Brake Booster Kit

Hi:

I have been looking for a brake accumulator for my '90 TC. I tried Spinning wheels and they were out and had some on order but no ETD. The Reatta site mentioned Speed mfg Co. I contacted them and they were 4 months out for delivery. They then told me they have a  brake booster kit that eliminates the accumulator, elec pump etc. They install these on a regular basis on Super Coupe turboT-birds,  saying they produce more hyd pressure than an accumulator system. The kit uses the power steering unit for the hyd power. Their site has 3 video's showing installation. They also said they furnish adapters, hoses, for fitting to the TC's firewall, Power steering pump etc. they say they have sold several kits for the TC's. Has anyone had any experience with these kits? They quoted a price of $900.00 complete. I realize these kits might not be for on owner that doesn't want to deviate from original. but it might be a new alternative for the Le-Baron system.

Here is their website:

<http://powerbrakeservice.net/new-1989-1992-ford-t-bird-hydraboost-brake-booster,html>

I have used the hydra boost kit to replace Teves in a Lincoln Mark and also used it to replace factory vacuum boost in a Chev pick up with a 350 so race modified that it didn't produce enough vacuum to work the brakes. The nice thing about the conversion kit is that it comes with everything you need in one box.  When it comes to installing the hydro boost the steering pump on the TC is not in an easy to work on location.

Thanks Digger for your input and experience.... I did ask them how long it would take to install the system. They told me they thought a good mechanic could do in in about 6 hours whereas an average guy might take the better part of a weekend. In fairness I did not did not specify the time needed for a TC auto. For those of us that either are too old or unsure of our skills, do you think this is a good estimate? I should have but didn't ask if any part of the ABS system would be left... I think not, what are your thoughts about that?

Thanks Don

4 hours ago, Degerb said:

Thanks Digger for your input and experience.... I did ask them how long it would take to install the system. They told me they thought a good mechanic could do in in about 6 hours whereas an average guy might take the better part of a weekend. In fairness I did not did not specify the time needed for a TC auto. For those of us that either are too old or unsure of our skills, do you think this is a good estimate? I should have but didn't ask if any part of the ABS system would be left... I think not, what are your thoughts about that?

Thanks Don

No ABS after the conversion. You will have some nice responsive brakes though.

5 hours ago, Digger914 said:

I have used the hydra boost kit to replace Teves in a Lincoln Mark and also used it to replace factory vacuum boost in a Chev pick up with a 350 so race modified that it didn't produce enough vacuum to work the brakes. The nice thing about the conversion kit is that it comes with everything you need in one box.  When it comes to installing the hydro boost the steering pump on the TC is not in an easy to work on location.

I'm starting to consider this move as well, do you think the placement of the power steering lines is what would make things tough? I haven't paid too much attention to the 8v's PS lines but do you think that's an issue?

I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this conversion. Hooking up to the P/S hydraulics should be interesting. Let us know what the bottom line $ is when it's done.

This could be an alternative to the installation of a stock Chrysler Vacuum Booster brake system.

The more working room you have the less time it takes. The Chev truck had plenty of room under the hood and we didn't need to spend any time under the dash, the Lincoln had less room under the hood, we also had to go under the dash and it took longer. The TC is front wheel drive and the steering pump isn't convenient but you can get your hands where you need to from the top side on the 8v when the engine is cold. The V6 engine, cold or not, you have to come up from the bottom and if you do this with the car on jack stands better plan on spending a couple of days.  This is a job best done on a hoist.

One important consideration, with hydra your power brakes go to regular brakes when the engine stops running, there is no vacuum or pressure reserve. On the plus side you do get a real master cylinder and you can stop, you just need to push harder.

ABS is integral to the Teves II and the ABS goes away with the conversion. The wheel sensors and brake lines stay on the car and a T line connects the two front lines to the master as part of the conversion. You can grab an ABS unit from any similar weight front wheel drive and restore your ABS if you want, but my personal opinion is that restoring plain old ABS on our front wheel drive isn't worth the effort or expense. ABS with traction control is an upgrade worth having in my part of the country and ABS with stability control is a whole different dog. If you ever have to take the shoulder to avoid something on the road and find yourself getting sucked into the ditch, it will keep you from ending up in the ditch on the other side of the road. Adding stability control is a heck of a job and the only ABS system I would make the effort to install after removing the Teves, if the day comes that I need replace my Teves. Should that day come, I will make my improvements with an on off switch.