Hubcap ding removal...who?

Beltfed

I have four Chevy hubcaps which have dings or dents from removal.  They are SST and only one layer, unlike my Packard's.  Not real expensive or impossible to replace.  Does anyone do this for a reasonable fee or should I just cut my losses and find new ones?  Thanks.

Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

As long as they are not plated, you could do it yourself.  Like stated above,  time and patience......

I have hammers and Dolly's, shot bags, and various anvils for 'panel beating'.  Mostly used on body panels and such.  As most know one gets a panel as flat as possible and then uses a skim coat of filler to get it ready for paint.  With these hubcaps that process can't be used as they are shiny, they will show every dimple.  This is an old Chevy truck which is almost as they made it, oxidized paint and all.  Dare I say it...'barn find' but with no damage or mouse poop. I guess a few small dings from usage fits the truck.  Thanks.

image.jpeg

Try it yourself- there is a book on ebay/azamon called "Metal Bumping" by Frank Sargent for less than $20  It is a must read for anyone going to do metal work. It explains things very well.  The FTE (Ford Truck Enthusiast forum) turned me on to it when I was rebuilding my 49 F3 see before and after pics. First time I did any metal work.

f3 sidev.JPG

bed2.JPG

I bought it out of the last barn within the city of Chicago. Took it down to the frame. It had a flat head 6 in it and widow maker wheels. I got the flat head running for about 10 minute when it thru a rod and destroyed the block. Dropped a 5.0 EFI Mustang in it so it at least stayed all Ford. The stance is due to original leaf springs, all 14 of them in the rear and a Jag front rack & pinion. It's an F3 heavy duty which is actually a 3/4 ton rated as a 1 ton.  Drove it twice and sold it. The fun was in the build. Now I've got the 38 State Commander which is a survivor  out of a barn in PA after 40+ years. It runs and looks ok. The interior should be re-done but it is only original once so I am still undecided if I should fix it. The best part is driving it 4 or 5 times a week.  Have fun. Dave S