Top Rest Saddle 1925-1927 Buick

Hubert_25-25

We have 5 of the 8 people needed to have top saddles reproduced in Stainless steel (and polished) for $135.each.  So far, all 5 people have 1925 cars, and I know there are other Buick owners that will be needing these for their cars.   Not in a rush to reproduce these, but would like your name if you are interested.  These should work other years as well.  The current saddle that they produce is shorter, and we are needing a saddle with a longer drop.  

We are also looking for someone who would be willing to let us borrow one of their top rest saddles for the casting.  These would be from Vintage and Classic Restorations in Australia. 

Thank you,
Hugh Leidlein
BCA # 48745

1925-25

Larry 007.JPG

Leif top rest.jpg

Rod:

I don't have a 1925 Master Book of Parts but the 1925 McLaughlin Standard book that Leif had sent me copies of does list top rests. The Flint USA book I have calls for Top Holders there is no mentioning of "rests". I picked up a cast iron set on Ebay which I feel are correct for my car. Even so the construction of these holders are inclined in at the top towards the body. That would be fine except whoever made up my adapted top sockets made the bows all the same length. The top is just as wide at the rear as at the front. So instead of the folded top slightly nesting everything stacks vertically. Leif and Hugh have given me size information from their cars to know that unless I can find the correct sockets I would  not be able to squeeze my top sockets into the clamps. So I will be using the rests for now. 

2015-11-01 19.40.47.jpg

The 1914-1930 Master parts book page 350 shows top holder part # 184696 right 184697 left for 1925-45-49-55-X45-49-55

Top rest # 182694 1925-X25-45-49-for Burbank tops (2) req.  #189186   1925-25S-X25S-1926-55-X55

Right after I got these I also found on Ebay a set of painted cast iron rests. Unfortunately when they arrived they did not match. One is longer than the other. I have not put the top down to check which is a best fit. s-l16004.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)

Thanks for that Larry,  I was thinking all cars in 1925 used the Top rests,  but it looks as if the standard used rests in 25 and the master used the holders.  I think I might go for the rests as there would me many different top holders and it would be very unlikely to get the correct ones if buying off Ebay,   So I guess it comes down to wether to use the short or long rests.

There is the 1924-55 that was advertised in the Bugle last month.  It is now on the Hemmings site at $65,000 firm. (It had already gone thru Ebay and the most it was bid to was $35,000) In the Hemmings ad there are some photos of his top holders as well as a video. The photo of the top down really looks bizarre. It sits up way too high and looks like it is covered in a bed sheet. I believe the too tall travel trunks that he and the 1925-55 advertised on antique cars.com have installed on their cars make them look that way. The holders I have for my 1925-25 very nearly match the positioning on the photo I posted on the other thread about the 1925-55. From what I have seen on these cars the rear most socket should rest in a horizontal attitude.  Leif's 1925-25 top sits lower since his last socket swings under at the pivot point while in this B/W photo (and on my car the rear socket) swings up at the pivot.

1925-55 (1024x797).jpg                                                    Kopia av Buick-25 cab nere.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We now have 7 of the 8 people needed to have side rest saddles cast in stainless steel and polished.  The price on these is less than the price of the shorter side curtain rests that they currently sell because we are buying in bulk.  We need 1 more person. 

We also need 1 person that is willing to let the foundry borrow 1 top saddle rest.  This is your opportunity to make 8 new lifelong friends. 

Thank you,

Hugh

• Like 1

hi hugh and all

thanks for your email and offer of hood bow rests but when I did my car up I used the short ones from Australia.  and I am happy with the way the car looks and if I were to change them know I would probably have to remake my cover as well

I have seen the work that Vintage and Classic Restorations in Australia do and they do a good job they make door handles and grease caps among other things for our cars  if I had a long rest I would send it to them to use as a pattern as they seemed to be pretty straight up when I talked to them at bendio swap meet here is a picture of my car to show height of hood bows with short rests and parked next to a 1925 master buick which I believe was Fairley complete when restored  thanks tony

IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_2725 (2).JPG

Larry, Thank you for the offer to use your top rest saddles, but I am not sure what those top rest saddles that you have came off of.  To cast 16 top rests, I want to use an authentic Buick part that is correct for our cars. 

So I am still looking for a someone to let us borrow a part.  We will insure it and pay for shipping.  I also still need one more person to join in that is missing their top rests.   

Hugh

Finally got "Beulah" out in the sunshine to put down the top and check both the top rests and the holders. They both have the rear socket sit in the same attitude, horizontal. I checked with a straight edge. Again my top sockets are incorrect for the car. The top does not fold well with how they were cut down.

DSCF5197.JPGDSCF5195.JPGDSCF5199.JPGDSCF5201.JPGDSCF5200.JPGDSCF5204.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)

Larry.

I don`t think you should put to much time to see if your top goes down as it should,in my wiew the lower top bow is welded together in wrong posission.On my 1925 it goes up and down comparing to yours as you proberly know,and on the other 1925 I had years ago, the lowest top bow was stright instead of curved.Both are  original tops.

Leif in Sweden.

Larrys top right side - Kopia.JPG

0094Buickrenov 5 febr. 005 - Kopia.jpg

hi all

they look about the same as mine also if my hood bows came further down on the car they will jam and rub on the body work as the gap between the bows and the tub  is not very big and they also move about a lot when driving as it is the bottom bow is rubbing on the rolled part of the back seat

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

Edited by tonybuick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

hi leif

I could but I am happy with the car the way it is and the bows sit good I'm just trying to point out  a problem that may occur on some cars if they try to lower the rest position of there bows thanks tony

• 4 months later...

I have been researching the Buick touring top components, and I want to share some of my findings.  I thank all of you that have helped and sent pictures and comments.  So my original plan was to gather enough people to have the longer top rests cast.  I have determined that my car takes the shorter top rests that are already being cast in Australia.  These were the most popular.  Several others were going to join in the group that had no top rests, and no top bows.  I think it is not a good decision to buy top rests until you know what top sockets you have.  So you will see the several different prop top sockets (turned up, turned down, and straight).  I have not added all the pictures that I have, but note that the canvas attachment is different for the different top socket styles as well.  Even the top prop socket attachment is different for the Brewster top. 

Hugh   

top rest powerpoint 1.JPG

top rest powerpoint 2.JPG

top rest powerpoint 3.JPG

top rest powerpoint 4.JPG

top rest powerpoint 5.JPG

• Like 1

I have spoken to the man that makes these he makes them out of stainless steel he paints them black because in his opinion they were black from the factory he used to make them out of a softer metal but they used to bend they are finished quite well and are clamped to the car using a Allen key from under Neath  

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Hugh,

Did anyone end up making the Buick "Long Drop" hood rests as shown in your photos?

If so, I'd be interested in a pair please.

The hole needs to be 5/8 inch.

The body is from an early Packard, now fitted to a 1923 RR 20hp.

The current clamps look very "American" in style, whereas the Buick version is a little more subtle in appearance!

Regards

Mark Roberts

South Australia

5730eb7f02654_Larry007.thumb.JPG.0add771e564a7d248da1680a40ff309c.jpg

20190506_162837.jpg

Hi Mark,

After all the investigation, it turned out that Brad was the only one that needed the long drop hood rests.  Brad has a McLaughlin and his top sockets are different than mine.  We had a chance to get a pattern out of South America, but that person never mailed the pattern.   The company that makes the short top rests is vintage and classic reproductions in Australia.  I wonder if they could make you and Brad long drop rests using their basic patterns?  

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/new_products.htm

Hugh