TC Died on the freeway need advice!

Guest EmmettTC

Guest EmmettTC

Well this weekend I was on the way to the state's biggest car show and around 45 minutes into my drive (30 min on the freeway at 65/ 70 mph) the car began slowing down and sputtering under acceleration. The weather was around 75 degrees, I had 3/4 a tank of 93 octane gas and temp gauge was halfway. I have had a bad HEP before and this was NOT a bad hall effect plate because the rpm's were not all over the tach and the tach behaved normally. 

I flashed out a Code 26 - Peak injector circuit voltage has not been reached.

I pulled over on the freeway, turned the car off and waited a minute or so. I started it again and slowly sputtered it to the nearest off ramp, less than a 1/4 mile away. There was a stoplight at the end of the off ramp and the car completely stalled out at it. This time I was unable to restart it, the car would crank and crank, no start. After about 5 minutes I got it to start,and immediately floored it and sputtered to the rest stop, about an 1/8 mile from the stoplight. I waited about half an hour to an hour and got her started and the idle seemed fine and I ended up stuck at another stoplight. With accompanied waiting, I took it back to the rest stop and called a tow truck. Even with waiting a while, I could get the car to start and it would idle to a stall. This issue has happened once before after freeway driving on a warmer day. SO I ask WHY! and what can I do to fix it. Obviously it is something in the fueling system. I first thought vapor lock. Then bad fuel pump. Now I think it's bad injectors because of the code but why would injectors stop working after getting tired on the freeway? (seems like something the fuel pump might do rather than injectors.) I don't have a ton of money to throw at this so I want to do it right the first time. Any suggestions on what the issue could be? Torn between injectors and fuel pump right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest EmmettTC

Also to add. I did put a bottle of injector cleaner in a few days before this, but the issue has happened before. The engine is a 8V Turbo II, I believe the injectors are original expect the fuel pump is. 168k miles on the Odo.

Check the connectors for corrosion. Triple, quadruple check the ground from the injector harness to the fuel rail and the one from the back of the intake to the firewall. Both are SUPER important. The big black connector that the injector harness plugs into is subject to some nastiness. I have seen them severely corroded inside. If you find a situation like this, dunk the connector in a cup of white vinegar. That'll clean it up in short order making it look brand new!

That's where *I* would start anyway. There might be a better way to diagnose this via a flow chart from the FSM, but I don't have that in font of me.

If you are a member of TC America, you have read about my fuel pump dilemma in a recent issue of the Newsletter.

If you have not done so already, REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP.  If you wish to question my advice, have at it.

Guest GregTC
3 hours ago, Hemi Dude said:

If you are a member of TC America, you have read about my fuel pump dilemma in a recent issue of the Newsletter.

If you have not done so already, REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP.  If you wish to question my advice, have at it.

If you have a gage to check the fuel pressure start there I have to agree with Hemi the fault may be false been the ecm might not have been getting the right voltage sense the engine was running sporadic and check one more thing I don't know how old your battery is but I had a one go open on me while driving and the car did the same type of symptoms