skycar

Big 6 inlet valve

Hello to all here,

I need to acquire a newer/new inlet valve for my Studebaker Big 6. Will a Standard 6 do the same job or is there an equivalent that will fit?

If you are interested I have posted a couple of short video's on "Youtube" on my progress of machining by hand and in situ an ugly previous repaired valve seat, to keep the beast running for now.....IMG_4225.jpg

"Studebaker Big 6 valve seat tweek"

Any info appreciated, thanks.

Regards Roger 

Brisbane Australia

0413 770 910

studebaker25@hotmail.com

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4397.jpg

IMG_4225.jpg

Roger,

Can you provide head diameter, stem diameter and length. I have a couple of sets of decent valves but don't know if they came from a Special or Big Six. Also a photo of the keeper end. I think mine have a hole for a pin.

Scott

Most vendors stock their parts by part number.

I have a large selection of valves but need Studebaker part numbers.

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks Scott and Robert for your replies, there is a mixed set of valves installed.

I am guessing, but what I think is the original ones have a flat top with an extended screwdriver slot and others have a domed style top with screwdriver slot and all of these have the pin for retaining.

All dimensions are readable in the attached pics give or take a few thou and all have .375" stem dia.

Another variation is a few exhausts have retaining collets and no slot with markings on the head as pictured below.

Hopefully you have something to match for me?

Many thanks Roger

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4410-1.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

Hi Roger,

This is what I found:  The Big Six and Special Six both take the same valves.  Intake and exhaust valves are the same.  According to my parts manual - valve p/n: 32090, valve guide p/n: 16727, valve spring p/n: 10000, valve spring retainer p/n: 130 and valve spring retainer pin p/n: 39792.

In looking through my parts I found a NOS box of Toledo Valves and the box was marked 1919-1920 Overland and another sticker said 1919-1927 Studebaker Big 6.  What I found in the box were 10 NOS valves that had a domed slotted head, 3/8" stem with an overall length of 6.705" and a head diameter of 1.715".  These were stamped 221. I surmise these are for the Overland - first photo.

I also found two other NOS valves in that box that had a flat slotted top, 3/8" stem with an overall length of 6.59" and a head diameter of 1.875".  They are marked Toledo Valves T119.  I believe that these two are a match for what you need. $10/each - second photo.

I also found a really nice used set of valves with a flat slotted top, 3/8" stem, overall length of 6.59" and a head diameter of 1.875".  These also have the springs, retainers and the newer style valve keepers (versus the pins).  These have the Studebaker Logo on the top and an EH stamp (so maybe out of a 1919-1921 Special Six?). $75 for the set of 12 valves, springs, retainers and keepers - last two photos.

The worst part is the shipping.  I can probably get the two NOS valves into a USPS Small Flat Rate box for $35.  If you wanted the set of 12 with springs and retainers I would need to use a Medium Flat Rate at about $75.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

20160530_215213.jpg

20160530_215320.jpg

20160530_215400.jpg

20160530_215412.jpg

Edited by Stude Light
Added email (see edit history)

Thanks Scott, your very fair with your price, much appreciated I will send you an email.

I have had good luck with shipping via Ebay's Global shipping program.

I send many packages to that part of the world.

Scott.

The "S" marking on the valves is not a Studebaker marking but the manufacturer

of the valves.

When I saw the "S" inside of a symbol that looks like the old Studebaker wheel and the EH, I thought the coincidence was too much! Perhaps Studebaker should have sued Slocum Steel for trademark infringement :P

I assume that you need to be an active seller on eBay to use their Global shipping services. Not there yet, but thanks for the tip.

Scott

Maybe someone from Brisbane is coming to Warwick andean bring these.

Thanks for your thoughts RBK, I have bought the valves from Scott and they should arrive in the mail here, in the next few days.

Roger

Roger

Did the valves that Scott send you fulfill your needs?

I will take these of my look for list.

Robert Kapteyn

Thanks for your follow up Robert, yes Scott was able to help me out. I am sure other rarities with be required along the way and I will run that by you next time, thanks again.

Roger