Buick Hi-Power Equipment - 1956

Thought I would share some information I came across while researching someones question regarding how much can be shaved off the heads of a '55 Buick 322 to raise compression ratio. The following is from the February 1956 Buick Parts Product Information

Image.jpgImage (2).jpgImage (3).jpgImage (4).jpg

• Like 4

Two questions . . . 1) how much milling would it take to raise the compression ratio to 10.0 to 1?  If it was THAT much, then the valve train adjustments/geometry might have some issues too.   2) what are the cam specs for the stock cam and the "high power equipment" cam?  With the related question of any changes to the distributor advance curve with the upgraded camshaft?

Presumably, the exhaust system would be "dual"?

NTX5467

• Like 1

I find this very interesting. My grandfather stands firm his youngest son (my uncle) shaved the heads on the 322. But if that were the case, according to this article, there would be interference. I have yet to hammer a piston with a valve so maybe he never did it but I guess I would never really know without putting them on a bone stock engine (mine was bored .030 over).

I also find it interesting that they have a hi-power intake manifold gasket. I presume it blocks off the heat riser?

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)

Isn't it possible that you can mill the heads, IF you keep the original pistons?

I find it hard to believe 322 heads HAVEN'T been milled by some folks.

Reading the notice, they are talking about THEIR package which includes taller pistons that raise the compression,  I may be wrong, I HAVE  been B4,

Dale in Indy

Edited by smithbrother (see edit history)