bought 1930 Model U 2 door, parts needed and F/S

dix40

Just got a very clean (restored) Model U 2 door sedan. The coupes are nice and more valuable (have a PA coupe) but don't have the room. So the 2 door sedan is just right. Looked up the numbers and the 2 door sedans are as rare as the coupes. Ply made almost 50,000 4 door sedans but only about 7,000 2 door sedans. same numbe as the coupes. Anyways this one was in the owners family since his father bought it from the original owner. he completly restored it (certificate of excellent condition from insurance co). LeBaron Bonney interior is beautiful. lacquer paint, all components rebuilt.

for some reason his dad removed the emergency brake assembly. If anyone has  the assembly, I would like to by it. A one resevoir brake system makes me nervous. 

I also got a pick up full of extra parts. No small detail parts: mostly,axles,crank,cam,rearend,brake parts,steering tube, springs. let me know what you need. Maybe it is one of the boxes.

But I really would like the emergency assembly.

Copy of Copy of Plym2.jpg

Plym1.jpg

also, can anyone tell me about the windows? The windshield seems fixed. It doesn't tilt out like the PA. the owner told me there is a device to slide the window up? was covered up with the new liner. also the rear windows only go down 3/4 of the way. looks like the fender only alllows that much. Reasonable?

Welcome to the forum. Nice car! The rear/side windows can only go down 3/4 of the way. There should be a crank over the windshield on the driver's side in order to crank the windshield up a couple of inches. I may have a handbrake handle. I will look in my stuff. Can you take a photo of the passenger side of the transmission so I can see what parts you need for the handbrake?

Thanks Plyroadking. I am used to marginal brakes having ridden Indian MC's most of my life. But a big piece of steel like this with only one reservior makes me nervous. Although the car was restored 20 years ago, I found the LF brake dripping fluid. took it apart and will rebuild it tomorrow. can't drag my feet with this like I could with my Indians :)

31 minutes ago, Plyroadking said:

Not even a hole cut in the floor board either, if Keiser31 doesn't have everything I might be able to dig up a piece or two. Nice looking car!

Sorry to say, but I may have sold the extra handbrake handle that I had. Either that or I knocked it off onto the floor never to be seen again. In any case, it is not on the shelf, so it probably went to someone else. Here is a similar transmission with the needed parts shown....

Copy of Picture 11850.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

This is getting fun! I've ran across two different transmissions and parking brake styles, yours is new to me. You have the later style Detroit ball and trunion u joints vs the rubber/fiber flex discs. Not a big deal but I've never seen another besides mine and my spare. 

Anyway, the first picture is the two case styles I've ran across, the greasy one is from a 30 Desoto and matches the one in my 30 Plymouth, the rusty one is from a 1928 to some 30 Plymouths. The second picture is the "typical" 28-30 case but with the ball and trunion u joints. The 3rd picture is the one in my car. 

None of the parking brakes I have look like they will work on your car, maybe you have a Chrysler or truck transmission? I've seen those cast brake band arms on 35-38 plymouth transmissions but I doubt that you have something that new as the input shafts changed some time between 30 and 35. 

I'm not to sure where to tell you to go from here, but if there's anything I can do don't hesitate to ask 

20160518_202849-1.jpg

20160518_202507-1.jpg

20160518_202930-1.jpg

A lot of different trannies. I should have a 34assembly. The neighbor's son is here for a week and is an auto design engineer and fabricator. I'll put him to work. He loves old cars and Indian MC's.

Will keep you posted. Thx

Guest DodgeKCL

As far as I've seen over the years,the emergency brake makeup is the same throughout the CPDD cars and trucks. My 1935 KCL 1/2 ton truck has the exact same emergency/parking brake on it as my '33 Plymouth. In fact it has the same tranny. Just different ratios. And I'm pretty sure my '31 PA had the same as the '33 and '35. I agree with your comment about driving around with the original brake system BUT I've never had one fail on me in 40 years of owning a '29 U,'31PA,'33 PC and a '35 KCL. They weren't known for failing. But with that said I would want to have the emergency brake behind me just in case. They stop the vehicles VERY well. The front windshield has the exact same mechanism in it as the Chev of those years. It was made by WEED the snow chain makers. There should be a handle in the windshield header board to operate it. Seems the previous owner removed that also. Why on Earth would he remove the emergency brake lock,stock and barrel !? Just as a headsup your car is a 1930 "30 U". The '29 was just the "U" but they kept the designation for another year and so had to place the year ahead of the model/engineering code. A small point: the word PLYMOUTH on the hubcaps appears to be red. It should be gloss black the same as the half moons above and below it.    

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

I think all the old iron was interchangeable to a large degree. My old Indians very much so. I dug through my stuff and found a 34 brake arm and the 34 circle band. Also found the circle band from a 35. Hopefully between them I can put one together. Thanks for the detail info.

• 1 month later...
Guest John29Plymouth

Road King,

I think that second picture looks like the right one to me.  I have an extra brake band for a 29.  However, it is clear trhat the previous owner replaced the prop shaft and fabric U-joints, and that has to do with why he removed the emergency brake.  I would be curous to know if he put a dual master brake cylinder in.

John

The single brake reservoir was standard throughout the industry for many decades. I'm not a cynical man by nature, but I think that the dual reservoir system was as important to sales as it was to safety. There are vehicles equipped with parking brakes and there are vehicles equipped with emergency brakes. Yours, when it is pieced back together will have an excellent emergency brake. I drove my '36 P1 coupe 5 miles (city streets) to high school for a whole week using only that very effective means of stopping. In an emergency it will stop your car wonderfully. You'll see.

Guest DodgeKCL

The only problem is:have you every had a brake system just up and fail? I haven't. And I've been on the road for 56 years now and have driven just about everything. On the windshield adjustment:I was at a car show a couple of weeks ago and a '29 DeSoto was there and it had the crank up windshield. It looked like the mechanism was the same as the Plymouth but I couldn't see inside the head board of course. another possible source for parts. 

Because I used to buy and sell junkers for spare change for years, and because I've lived in MN for 66 years,  I have had brake lines blow out from rust and brake hoses blow out from age many times. Many times. There's always ample time to use what remains of the brakes to come to a safe stop.

I believe there is a place that sells crank up windshield mechanisms for Chevrolets that interchanges with Chrysler stuff. I can't think of the name of the place, though.

17 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Because I used to buy and sell junkers for spare change for years, and because I've lived in MN for 66 years,  I have had brake lines blow out from rust and brake hoses blow out from age many times. Many times. There's always ample time to use what remains of the brakes to come to a safe stop.

I don't know about that. A single master cylinder with a broken hose will not make any pressure. Therefore no remaining brakes.

1 hour ago, Bill Harmatuk said:

John

The place that sells the replacement mechanism for the roll up windshield is The Filling Station.

I bought one and it is spot on for a 30 CJ-6. I have not installed it. That is another project. Replace and assemble.

I can do pictures if someone wants.

Bill H

Thanks, Bill. That is the place I was trying to remember.

Just sayin, if a brake line breaks there is no way it could hold pressure.

And yes I drove many junkers in the old days.

When I was in high school I remember a line failing, I was barely moving but was headed down hill towards a bunch of people. I literally jammed it into reverse. In hind sight I probably should have tried turning off the ignition but was in panic mode.

I suppose if it was only a little hole you might get a little brake for a moment but 'ample brakes for a SAFE stop' doubtful.