I have a few questions. I picked up a 1952 chieftain 8 cylinders and I know the car ran and had a tune up about 2000 miles before it was abandoned. It is still in fairly decent shape for being left in a field for almost 40 years. Anyway, I took out the dipstick and noticed that the oil has some gunk in it, a little yellowish and thick, either it's really old or maybe a little bit or rain water got in, but it's still oily. Since the car doesnt start or run, what's the best way to clean out the engine? I really don't want to take it completely apart unless I absolutely have to. Would opening the valve cover and removing the oil pan be enough? Should I spray everything in there down with kerosene? Also the car is 6 volts and I intend on keeping it that way, but I don't have a 6 volt battery. Is there any way I can test the car with a 12 volt to see if it will start? I can't seem to find any 6 volt batteries yet and I just want to see if I can get it to crank before buying a new battery. Thanks

Edited by glyptic (see edit history)

1. Drain the oil and drop the oil pan - there is probably going to be sludge on the bottom of the pan and the oil pump pickup screen. So clean all of that out.

2. You can remove the valve covers as there may be sludge in that area, too. Cleaning with Kerosene is okay but before reassembling the valve covers I would squirt some oil over the valve stems and all. You want to have some lubrication there before starting.

3. Remove all the spark plugs (1 at a time so as not to mix up the wiring) and squirt some oil down each cylinder. If the engine is free rotate it by hand to coat the cylinder walls with the oil you added.

4. Drain the radiator and engine block and add fresh anti-freeze.

5. Probably will need to pop the distributor cap and "file" the points as they tend to oxidize while sitting.

6. Use a remote gas can to feed the carb. Probably a good idea to remove the line from the gas tank at the fuel pump. You don't want to be trying to pump whatever is in the gas tank after 40 years into your engine or fuel pump.

7. Yes you can use a 12 volt battery to try to crank the engine.

I think you may be able to get the "long" 6 volt battery you need from Tractor Supply but there are other places that have them. Be ready to plunk down $100.00 + for one.

Be patient as you don't want to rush the process and maybe cause damage that can be avoided.

Hope this helps.

Joe

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input everyone, I appreciate it. I took the gas tank off and there appears to be tar in the fuel lines...what could that be?

On 5/25/2016 at 9:58 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Drain the radiator and engine block and add fresh anti-freeze.

How do I drain the engine block? I took off the radiator and there was no coolant in it whatsoever so Im assuming some leaked out and some may still be in the engine. Thanks again

did you look in the service manual. it should be there. possibly on the side of the block there is a small square headed plug to drain the block. there is on my 63s.

Does anyone know how to remove the front wheel hub? My front passenger wheel doesn't spin and I need to remove it to clean it out. Are there bolts behind it? My service manual hasnt come in yet so I can't check. Thanks

Assuming you have jacked the car up and have the wheel off.  Pull grease cap off, remove cotter pin, undo nut and pull hub off.  Put something under to catch the bearings if you drop them out of the hub.  You might have to back the brake shoes off to get the drum free.  DO NOT HAMMER OR PRY ON THE DRUM!!!

Hey glyptic, one thing to note, 1950s Pontiacs have left hand thread lug nuts on the drivers side.  These can be identified by an "L" stamped on the end of the lug stud and are removed by turning clockwise.  New owners are rarely aware of them and they cause frustration and breakage, have a look and good luck, Todd C