory way and maybe someone had monkeyed with it but for now i'm happy. The headlight switch & courtesy light switch also work now...Thanks for all your help!

Long live the Riviera 3, 4 & 5

Dave