Body Panel Alignment

So ever since I bought my 8V car the hood's alignment has been "off". The other day I noticed it was so off that it actually chipped the edge of the glass on my left headlight lens (grumble grumble). So, I had enough of that mess...I'm going to fix it...or so I thought.

I learned 1 valuable lesson: take the gas lift struts loose from the hood BEFORE you try to align it!

OK, so I did that, took the grill off because you also need access to the hood latch to adjust that as well.

It *can* be done by 1 person, but I highly suggest 2 (unless an experienced body person can give us all a clue on how to *actually* do this).

So...after a bit of time mucking around with it I finally got the grill much more centered between the headlights and the hood line is even down both fenders.

BUT....the hood seems to be positioned to the passenger's side of the car by ~1/8" (it's very obvious). The fenders are aligned with the A-pillars and as I said, the gap is even down both sides. They are also aligned with the doors and the bumper cover, so...yeah...what am I missing here?

I know these cars are hand built, so I'm wondering if this is a "character" thing for TC's or if I have some more alignment work to do? I tried to adjust the fenders, but I'm fairly sure I missed a bolt or two because they wouldn't move at all! (and I forgot to look at my mostly stripped parts car...DOH!)

I also have to align the trunk lid as well because it is "off" as well.

To my knowledge and from my inspection of this car (I have been all over and under this thing) it has never had any significant damage (knock on wood), so I think accident damage can be ruled out.

On the drivers side fender, are you measuring at a similar place back from the forward tip of the fender?  Does the gap remain the same all the way back or does it narrow? Tough to make an assessment with varying pictures left and right. From shot is no help. How do the gaps look at the rear of the hood to the fender and A post?

Yes, measurements were made in similar places. The gap on the driver's side slightly decreases from .280" at the light end to .250" at the windshield end. On the passenger's side it goes from .113" to .200". 

Most panel alignment is done with body shims and these things come in different shapes and thicknesses. It's easy to add shims to expand a gap or raise a panel height, bit more difficult to lower a panel or shrink a gap. Sometimes to align body panels you need to bend things to fit.

Looks like you need to move your hood to the left, go to the frame mounting point of the hinges and look to see if the left side hinge is shimmed, if it is move the shims, if not bend the hinges, you have more than 1/4 in play space and you only need 1/8. Easy enough to do with the hood mounted if you have the tools, ingenuity is required if you don't.