1963 Chevy Impala hardtop 409/425 4-speed *SOLD*

Looks like a great car.  Matt Harwood's name means a lot.

I feel bad for you with this never ending country song thread.  It's a For Sale thread, not a Discussion unless a party has questions about the item for sale.

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

*SOLD*

Matt

Would you forward my info to the new owner? I would like to follow the car future. Getting a 1961 Chev Impala with a 409 in the shop in the next couple of weeks to rework. The resto shop did some shady work. Very rare car.

Thanks

Dave

16 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Matt

Would you forward my info to the new owner? I would like to follow the car future. Getting a 1961 Chev Impala with a 409 in the shop in the next couple of weeks to rework. The resto shop did some shady work. Very rare car.

Thanks

Dave

I'm sure glad this car sold. 

Dave,

This 61 Impala that you mentioned, does it have a 61 409 motor? Is it an SS model. Just curious. Thanks

3 hours ago, real61ss said:

I'm sure glad this car sold. 

Dave,

This 61 Impala that you mentioned, does it have a 61 409 motor? Is it an SS model. Just curious. Thanks

I have not seen the car. It has been in resto for 20 years. Guy was at a parts store looking for a vibration damper and he told the customer about me knowing 409s. None up here in this little town of 3500. So the guy came to our shop to make arrangements. Will keep you posted with pictures. I see your handle is (Real 61SS). Do you have one?

Dave,

Yes, I do have one, mine is a real factory built SS and now has a 1961 409 motor. It was originally a 348/350 horse car. This is the second of these cars I have owned, I have done quite a bit of research on them and will be glad to lend any of the little bit of knowledge I have.  There were only 453 original SS cars built, lots of clones now. Only 142 Chevrolets were equipped with the 409 motor in '61.

Edited by real61ss (see edit history)

I believe that the SS options were dealer installed. It became assembly line built starting with the 62 in Aug-Sept.I have been told.

I have been with the W engine since the early 60s. Give me a call this weekend if you don't mind. I have a lot of background with the W from restoring to Semi prof drag racing. That is why I had such an interest in this car that Matt was selling. I would have loved to make a Z11 or Mystery Motor clone from this car. Here is some pictures from my files on the 61 SS. They even had a 61 4dr SS. Sorry Matt for all the chat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

15.jpg

20140210_094906 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095149 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095216 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095236 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095255 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095310 - Copy.jpg

20140210_095321 - Copy.jpg

4.jpg

20140210_095200 - Copy.jpg

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

Dave,

I hadn't had time to respond to your post concerning the factory built verses the dealer installation of the SS option in 1961. Perhaps we should start a new thread about this, there may be others who are interested and may never see our conversation because it is buried in this thread. The SS option was RPO 240, it was a factory option starting in Feb. of 1961. According to GM records there were 453 of these cars built at the factories. In 1961 there were about 6000 Chevrolet dealers so you can see that the chances of a dealer getting one of these cars was very slim. There was never a dealer installed SS package authorized by Chevrolet however to enable them to sell cars the dealers did add the SS components to regular Impalas. Most of these cars only had the visable items installed like the hub caps, grab bar etc. MosT of these cars didn't have the hard core stuff like the correct engines or the metalic brake linings that were on the factory built cars.

As for the 409 motor, that became available to the public also in Feb of 1961 although some well know racers were supplied with this motor in Dec of 1960. I think that because the SS option and the 409 option were announced very close together a lot of people think that the 142 motors were all in the new Super Sport cars but this isn't the case either, the new 409 was available in any of the big car models (Bel Air, Biscayne or Impala.

Take care

• Like 1

I would enjoy carrying this discussion to another location also.  Yes, Tommy's dates and numbers are correct.  I have had the privilege of seeing the original 348 design blueprint drawings and 1961 Tonawanda casting summaries. Needless to say the blueprint drawing dates are interesting.  I have a 61 SS but it is certain to have been built very nicely by a dealer in the midwest area.  Also it isn't close to the quality of either of Tommy's two!!!

Robert

8 hours ago, real61ss said:

Dave,

I hadn't had time to respond to your post concerning the factory built verses the dealer installation of the SS option in 1961. Perhaps we should start a new thread about this, there may be others who are interested and may never see our conversation because it is buried in this thread. The SS option was RPO 240, it was a factory option starting in Feb. of 1961. According to GM records there were 453 of these cars built at the factories. In 1961 there were about 6000 Chevrolet dealers so you can see that the chances of a dealer getting one of these cars was very slim. There was never a dealer installed SS package authorized by Chevrolet however to enable them to sell cars the dealers did add the SS components to regular Impalas. Most of these cars only had the visable items installed like the hub caps, grab bar etc. MosT of these cars didn't have the hard core stuff like the correct engines or the metalic brake linings that were on the factory built cars.

As for the 409 motor, that became available to the public also in Feb of 1961 although some well know racers were supplied with this motor in Dec of 1960. I think that because the SS option and the 409 option were announced very close together a lot of people think that the 142 motors were all in the new Super Sport cars but this isn't the case either, the new 409 was available in any of the big car models (Bel Air, Biscayne or Impala.

Take care

Where would you like to start a new thread?. Very interesting stuff. We had Zorro with a Z11 in a split window in our driveway. I have a lot of history with the W. I had one of the very last 409s made in Feb of 65.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

Where would you like to start a new thread?. Very interesting stuff. We had Zorro with a Z11 in a split window in our driveway. I have a lot of history with the W. I had one of the very last 409s made in Feb of 65.

Dave,

Take care

Dave,

Start a thread under General Discussion

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Moonbeamspecial said:

If its sold why is the ad still on?  Your just taking up valuable real estate here.

One, I didn't bring this thread back to life. There's a secondary conversation going on between separate guys who love these cars and want to discuss them. I think that's perfectly OK.

Two, previous ads can be interesting for future browsers looking for information or traces of similar cars or even a future owner looking for details on this specific car. I don't delete my ads for this reason. There is useful information here.

Three, space on the internet is [relatively speaking] infinite. This thread isn't preventing anyone else from posting one, it's not taking up space that could be used for something else. There's no harm in keeping it around.

Don't like, don't click, don't read. Easy!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2