70 Skylark 455 Driver

Smartin

Thanks, Ted!  You going to Allentown?

The remainder of the rubber went in this afternoon, as well as the rest of the interior.  Next on the list is to paint the headlight doors, grille trim, and quarter extensions so I can mount the bumpers.  I have a guy lined up to do the vinyl top as soon as I can drive it over there.  It will probably wait until I get the hood and trunk painted and installed, though.

IMG_6293.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

• Like 1

My intent was to get the brakes fixed this morning...yeah.

After finding out yesterday that the "new" Delco booster was bad out of the box, I installed the ugly Auto Zone one I bought initially. I have power brakes now, but the pedal is still crap, and I can't lock the brakes up. I found out that I need a hold-off valve at the MC for the 70 model disc brake cars. Great, another $100 bill to inline tube...and 3 more days lost.

Once I got that all figured out, the carburetor decided to start acting up. Something must have been stuck in the needle/seat, since it was loading up at idle. Choke was wide open. So I pulled the carb off and cleaned it out. Threw it back on, and we are back in business. Took it for a spin with the new 3.55 posi. WOW this thing is a different animal. It rips the tires off when it hits 2nd gear. And this is a bone stock 72 big block!

After my joy ride, I thought it was necessary to keep the momentum going by continuing body work on the hood and trunk. I stripped the trunk lid and epoxied it. Then hosed the hood and trunk with high build primer. Once that was done, I started blocking the hood. Ohhhh buddy this thing is a mess. I thought I had it close when I had initially hit it with mud. It's close, but it needs a blanket coat of slick sand. I ran a guide coat on the initial block and it looks like the foothills of the Appalachians. I'll get it as close as I can, but I'm starting to lose hope with this hood.

IMG_6405.JPG

IMG_6404.JPG

• Like 3

I hosed some leftover black paint and clear from another project on the top today to seal the metal before the vinyl top goes on.  The car is supposed to go to the top guy in a week, but I don't think the hood or trunk will be done yet.  I am hoping I can take it to him and park it inside the shop.  Or it will have to wait until I finish body work.

IMG_6406.JPG

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Smartin said:

The car is supposed to go to the top guy in a week, but I don't think the hood or trunk will be done yet. 

I did not notice,  but I'm sure you pulled the back window out and then reset it.  As for taking it without the trunk lid, I think that's a good idea.  They can stand in there to install the top instead of leaning over your doors & quarters. 

I dropped the car off to a buddy to have him slap the vinyl top on...hopefully will be done in a week.  That will buy me some time to finish the trunk lid and hood.  I hosed some paint on the underside of the lid today.  Tomorrow I should be able to get the top side and hood painted.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Practice makes (almost) perfect, right?  I took the photos when it was still pretty tacky.  Tomorrow, it will have some more haze to it.  I'll let it shrink for the rest of this week then hopefully knock it down by the end of the weekend.  No hurry, since I don't have the car to install them.

• Like 4

Trunk lid installed...going to finish buffing as soon as I can get the hood buffed, also.

Vinyl top was installed this morning, and some of the stainless went on.  The other pieces will have to be repaired, and will go on later this week.

I started installing the correct brake booster and MC, but ran into an issue with one of the lines, and my flare tool sucks.  So I will be buying a new one tomorrow to finish the job.

IMG_6509.jpg

IMG_6510.jpg

• Like 6

After fixing (I think) the brakes, I needed to make some room in the garage.  Atena helped me put the hood on tonight, and with only minor adjustments, it laid right down.  I was a bit nervous about the adjustment, since this hood was untested for fitment.  I still need to cut and buff it, but at least I can open both doors to the car now.  I also need to get it in for an alignment.  I am going to try making a cruise night on Saturday if all goes well. 

The scoops still need to be painted, and are just laying in place in the photos.  Please excuse the massive amounts of dust :D

IMG_6524.jpg

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

• Like 5

Yeah.  I did my best to emulate the process I used on the rest of the car.  Air pressure, # coats of base and clear.  It also makes a difference on what direction it was painted, and at what angle the panels were at, in relation to how they will be mounted.  I think I see a slight difference in some lights....I won't be repainting regardless.  "It is what it is."

• Like 1

Yep, lots of paint things to consider when piece painting.

Look at the new Cameros, the rear quarter panel right behind the doors seems to be OFF COLOR, but it ISN'T.

The bulge out behind the door creates an illusion, some have even complained to dealers, early on dealers have even gone to the expense to repaint, and show the customer that it ISN'T a color difference, it's the angle that you see.  Like a wall in your house, the same paint at a corner can look like a different shade, but isn't.

Dale in Indy

• Like 1