1931 Studebaker Model 54 transmission

Looking for a good used transmission or parts to fix mine. It is the Warner "free wheeling" 3 spd. from a 1931 Studebaker Model 54 sedan that is pretty easy to identify by the button on top of the shift lever. I believe it was used for several years.  Thanks,  Greg   greg@euroah.com    509-991-6287

Greg

Only the 1931 cars had the pushbutton on the shift lever.

What is the number cast on the side of the trans. T83? maybe?

If the top of your trans with the pushbutton lever is good you maybe able to bolt it on a later trans.

I believe the guts are the same.

Did you post this in the Studebaker forum?

Robert Kapteyn

• 4 weeks later...
  1. I have a lot of transmission parts inventoried by part numbers and also a lot of good used transmission parts.
  2. I would recommend that you send it to Jerry Kurtz in PA.
  3. He is our transmission expert and is a lifelong Studebaker man.
  4. Jerry Kurtz rebuilds these transmissions and is the best around 717 308 1800

Do you have a part number list for a T79-1 trans? I would love to fix mine if possible. I could tear mine down and send pictures of the bad parts if it would help to identify them.  Thanks,  Greg

WG T79-1.PNG

Studebaker International carries reprints of chassis and body parts catalogs for your car.  The chassis parts catalog, which includes engine, transmission, clutch, etc.  covers 1928-40 six cylinder cars, 520 pages, $45.  The body parts catalog covers all 1929-40 cars, 200 pages, $22.50.  There are detailed diagrams and complete part numbers.  See www.studebaker-intl.com.  Some other Studebaker parts vendors may also have reprints of these catalogs.  If you own a Studebaker, you should have these catalogs.

• 3 years later...