Possible 60's-70's Buick Book???

Hello All,<P>Altough I am fairly new to the world of Buicks, I am trying my hardest to learn and absorb as much knowledge I can. I am a professional photographer, and I also work with a graphic designer, and we have been kicking around the idea of doing a book on 60's - 70's era Buicks. <P>What I am trying to see right now is what kind of deamand there is out there right now for such a book. We plan in addition to showing great pictures of restored Buicks (not just Skylarks and Rivs.!!!, I want to show lots of Wildcats, Electras, Lesabre's!!!) to have original ads, brochure excerpts, and other Buick tidbits that we all love to look at.<P>If the project did go through, we would need the support of Buick lovers like you guys, for information, rare pieces of literature, and most important of all YOUR CARS to photograph. I would like to have a large full color, hardcover book. Also, how much would you be willing to pay for such a book if we had to go the self-published route??? We really wish to have an extreme high-quality book that anyone (even import lovers) would be proud to have on their coffee table.<P>Nothing is definite at this point, I am just feeling out the interest in such a book. Please post your ideas and thoughts.<P>james<BR>69' skylark custom convertible<BR>

Guest John Chapman

James,<P>How 'bout Buick of the '40 - '50 "Buicks of the Great Generation" wink.gif<P>And Buicks of the '60 - 70's "Buicks of the Boomers"? grin.gif<P>Seriously, a worthwhile project. I'd be happy to contribute. I don't know what these books go for $30-40?

This would be a great project. The Buicks of this era are definitely deserving of this kind of project, and there would be significant demand for such a book among the Buick Club people I know. I would gladly pay something on the order of $40 - $60 for a book of very high quality.<P>Brian Laurance<BR>'59 Electra, '71 Centurion<BR>laurance@integrity.com

Anybody notice that there are more books written on the AMC's, Studebakers, Dodges or even Allis Chalmers's of the 1960's then there are on Buicks. I think a good quality coffee table book would find a <I> very </I> ready market. Buick is probably more ignored in print relative to it's hobbiest popularity than any other marque. I literally have twice as many books on my TR6 as my Buick.<P>If it were me, I'd begin the book in 1953, not 1960, however. This would be because of the introduction of the V8 that year. Also one of the largest Buick hobbiest markets is the 1955-1959 era.<P>Now, you don't happen to have any influence on the AMT people and the 1/24th scale models they choose to reissue now and then, do you???? wink.gif<p>[This message has been edited by Dave@Moon (edited 10-02-2000).]

Thanks for the response so far, but I have to admit I was hoping more people than three would have responded!!! But I am still determined to do it, and hope to have the means shortly.<P>thanks<BR>james

It's important to remember that only a tiny percentage of your target market for such a book is reading and posting to these discussion forums. And, eventhough your plan is of great interest to me, I almost skipped reading your posting because I thought you were looking for information about existing books covering Buicks of the '60's and '70's. The point I want to make is this: Don't be discouraged by the lack of response in this discussion forum.<P>Here's a further thought for you as you consider this project. Many of the books covering Buicks or other makes are full of errors, wrong photo captions, and photos of cars that are clearly incorrect in several details. It will be important to have the book carefully edited and reviewed by people who have strong knowledge of the Buicks you plan to cover. If the book is accurate, that will go a long ways to encourage people to spend the money for it.

If you want to really gauge the interest in a new Buick book, you might want to take the lead from Don's offer. Start a new thread which requests photos for the book, thereby explaining the book and at what stage you're at in evaluating the prospect of publishing it. <P>You may want to start a thread on the AACA thread, as there are numerous Buick owners there that don't frequent this page.

I would gladly assist with research and accuracy through some of my channels as it would be gr8 to see a 1971 GS pictured without a 72 bumper or an original 70-72 GS 455 without the 73-74 455 emblems displayed or a 1970 Wildcat with the right wheels and center caps and not the 1973 style.A 100% authentic Buick book on all Buicks of the 60s & 70s would be a true treasure of all times.

• 2 weeks later...