So you want to be on T.V.?

Paul from PA

I responded to an ad recently for an upcoming Netflix TV show being filmed in Pittsburgh. They were looking for cars and trucks from the 60's thru early 80's. The show, from what I read, is based on FBI profiling. They called and said they would like to use my 1981 Riviera. The casting company said the director wanted the car and I am to report for Tuesday and Wednesday next week. They are to give me a time and location Monday. I don't know what it will be used for but I will keep you guys abreast as to what role if any the Buick will be used in. The show is to be "set" in the late seventies to early eighties. The car is original low miles (62,000) with normal wear. It is not a 100 point show car nor a rare one of a few. I will be on location as long as the car is there.

1981 Riviera 001.JPG

• Like 4

How cool! 

Since the car would technically be "new" then, have you devised a way to hold the headliner in place?   One time I secured some heavy wire at my local hardware store and made some bands to hold a headliner in place.  I started by forming a tab.  A 90* bend about 2-3 inches in from the end, slipped the tab into the space between the headliner trim and then unfolded enough wire to reach the other side.  There I formed another tab in the opposite direction of the first tab.  This was essential, to keep the wire from flip-flopping to the side with no tab.  In essence the wire looks like this  

|____________

|

I think I used 3/8th wire which ultimately did bend in the center. I did about three ribs.   But it kept the headliner up out of the way.  Alternately, If I were going to try this again I would look to see if I could buy any type of 1/4" flat spring steel to wedge up in there. 

• Like 1

If it was mine, I would get a can of spray trim adhesive and pull the headliner down and re-glue it.  It is not too hard to get the headliner down.  Just be sure to clean the stuff off the headliner board before spraying with the adhesive. 

When you have it out you might want to just buy  some more headliner material with the new foam.

Did it on a truck a number of years ago and is just an afternoon job or less.

Just IMO.

• Like 2

Call time for shooting was 4:30 AM in Braddock PA. Not the best suburb in Pittsburgh. There were probably 20 cars involved all for background candy. Two other Buicks, a 1974 Electra two door and a very nice low mileage 1970 Riviera, triple green. They shot the same scene over and over and over. They fed us lunch  around 12:30 and after lunch they said there was a change in plans and sent us home. They said they would resume this shooting in two or three weeks. It was interesting and boring. They had several period correct police cars that were brought in form a prop company in California. I was looking for Ponch and John but did not see them..........

• Like 1