Air Bag removal

I have 1990 TC/w 2.2 16V 5 speed. I need to replace my hazard warning switch (it's frozen). Anyone out there have any suggestions on the removal of the air bag? I've checked the past newsletters and the posts here, but can't really find any usable info except that the clock spring should be replaced periodically. 

Edited by Degerb
could not start a new topic until I used the Edit button (see edit history)

Best advice is to start by getting the factory service manual ( new reprints available from rockauto.com ) and follow the instructions.  There is more to replacing this switch than pulling the air bag which is a fairly simple procedure and the most intimidating part could be finding a new switch. The hazard switch is part of the turn signal switch and the TC has cornering lights which are also part of the turn signal switch. Plenty of brand new switches for old Buicks and Cad's with cornering lights that use this style tilt column, sometimes even those are out of stock. Finding one with cable ends ready to plug into the TC wire harness could be tough and changing the plug connectors so you can use the GM switch takes a special tool, or time.

Thanks Digger.... I have the manual. I was just wondering if anyone has had problems with the removal of the air bag. A couple of questions... In your estimation, how reliable is our air bag deployment after 26 years, I know the indicator light works but a person always wonders!... I have a line on a 89 column with all the switches working... can I fish the bag wiring down the column? Will the clock spring fit or would it just be easier to pull the old switch and replace that. Rock Auto shows that they have a replacement...?

When that big old battleship came out of mothballs for Viet Nam and again for the gulf, it was shooting powder and shells left over from WW2 The air bag deploys with an explosive charge and so long as the plastic case remains supple I don't think age is going to hurt it. With all the bad news and reports about new air bags, I wouldn't even want to guess at how reliable the deployment will be on one this old. My humorous point of view is that if it hasn't accidently blown while driving in the past 26 years, that probably won't accidentally blow in the next 26.

Never had any trouble removing an air bag, though have to admit that the first couple times I pulled one I was a bit nervous and I'm always extra careful the first time I pull a new style bag that I've never pulled before.

Guarantee that if rockauto has a brand new switch ready to plug and go, it will be one heck of a lot easier to replace the switch than it is to replace the column. A little trick that works pretty good is to tie your pull line to the old switch plug and pull it into the column as you pull the old switch out. When you pull the new switch in, tape your plugs in a straight line down the pull string and be gentle pulling them down the pipe. Also use good strong tape, none of that clear scotch or masking stuff.