1923 EK BIG SIX TRANSMISSON

In 1925 the EP Big Six went to an engine mounted transmission.  Nothing interchanges with the previous style, so to answer your question.....no.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

will have to put this project on hold until I find another transmission in the mean time will start in second gear.  Do not drive it that much anyway.  My 20 ton floor press is on the way so I can play with breaking down the cluster gear.  When I return to Chicago will look into getting a gear made.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks !! Have asked for a pic of inside with focus on condition of first gear and advice that the gears have all their teeth. Already have 2 with bad 1st gears.  in the meantime will drive it occasionally starting in second gear.  As somone already mentioned 1st gear is kinda for pulling tree stumps.  A machine shop in Chicago told me they are ready to make it,  just gotta get over there.  Got my 20 ton press delivered last week and should get a large bearing splitter clamp for press plates Monday.  At that point and after dropping some branches on some trees in the yard will take the cluster gear apart.  Who knows might get this trans and rebuild the other for fun. 

wishing and hoping

Ken

Paul and friends

Got it out today and then had to cut grass might get replacement in and bolted down today but probably not trimmed out will leave myself some fun for  Monday.  Have to go back to Chicago Tuesday for work hope to take it for a spin before that but if not Thursday or so.

Ken

got the replacement transmission in all bolts in place need to be tightened and cotter pin put in place.  need to replace one of the rear flange bolt and nut off to home depot in morn.  I will post a picture of a repair done to the one I took out (an aluminum case repair) that I consider heroic and skilled to say the least.  

took the Stude for a ride today.  seems the shifter needs adjustment but all seems very nice transmission shifts nice and does not make noise.  having four shifters i picked the nice looking one rather than the one that was on the trans, will remove Wednesday and replace with the one it came with.

• 7 months later...